Lightest and the most protective conditioner seeked.

Cem

Experienced
I'm planning to get a power conditioner after an incident in the venue from last gig. Don't want to risk anything, we are fine for now btw.

I'm only using axe fx 2, single unit. Just that.

Need to protect it as much as I can, without putting much burden in the rack case. Planning to go to 3U from 2U.

I'm told to get this FurmanSound.com - 220-240V International Pro A/V Product - M-10Lx E

But does it even protect? Don't know.

I'm sure it's discussed a lot times before but. I have a bit specific needs.

1U, Lightweightest possible, will power only one unit and available in Europe!

That one should work. Some protection is better than no protection at all. I would get one with a meter to know what kind of electrical wiring I'm plugging into.

That one should work. Some protection is better than no protection at all. I would get one with a meter to know what kind of electrical wiring I'm plugging into.

There isn't such thing in Furman Merit series, and classic series are starting from 6 kilograms.

Merits are 2.3 kgs.

Nothing more then a light weight surge and noise filter with outlets, what was the issue at your last gig?

There is a M8D or something that has a meter. It's not really going to protect anything though. Just basic filtering I believe. Protection = expensive and heavy.

What happened at the gig?

There is a M8D or something that has a meter. It's not really going to protect anything though. Just basic filtering I believe. Protection = expensive and heavy.

What happened at the gig?

We had a full black-out, while I was connecting the power cable of axe. It wasn't connected yet. Electrics went off, it might happen at home also.

Wouldn't that unit prevent damage from this?

Monster power 2500 pro has a 2775 joule rating, has a voltage meter, has 8 rear outlets - split power/digital/analog filtering, 2 front outlets , has a goose neck lamp plug, and is 2 stage on/off. It weighs like 12.63 pounds.

I've owned and used one for almost 10 years now and have not had any gear damaged, gigged through many "blackouts", "dimmer sag" and and gigs with generators where there is all kinds of spikes. It plus the Axe FX II in a 3u casemakers rack works perfect for me.

I have to correct myself. @Cem: If you're in Europe (except for the UK), you'd need 230 V, not 220 V.
@JayCM800XL: The M-8Dx and its 230 V-equivalent don't have voltage regulation. Still not sure if it's what he needs, though.

I have to correct myself. @Cem: If you're in Europe (except for the UK), you'd need 230 V, not 220 V.
@JayCM800XL: The M-8Dx and its 230 V-equivalent don't have voltage regulation. Still not sure if it's what he needs, though.

Yea sorry it's 230v.

What I need is to feel safe powering up the axe, just in case anything that electrics can do to it.

Well, the PSU of the Axe-Fx can handle regular "irregularities" in the current, although there are some users here who had their PSU fried. For those rare cases, a backup PSU might come in handy (can be purchased e.g. on mouser.com). Then there are other things like noise, jitter, spikes - a cheaper model should suffice. If you wanted 99% fallout-shelter-safety for your equipment, you'd go with a model with voltage regulation, like the P-1400 AR E. If you play in venues with a fairely safe grid (I'm thinking about Germany, Austria, Switzerland etc.), you won't need a highly sophisticated power conditioner IMO. Also, a black-out shouldn't damage the Axe-Fx, unless it was caused by a massive surge/spike.

Reactions: Cem
Well, the PSU of the Axe-Fx can handle regular "irregularities" in the current, although there are some users here who had their PSU fried. For those rare cases, a backup PSU might come in handy (can be purchased e.g. on mouser.com). Then there are other things like noise, jitter, spikes - a cheaper model should suffice. If you wanted 99% fallout-shelter-safety for your equipment, you'd go with a model with voltage regulation, like the P-1400 AR E. If you play in venues with a fairely safe grid (I'm thinking about Germany, Austria, Switzerland etc.), you won't need a highly sophisticated power conditioner IMO. Also, a black-out shouldn't damage the Axe-Fx, unless it was caused by a massive surge/spike.

It's Turkey. It's not that safe at all, but I decided not to take the axe to very bad ones ( ordered a Tech 21 fly rig haha.)

The thing that I'm most afraid of is the electrics going off while axe is on. How come axe is not damaged by that? Isn't most of the electronics like Computers etc are being damaged by that most of the time? I'm not sure what is jitter and what exactly is a spike. :(

Simply cutting the power generally does not damage electronics, but there are some exceptions. In many cases, that is what flipping the power switch does. It simply disconnects the mains voltage. Computers should not be just cut off because it can cause data corruption but not really physical damage. If the hard drive is in the process of writing files or has cached files waiting to be written, cutting the power can corrupt and lose this data. Years ago, hard drives had to switch into a park state, where the read-write head physically moved off of the drive platters before powering down to prevent them from damaging the platter surface. Modern hard drives no longer have this problem. Even better, solid state drives have no moving parts at all. I suppose if you were in the process of saving a preset when the Axe lost power, it might corrupt that preset, but again I doubt it would cause any physical damage. If you lose power while updating the firmware, it can corrupt the firmware on the chip. It doesn't generally damage the chip, but without proper instructions, the Axe won't be able to function as all. Power conditioners and voltage regulators will not really do much for losses of power. A battery powered UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) is required for that. Surges on the other hand are dangerous because too much voltage causes too much current to flow. Too much current can cause components to overheat and burn out.

@Cem: Surge/spikes are sudden rises in voltage (usually milliseconds; mr_fender gave an accurate explanation) - they can harm equipment. Reason for such spikes can be lightning strikes, turning on/off devices that have a very high energy consumption on an unstable grid etc. As mr_fender explained, normal black-outs don't cause harm to the equipment because they are basically the same as pulling the plug. However, whatever preceeded the black-out which caused it in the first place (e.g. surges) could potentially harm the equipment.

Disconnecting the Axe-Fx while uploading the FW-update doesn't damage the chip - happened to me a few times. However, pulling the plug while the Axe-Fx is reprogramming itself after a FW-update could harm the unit. Nevertheless, don't try out either of it.

So in the light of those informations, the most dangerous things are Surges and spikes. So we need surge and spike protection basically. Even though it won't happen %99.9. What if it does?!

And I'm feeling that I won't be needing voltage regulators, since Cliff once mentioned that axe can live through very different voltages, high amount of tolerances.

Am I right on those thoughts?

I mean, getting http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=03&id=M-10xE this one for example. It has spike and surge protection, according to their website.

Back
Top Bottom