Light bulbs....

Of course but there's control over the ratio through calibration. True white light contains all frequencies at equal intensities. To trick our eyes into seeing white you have to get the ratios just right which a crude LED bulb never does.

Most people don't calibrate their monitors or don't know how to do it accurately. I have been a graphic designer in the print industry for 20+ years & have seen issue after issue from people who think they see one thing but are actually way off because the monitor is not calibrated & then complain because the print is "wrong". Also, most monitors are far from being able to attain, let alone hold, a perfect calibration over time. I'm sure LED lights are not "perfectly calibrated" either as most would pay the cost to do that to have the perfect light.

I wonder if people said the same thing when we went from candles and gaslight to electric lights?

Been using CREE bulbs from Home Depot and they have good color reproduction. Better than most CFL's I've used.

You can keep those incandescent bulbs too. At 1/6th the power consumption, I'll stick with LEDs. I even replaced the big fluorescent tube bulbs in my garage with LED tubes. Twice the light, 1/4th the power, and no sensitivity to frequent on/off cycles.

You can even get old school Edison style LED bulbs now too. Feit Electric makes some really cool looking ones that are great for vintage exposed bulb fixtures.

feit-electric-led-bulbs-st19-s-cl-filed-64_1000.jpg

Been using CREE bulbs from Home Depot and they have good color reproduction. Better than most CFL's I've used.

You can keep those incandescent bulbs too. At 1/6th the power consumption, I'll stick with LEDs. I even replaced the big fluorescent tube bulbs in my garage with LED tubes. Twice the light, 1/4th the power, and no sensitivity to frequent on/off cycles.

You can even get old school Edison style LED bulbs now too. Feit Electric makes some really cool looking ones that are great for vintage exposed bulb fixtures.

feit-electric-led-bulbs-st19-s-cl-filed-64_1000.jpg
These are actually really excellent. Though the Feit ones at hardware stores tend to be overpriced. I've been gradually replacing lights throughout my house with LED filaments from Amazon. The best brand I've tried so far has been Hyperikon. Actually, all if their LED replacement bulbs have been excellent. Phillips have been good as well. I've been otherwise unimpressed with most of the other LED replacement bulbs from Home Depot and Lowes.

I cannot stand white/blue-ish white light at all and have to use 2700K color temperature bulbs for everything I do. I'm ok with my 2700K LED bulbs; completely satisfied with them. I don't use dimmers so I'm good to go...

It's interesting to note that LED bulbs may consume more power, resources, to make vs an incandescent bulb's lifetime of burning; have been reading that too.

Not long after consumers installed all of these energy saving devices, our local hydro utility whined that they needed a rate increase to offset the loss of income from users consuming less power....yay.

Where I work they are replacing all of the florescent lights, removing the ballasts, and installing LED tubes. They are white-ish/high color temperature replacements but seem a bit less harsh; I like them better...I really hate fluorescent lights...

It's all good. I can't complain. I used to get worked up at all the haters but now I just laugh. I have a wonderful wife and son and a bunch of faithful, hard-working employees. Aside from my spinal stenosis and my house falling apart (LOL) things are good.

Hey, and what about us?
You´ve got a handful of fans as well.
... Maybe more than a handful

Cliff figured out how to accurately model a tube... these LED makers should be able to model a light bulb, no? (for those who are going to apples and oranges me, that was a joke).

I have seen those filament style ones - they do look pretty cool.
I do have some of the Cree ones that are 2700K - they aren't too bad as far as color temp.
My main struggle is with the PAR 30's. I have some Sylvania LED PAR 38's outside - they are 2800K and still look white-ish and florescent. I don't care too much because they're outside.
Maybe the technology just isn't there yet for some reason...
As someone else suggested, maybe I will check out the Hyperikon ones.. Or just keep waiting and hope all my halogens hold out !

I remember the first LED light bulb I got. It was super expensive, around 19e. "Yea, let's try one of those fancy new led thingamabobs!"

Blue.
Blue as those anti-drug addict lights in big city public toilets! And dimmer than the bully on your public school's second grade.

Luckily they have improved a lot in those 12 years.

I cannot stand white/blue-ish white light at all and have to use 2700K color temperature bulbs for everything I do. I'm ok with my 2700K LED bulbs; completely satisfied with them. I don't use dimmers so I'm good to go...

It's interesting to note that LED bulbs may consume more power, resources, to make vs an incandescent bulb's lifetime of burning; have been reading that too.

Not long after consumers installed all of these energy saving devices, our local hydro utility whined that they needed a rate increase to offset the loss of income from users consuming less power....yay.

Where I work they are replacing all of the florescent lights, removing the ballasts, and installing LED tubes. They are white-ish/high color temperature replacements but seem a bit less harsh; I like them better...I really hate fluorescent lights...

Cliff mentioned this earlier in the thread, and I gotta say I don't believe it at all. 1 LED bulb lasts something like 10 times as long as an incandescent, so right there is the wasted materials of the 10 bulbs, as well as the usage benefits using 6x less energy or so depending on the bulb.

It just seems like a bullshit argument people make to rationalize not using them. If someone just doesn't want to use them, then fine, but don't try to make it seem like you are the one doing the more environmentally friendly thing. Granted if someone can provide a source with real numbers behind it I would happily change my tune. I suspect the only thing one might find is a "study" done that is somehow funded by a lightbulb maker saying that it "might" be the case

Cliff mentioned this earlier in the thread, and I gotta say I don't believe it at all. 1 LED bulb lasts something like 10 times as long as an incandescent, so right there is the wasted materials of the 10 bulbs, as well as the usage benefits using 6x less energy or so depending on the bulb.

It just seems like a bullshit argument people make to rationalize not using them. If someone just doesn't want to use them, then fine, but don't try to make it seem like you are the one doing the more environmentally friendly thing. Granted if someone can provide a source with real numbers behind it I would happily change my tune. I suspect the only thing one might find is a "study" done that is somehow funded by a lightbulb maker saying that it "might" be the case

And the costs of making them are rapidly changing so any study more than a couple years old is immediately suspect. Incandescent replacing LEDs are rapidly approaching commodity level with the old tech and the liveability of them isn't that much further behind.

But we can agree that CFLs are garbage anyway you measure it. I've got several recessed CFL bathroom fixtures I can't easily replace which are wholly miserable. Getting in the shower every morning briefly feels like I'm in the Apollo 13 orbiter while the rickety ballast does its flickering five second warm-up before reluctantly blessing me with a faint warm glow.

i've been using Hue lights for years now and it hasn't really bothered me *shrug*
Philips is a big customer of my company and I had the chance to replace *every* bulb in my house with a Hue smart multi-color bulb for mega cheap (~25% of street price). I'm pretty damn picky about bulbs and they've been quite good. They're not quite as 'authentic' as the bulbs you see filling every hipster handlebar-mustache'd pub popping up, but they are definitely a good product.

I absolutely HATE LED bulbs, and the phase-out of incandescents as the result of sanctimonious politicians interfering in the lives of others. I went to all halogens for my house. They are expensive, get insanely hot, and don't last long, but I'd pay twice as much not to use those pathetic LED excuses for light bulbs. Halogens are easy on the eyes, and create an extremely pleasant living environment.

Besides the sickly light all LED "bulbs" produce (regardless of color temperature), they have no persistence. I don't care how fast you strobe one; it is a headache machine. Computer monitor and TV backlights as well. I have to put neutral density filters over my monitors and TV so I can run the brightness at 100% to eliminate the PWM. Otherwise, I can't look at a monitor or TV for more than one minute without a headache. Many monitor manufacturers are finally realizing this and eliminating PWM from their products. But I haven't found an LED bulb that is on continuously with zero PWM. I'd sooner spend my time in the dark than subject myself to these horrid manifestations of political correctness run amok.

Last edited:
the result of sanctimonious politicians interfering in the lives of others.

Uh huh...... That's like saying The Axe-Fx is the culmination of sanctimonious politicians. Makes no sense.

Many monitor manufacturers are finally realizing this and eliminating PWM from their products
Who exactly? IF anything we are moving toward less persistence to remove ghosting.

i've been using Hue lights for years now and it hasn't really bothered me *shrug*
+1

We can dial in any color/tone/intensity/warmth we want. We'll never go back to regular LED's again. A little pricey, but with a ~15+ year life expectancy...it's actually cheaper.

I cannot stand white/blue-ish white light at all and have to use 2700K color temperature bulbs for everything I do. ...

That's funny, I'm the opposite. The 2700K stuff makes me feel sorta' depressed. I have 5000K bulbs... big bright ones. I like it to feel like 12 noon in the middle of summer no matter what time/season it actually is. lol

Uh huh...... That's like saying The Axe-Fx is the culmination of sanctimonious politicians. Makes no sense.

Who exactly? IF anything we are moving toward less persistence to remove ghosting.

It's nothing like saying that. To my knowledge, no government has passed legislation to force Fractal to phase out any of its products due to government-perceived power inefficiency. I guess I should have framed that statement more clearly. I was referring to the mandated phase-out of standard home incandescent bulbs, not to the development of LEDs.

As far as who is moving away from PWM, take a look for yourself at the link below. I'm talking about LED backlight PWM, not screen persistence. LED backlight brightness is typically adjusted by turning the LEDs on and off many times a second, supposedly fast enough so your eyes/brain don't notice. The longer the "on" percentage of the pulse wave, the brighter the backlight appears (I'm sure you are familiar with this). But LEDs do not fade on or off. They are instantly on and instantly off, making flicker much easier to perceive than with florescent backlights cycled at much lower frequencies. Many monitor manufacturers are finally using other methods to adjust brightness that keeps the backlight on 100% of the time. Of course, I can foresee politicians crying foul over this as well (wasting all of that energy that could be saved during the "off" portion of the cycle). I guess they will ultimately ban space heaters, then resistors in general. All they do is waste energy.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/flicker_free_database.htm

Last edited:
I absolutely HATE LED bulbs; the result of sanctimonious politicians interfering in the lives of others. I went to all halogens for my house. They are expensive, get insanely hot, and don't last long, but I'd pay twice as much not to use those pathetic LED excuses for light bulbs. Halogens are easy on the eyes, and create an extremely pleasant living environment.

Besides the sickly light all LED "bulbs" produce (regardless of color temperature), they have no persistence. I don't care how fast you strobe one; it is a headache machine. Computer monitor and TV backlights as well. I have to put neutral density filters over my monitors and TV so I can run the brightness at 100% to eliminate the PWM. Otherwise, I can't look at a monitor or TV for more than one minute without a headache. Many monitor manufacturers are finally realizing this and eliminating PWM from their products. But I haven't found an LED bulb that is on continuously with zero PWM. I'd sooner spend my time in the dark than subject myself to these horrid manifestations of political correctness run amok.

FWIW the backlight in the Axe-Fx III is not PWM. I had the OEM change it to a circuit I designed. I eliminated PWM sources inside the unit wherever possible so as to keep EMI to a minimum.

FWIW the backlight in the Axe-Fx III is not PWM. I had the OEM change it to a circuit I designed. I eliminated PWM sources inside the unit wherever possible so as to keep EMI to a minimum.
IMO, it's worth its weight in gold. If I don't use the neutral density filter over my screen and instead adjust the brightness below 100 with the monitor's controls, I can hear the PWM switching with high gain patches when my guitar is near the monitor. The character of the noise changes with different brightness settings. It's not that different than modulating the pulse width on an analog synthesizer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom