Light bulbs....

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
So I've already bent my wife's ear enough about this - so I'm coming here to complain some more..
So heres something that I can't understand...
We can put people in outer space, we have invented computers that fit in our pockets, we have a 2 rack unit that has hundreds of amps, cabs, and effects... YET ........
NO ONE can make an LED light bulb that has the same color and actually looks like an incandescent bulb - one of the oldest electric inventions in history !!
I've tried them all - I've tried the 2700K ones, 2800K, 3000k - NONE of them look the same, or have the same nice warm glow as a regular ol light bulb...
And don't get me started on the PAR 30's !!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I agree 100 percent.
That beautiful warm light that's only available from an incandescent globe is obviously an elusive goal. Even bright LEDs don't seem to make objects as 'visible' to me- like the light is lacking in something, even though it's bright.
Thanks
Pauly

I'm pretty happy with the color temp on all the LED bulbs I got for my house. Nice, warm yellow. I got them from Home Depot in 2015 and they were all the same lot# and they all match. They weren't cheap then, like $20 a pop. I spent over $700 on bulbs for the entire house ( I also bought a ladder that day). It's a 3 story townhouse. There are 13 recessed can lights on the second floor alone. I did all the vanity lights (4 bathrooms in this place), closet lights, the washer/dryer closet, the garage, outside on the deck... lotsa lights.

Nope, they're crap and they should die. That is way too much energy wasted as heat.

I agree - I don't know how many recessed lights we have in our house - I think theres 12 in the kitchen alone - those all currently have halogen par 30's - as they start dying, I'm trying to replace them room by room. but I also want them to be consistent through the house. So the technology is changing so fast, that if I replace a few now - the chances of the same one with the exact same color being around a year from now are slim... I mean - they have red and blue and pink - but not "light bulb " color... LOL

The problem is the spectrum isn't really white. It's a mixture of red, green and blue which tricks our eyes into thinking it's white. I hate them. They don't work well with a dimmer, the color always has a weird cast. Blech. It takes more energy to make one than an incandescent bulb uses in its lifespan.

The problem is the spectrum isn't really white. It's a mixture of red, green and blue which tricks our eyes into thinking it's white. I hate them. They don't work well with a dimmer, the color always has a weird cast. Blech. It takes more energy to make one than an incandescent bulb uses in its lifespan.

Ahhh - I think I see a new business model for you Cliff...
Fractal Audio AND light bulbs.... hahaha

That's exactly what all TV & computer screens do.

Of course but there's control over the ratio through calibration. True white light contains all frequencies at equal intensities. To trick our eyes into seeing white you have to get the ratios just right which a crude LED bulb never does.

So not only do you need a better camera, you also need better LED light bulbs :)
And we also need to ditch AC distribution in the home... It should all be low voltage DC now... no more ballasts, power bricks, wasting energy on conversion. Then all driven mostly by solar power stored in batteries.

It's all good. I can't complain. I used to get worked up at all the haters but now I just laugh. I have a wonderful wife and son and a bunch of faithful, hard-working employees. Aside from my spinal stenosis and my house falling apart (LOL) things are good.

spinal stenosis SUCKS! :(

NO ONE can make an LED light bulb that has the same color and actually looks like an incandescent bulb - one of the oldest electric inventions in history !!

Have you tried the Sunbeam LED bulbs, from Costco? They're the closest I've seen. Here's a tear down and analysis from an electrical engineer;

Back
Top Bottom