Implemented LFO Controllers Hicut parameter

No love for this one? :)
Haven't tried the thing you're comparing it to, so, I'm unsure what you're asking for, here.

I don't quite understand how an LFO (which can control all kinds of things from a wah sweep, to the amount of distortion from a drive pedal, to the pitch of a synth) can have a Hi-Pass Audio Filter put on it. It's not audio, itself; it's a rising and falling computer value which controls parameters. So it's hard for me to imagine what it would mean to put a "Hicut" on it.

As I thought more about it, it occurred to me that maybe you meant to take an LFO and just make the peaks lower...but that can be done by reducing the overall range of the values-sweeping and setting the midpoint lower. So why would you need a new feature to do that?

I guess I just don't understand what you're asking for.

(But I wanted to reply to your question, "No love for this one?" Maybe other people aren't replying yet because they're just as uncertain as I am.)

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/fas-guides/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf

LFO Hicut – Lowering this control filters the LFO waveform, rounding the edges of sharp turns in its shape. The highest setting of 100Hz is basically unfiltered. Certain waveform types (saw, square, random) can otherwise cause clicks or pops as their values jump from one extreme to another. When you adjust the Rate of the flanger, you may need to re-visit this setting. A slower LFO needs a lower Hicut setting to preserve the same effect.

He's asking for the same LFO Hicut feature that exists in the Flanger block to be added to the LFO Controllers, such as the ones that can be set to control modifiers assigned to various parameters.

You can use the Attack and Decay parameters for the attached modifier to do basically the same thing. These control the damping for the controller and will smooth the movement of certain LFO shapes. For example on the square wave or the random LFO, instead of jumping from value to value, it will glide between the values based on how much damping you add. The Axe FX II had just one damping parameter, but the III has two. Attack sets the damping when the value is going up. Decay sets the damping for when the value is going down.

I don't quite understand how an LFO (which can control all kinds of things from a wah sweep, to the amount of distortion from a drive pedal, to the pitch of a synth) can have a Hi-Pass Audio Filter put on it. It's not audio, itself; it's a rising and falling computer value which controls parameters. So it's hard for me to imagine what it would mean to put a "Hicut" on it.
An audio signal is just a.... signal. Think what "high frequency" means - regardless of signal. In the time domain, it's how fast something rises or lowers- the faster it rises/lowers the more higher frequencies exist for that signal.

Now think of a random LFO shape, because of the sample and hold (I assume the random samples are generated at the LFO frequency selected), you can have really fast rises resulting in high frequencies (don't get confused with audio here).

Introducing a high-cut filter (like in the flanger block) is a nice way of "smoothing" that random wave - you can think of the low-pass filter as an interpolator, so essentially you end up with something that's similar to 1D Perlin noise.

As I thought more about it, it occurred to me that maybe you meant to take an LFO and just make the peaks lower...but that can be done by reducing the overall range of the values-sweeping and setting the midpoint lower. So why would you need a new feature to do that?
No you are thinking amplitude there.

I guess I just don't understand what you're asking for.

In simple terms, a smoother continuous LFO random shape.

He's asking for the same LFO Hicut feature that exists in the Flanger block to be added to the LFO Controllers, such as the ones that can be set to control modifiers assigned to various parameters.
Yep.

You can use the Attack and Decay parameters for the attached modifier to do basically the same thing. These control the damping for the controller and will smooth the movement of certain LFO shapes. For example on the square wave or the random LFO, instead of jumping from value to value, it will glide between the values based on how much damping you add. The Axe FX II had just one damping parameter, but the III has two. Attack sets the damping when the value is going up. Decay sets the damping for when the value is going down.

I guess that's true but I suppose it depends how attack and release damping are implemented. It may be different than putting a high-cut filter. Also with a high-cut filter you could actually see the resulting random shape in the Axe-Fx III controllers page which would be neat.

Yeah you can't see the shape of the curve itself, but you can watch how the value dot moves on the modifier curve. Helps to visualize how jumpy or smooth the transitions are.

I find setting the damping values to match the LFO tempo in terms of period give a nice smooth constantly varying result. For example, if your random LFO is set to 2 Hz, that's two cycles per second or 500 ms per cycle. Set the damping values to 500 ms so it spends the whole period in transition and never really stops.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not exactly the same as a true high cut on the LFO wave. The difference in output is sort of like the difference between a sine wave and a triangle wave. Both sweep between the same min and max values, but Triangle has those sharp corners at the extremes. Damping smooths the transition between values, but there are still corners at the value changes. High cut on the LFO can better smooth out those corners as well. You can get close with damping, but it's not exactly the same.

As I mentioned above, this wish doesn't completely solve the problem. And it isn't as convenient as a proper random LFO. In any case, it's a welcome improvement!

As I mentioned above, this wish doesn't completely solve the problem. And it isn't as convenient as a proper random LFO. In any case, it's a welcome improvement!

I guess you are mixing threads. This is about a high cut control in the LFO controllers. Nothing more. And that’s what we got now.

Back
Top Bottom