LF+ JR+ - Need a basic guide

guys it's a general midi controller, step by step guides for every possible scenario is an impossible thing to ask. all the tools are there, just like the axe-fx, just have to learn how to use it.
I'm sure FAMC's marketing will tell you its more than your average midi controller.
There is clearly a lack of basic information on the site as evident by the posts on here. I cant tell how many times I've watched those 10min videos that go into SO MUCH detail on how to navigate through the menus but nothing on the basics. The pdf manual has to be the most useless "user" manual I have ever read.
I assume the videos and manual were written by Jeff as its quite obvious, they've been written with an assumption that the consumer knows more. I have no doubt that Jeff knows his stuff but the manual in particular should have been written by a 3rd party writer.

Last time I remembered a forum was a place to discuss and gather information, so I suggest that unless you have something positive to contribute, kindly F.O. And no, the tools are not there, they are making posts like yours.

For the others, please continue to contribute to this topic as I've picked up so much valuable info so far.

I've been thinking again and IMO the best way to get their is simple.
use bank up/down for presets (not page up/down)
and in each preset you give a program change command and a second command page select
Thanks so much Voes. I will give this a go.

guys it's a general midi controller, step by step guides for every possible scenario is an impossible thing to ask. all the tools are there, just like the axe-fx, just have to learn how to use it.

Thanks for letting us know what we dont need and whats not possible, good to have that corrected. :)

Thanks for letting us know what we dont need and whats not possible, good to have that corrected. :)
I'm sure FAMC's marketing will tell you its more than your average midi controller.
There is clearly a lack of basic information on the site as evident by the posts on here. I cant tell how many times I've watched those 10min videos that go into SO MUCH detail on how to navigate through the menus but nothing on the basics. The pdf manual has to be the most useless "user" manual I have ever read.
I assume the videos and manual were written by Jeff as its quite obvious, they've been written with an assumption that the consumer knows more. I have no doubt that Jeff knows his stuff but the manual in particular should have been written by a 3rd party writer.

Last time I remembered a forum was a place to discuss and gather information, so I suggest that unless you have something positive to contribute, kindly F.O. And no, the tools are not there, they are making posts like yours.

For the others, please continue to contribute to this topic as I've picked up so much valuable info so far.

First off, good luck with this, seriously. Secondly, I read the manual and have visited the site and I'm not sure that your complaints are really valid regarding the quality of what's on there. For me, I love the way the info is presented, as 9/10 times "beginners" settings don't work for me and only muddy the water by skipping over foundational concepts that I should know prior to determining my particular needs.

The FAMC controllers are very complex and capable devices so it might be worth just understanding MIDI inside and out first: The terminology, the applications, and the functions. Then, go from there. I have gone through a few MIDI controllers and nothing made sense until I backtracked, paid attention to all the details, and went from there. It's a pain in the ass, to be sure, but it opens up a lot of avenues in the future and what you learn will apply to all MIDI devices you encounter. Sure, there will always be proprietorial stuff but at least you'll know how to sort that chaff from what you want a controller to actually do.

I don't feel there is a lack of information on the site, though. Maybe it's not geared towards beginners but in all honesty, the device isn't meant for beginners. Nothing that FAMC makes is for beginners. I've read the description for the Liquid Tracks and I still think "who the hell has that and uses it to it's full potential?" The level of programability is off the charts.

So, to justify the minute level of helpfulness here, don't skip the details on MIDI terminology and functionality, even if you need to read it five times. The watershed moment for me and MIDI controllers came after finally "getting" it by really digging into the details of MIDI functionality. It gave me the freedom and ability to program and implement the things I want my controllers to do. That said, an Axe-specific LF+ reference could be a good thing, but I would rather search my brain than wait on a forum response. That, and I didn't like the response to dpeterson, as he was actually trying to help you all help yourselves. I'm sure he can defend himself but that was just a reality check.

and in each preset you give a program change command and a second command page select

this is exactly what i was trying to say.

Maybe it's not geared towards beginners but in all honesty, the device isn't meant for beginners. Nothing that FAMC makes is for beginners.

This is where your comment becomes farcical.

Well done for joining the topic with such an insightful post. Someone with your midi knowledge (in the top 10% no less) would have been able to answer the questions without all the additional rhetoric.

Calm down beavis... just making a statement that what you guys are wanting is not possible (this is a public forum right?), take that how you wish.. I remember my first midi foot controller too. Lots of power with the liquidfoot... almost too much really. Jeff is a standup guy, and helped me out of a few binds, i'm sure if he has time he can help with the super complex things... i would use email not the board there.

OK, back to the question at hand -- yes, you absolutely can do what you've suggested. You can setup a few different pages that have different IAs, or rearrange them to put the most important ones up front. You can then associate a page with each and every preset in the LF. So if for one preset you want drive and delay front and center, you can do that by associating a page with that layout to the preset. For another preset, you can associate a different page. You don't have enough pages to create one for every single preset, but you should have enough pages to create all the combinations you want. You could also have each page have an associated "page 2" for more buttons that you don't use as often on that preset. Each "page 1" could have a button designated to go to the corresponding "page 2", and each "page 2" could have a button to go back to its corresponding "page 1."

I haven't done this yet -- i'm doing well for now by just having a few pages I toggle through that cover all of the IAs, prioritizing them based on what I use most frequently on average across the board. But I think I will eventually go the route I described above, so that the right IAs are always right there.

I just checked the editor (I don't have a LF+ yet, waiting for the 24+) and noticed that you don't need to give a second command for the page select

in the preset there is a preset parameter called default page: that's more suited for the task!

Could we start a beginners guide for this midi controller? I got it a while back but i really feel like I'm under water in programming as I am a total newb from the connecting the device to upgrading the firmware.

Just simple things upgrading, connecting & programming. As the OP said the videos go way into detail without explaining the basics first and the pdf guide is the same story as well. Cause everytime I'm about to do something i get scared that i might stuff the unit up some how.

Like i've been trying to upgrade the unit by going to firmware mode on the LF then i load the firmware file in the editor but it keeps on saying firmware failed. So I'm kind of stuck of what to do :(

Cheers,

Dan

there's a basic MIDI explanation on the FAMC forum: www.FAMCmusic.com • View topic - What is MIDI?

and here are some more:

Liquid-Foot Pro - MISC: MIDI, CC and PC explained

http://www.midi.org/aboutmidi/intromidi.pdf

Back
Top Bottom