LF JR, AXE-FX, Axe-EDIT, Atomic FR, Interface

JustinAiken

Inspired
Hey all! I've now got my rig bought, just waiting for it to get here! While I'm waiting, I wanted to make sure I have everything I need to hook it all up, because it would be wholly depressing to finally have all the units come, and not be able to use it until some cable came...

So I'm wondering:

How to connect the AFX to the Atomic: Both have balanced XLRs, so I'm guessing one XLR from the AFX to the cab? Since it's balanced, I could use a long cable without much quality loss, right?
How to connect the AFX to my interface: Can I run S/PDIF out to my 002R at the same time as the analog out is going?
How to power the LF JR: It's coming with both a 7-pin MIDI cable and a power supply... Can I power it with just the 7 pin, or it will also need the AC adapter?
How to connect the LF JR AND Axe-Edit at the same time: I have a generic no-name brand MIDI-USB cable (1 channel) and the built-in MIDI ports on the Digi 002... What manner of cables will I use so that I can edit presets on the PC while stomping on things with my foot?

Also, I have a Boss RC-20XL looper I want to use in the effects loop... will be able to set it up so that its very last in the chain, and I can switch presets without problems? So I could, for example, record a clean rhythm into the looper, then change to a distorted lead to layer on top?

JustinAiken said:
Hey all! I've now got my rig bought,

f-ing awesome :D

JustinAiken said:
How to connect the AFX to the Atomic: Both have balanced XLRs, so I'm guessing one XLR from the AFX to the cab? Since it's balanced, I could use a long cable without much quality loss, right?

Pretty much, yeah. But its less about the loss than the introduction of hum, IIRC.

JustinAiken said:
How to connect the AFX to my interface: Can I run S/PDIF out to my 002R at the same time as the analog out is going?

Yeah you can although a few people have issues with S/PDIF. Chances are you'll be fine with SPDIF from the axe fx to the computer, its mostly the other way that can get screwy.

JustinAiken said:
How to power the LF JR: It's coming with both a 7-pin MIDI cable and a power supply... Can I power it with just the 7 pin, or it will also need the AC adapter?

connect the 7 pin from the LF JR to the axe and the AC adapter that came with the LF JR to the "phantom power to pins 6 and 7" jack on the back of the axe fx near the midi section

JustinAiken said:
How to connect the LF JR AND Axe-Edit at the same time: I have a generic no-name brand MIDI-USB cable (1 channel) and the built-in MIDI ports on the Digi 002... What manner of cables will I use so that I can edit presets on the PC while stomping on things with my foot?

to be honest i have no idea. EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14027 see this thread

JustinAiken said:
Also, I have a Boss RC-20XL looper I want to use in the effects loop... will be able to set it up so that its very last in the chain, and I can switch presets without problems? So I could, for example, record a clean rhythm into the looper, then change to a distorted lead to layer on top?

yep, that'll work and its a great idea :D just make sure the FXL block is present in all of the presets you'll be changing to/from (obviously).

Back
Top Bottom