LF Jr. + Axe 2 issues. I'm pulling my hair out

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
I have a gig tonight and stupidly decided to wait until the last minute to program my LF Jr. with my Axe II. Here are my issues:

1.) When using 2x 5-pin cables, the tuner is suuuuper laggy. Completely unusable.
2.) When using a 7-pin midi cable, the LF Jr is completely unresponsive. No buttons work at all. The second I unplug the midi cable, everything works.
3.) I can't get the 2 second Menu Button hold to display the tuner, but the 3 second hold will display it even though they are set to the same IA.

The JR. worked flawlessly with the Ultra and I had absolutely no issues programming that.

Edit: I have the latest firmware 2.23 for the JR and I'm running 6.0 on the Axe FX. Weird thing I noticed after updating firmware, my liquid foot now display "P01 4B" instead of just "4B". I don't know if that's significant.

Last edited:
Just got my Jr+ yesterday. If they're truly two 5 pin midi cables, wired on all 5 pins, don't use both. I had an old dual head MIDI cable around, as I don't have a 7 pin yet. I assumed since it was two of them, that it'd be only wired 3 pins each (it had 5 pins, but I think din 5 has always been the standard, even when it was just 3 pins wired). But I was having some glitches, and tested the cable. Turns out it was all 5 pins wired after all. With a 5 pin connection on both ports (in-out in each direction of course), you're actually providing two paths for the return MIDI from the Axe. This confuses the LF. Unplug the Axe out -> LF in cable and see if that clears it up.

I don't yet have a 7 pin cable, so I'm not sure on #2 yet. Is it the Rocktron? I had asked Jeff in my pre-sales conversations with him if that was a good choice, and he emphatically said no. Lots of issues with improper wiring, and I've read conflicting reports on whether it's really a full 7 pin cable at all. If you have a multimeter around, test it out. I'm ordering the BestTronics one as soon as I determine if I want any right angle plugs on either end.

#3 might be related to #1. Or something else getting messed up in the programming. I was having some general weirdness from my initial programming efforts. At some point, I did a full reset on the LF and started over with the auto-setup wizard, and all's well now.

You cannot use 2 midi cables with the jr+. You are creating a loop. That is straight from FAMC.

Sorry-thought the + was for the lf jr+. I see now it's +axe.

Thanks for the help! I just decided to use the Ultra for tonight and dialed in a bass patch for my wife on the II. I'll figure this stuff out tomorrow. I don't know how many times I need to learn "Don't wait until the day of the gig to change things", but apparently it hasn't been enough times.

Just got my Jr+ yesterday. If they're truly two 5 pin midi cables, wired on all 5 pins, don't use both. I had an old dual head MIDI cable around, as I don't have a 7 pin yet. I assumed since it was two of them, that it'd be only wired 3 pins each (it had 5 pins, but I think din 5 has always been the standard, even when it was just 3 pins wired). But I was having some glitches, and tested the cable. Turns out it was all 5 pins wired after all. With a 5 pin connection on both ports (in-out in each direction of course), you're actually providing two paths for the return MIDI from the Axe. This confuses the LF. Unplug the Axe out -> LF in cable and see if that clears it up.

I don't yet have a 7 pin cable, so I'm not sure on #2 yet. Is it the Rocktron? I had asked Jeff in my pre-sales conversations with him if that was a good choice, and he emphatically said no. Lots of issues with improper wiring, and I've read conflicting reports on whether it's really a full 7 pin cable at all. If you have a multimeter around, test it out. I'm ordering the BestTronics one as soon as I determine if I want any right angle plugs on either end.

#3 might be related to #1. Or something else getting messed up in the programming. I was having some general weirdness from my initial programming efforts. At some point, I did a full reset on the LF and started over with the auto-setup wizard, and all's well now.

Rocktron only has 5 pins wired.

hmm.. I swear I responded to this thread the other day, but I guess it was eaten by the forum monster.

The 7-pin midi cable is brandless. I got it from a forum member and it works with the Ultra perfectly.

The 5-pin cables are two different brands, though I don't know what brand they are as I purchased them about 8 or 9 years ago. One says, "TTL" with a circle around it, the other says MIDI SYNCHRO Cable.

I don't have "Axe FX II" as an option on the liquid foot. It's only "Axe FX". Maybe something went awry in the firmware update... the LF editor isn't incredibly reliable.

I had issues with the editor freezing when I had both 5 pin cables connected as I described earlier. Once I had the connection right, it was much more stable. Not flawless, but it's working pretty well.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

The editor is very reliable here-but that's with the jr+, so maybe that's why. I love the editor.

the new LF+ editor is indeed reliable and fast, but the old LF editor isn't IMHO due the use of Java en MIDI.
On the old LF I didn't use the editor, but programmed it directly on the hardware.

I can't even get my LF Jr to connect to my computer now...

Edit: Everything works now with the Axe II. I ended up just resetting the entire LF Jr (deleting all memory) and starting from scratch programming on the controller and not in the editor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom