LF Deftones Presets (AX8)

RedDeadDawn

Hey all,

First time poster, and first Fractal product I've owned. So far, with the stock stuff I'm loving what it has. I've recently picked up a gig as the guitarist in a Deftones tribute band, and they play fairly packed shows. I've played a couple shows previously with them, and with my standard pedal board, I did a LOT of stompbox dancing to get as authentic a replication of Stephen Carpenter's sound on each song as I could. This ridiculous riverdancing was the primary reason for me to seek out something like the AX8. I see that there are a great deal of templates for Deftones stuff for AxeFX 2 and 3, but not having any luck for AX8. Anyone have any leads or suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help :)

Most of the time I use this preset converted with fractool for my "de(a)f tones"
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=2526
with some cabs made by Stephan himself (???) here : http://archive.axefx.fr/AxeFX II/Presets/ --> Stef Carpenter - Deftones - User Cab Dump
Or you can also convert those very good presets with tonematch :
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/deftones-around-the-fur-tone-match.123305/#post-1467708
The tutorial is here :
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...or-ax8-without-axe-fx-ii.149211/#post-1801639
Have fun!

Last edited:
I feel your pain, I'm in a deftones tribute band as well and had to go the fractal route. As much as I love the band and know their music. I had to fix the tuning issue. I would take 4 guitars, could have been 5 but with the fractal I now use 3. Fractal just made things easier.20190704_182729.jpg

I feel your pain, I'm in a deftones tribute band as well and had to go the fractal route. As much as I love the band and know their music. I had to fix the tuning issue. I would take 4 guitars, could have been 5 but with the fractal I now use 3. Fractal just made things easier.View attachment 57310

I feel this pain so much my man. I play in an Deftones tribute called "Elite" and I normally bring 5 guitars to our shows.

Signature 6 string for ATF tuning
Signature 7 String for Self title and SNW songs
Signature 8 string for all the new stuff
Use my Gibson Silverburst custom for Drop C off White pony
Use my Epiphone Silverburst for Standard

It's a fucking beat down. But I learned all the songs the proper way on their proper tunings, and I just can't bring myself to play thme in the wrong tunings, or on the wrong guitars.

I know who you are. You guys play in Dallas. I follow you guys on Instagram. I'm in Houston and play in deftunes. I'm the same way with playing them correctly, etc. I even go as far as making sure the bass player and singer play their parts correctly.

What you see in the pic is each guitar for a specific album. Red, 8 stuff. Purple, 7 stuff. And the black I use it for the 6 string stuff. I use the pitch block to play a certain tuning. From Adr to WP. I would consider it cheating but it's better than having to bring my other two guitars. Which are the black and green teles. But those suckers are heavy. I rather avoid back pain lol.

As for those WP presets, they sound legit 🤙🤙🤙

That's legit bro! I'll have to check you guys out!!!! I haven't messed with the pitch block yet. But it's sounding appealing. I can use my 6 for ATF and WP then, and avoid bringing my heavy ass Silverburst! I do like that tone that gives me on songs Stef plays his Tele. I have 3 Stef Signature guitars and I cannot bring myself to buy anymore of em :)

Are you using Stef's patches from Koi No Yokan at all? I use them for all the 8 string and 7 string stuff. Sounds so good! I closed the gate a bit more for songs like Diamond Eyes, but mostly just left them as they were. I wish I had a Fractal Professional to dial in all my other channels I use. I can get the basic down just fine, but when it comes to EQ and things like that, I am a total noob on the Fractal.

I go Direct out to FOH at most good venues, but I do have a Matrix Power Amp and a FR cabinet I use for practice and monitoring purposes live. They sound so good with the Fractal :)

I pretty much fanboy his guitars. I had to have them. There's one of his old natural gloss on reverb. I'm like damn, someday. As for the pitch block, look up Leon Todd on YouTube and he talks about it.

I use quite a few presets. Each album has their own with certain effects, etc. I found a good SNW preset that I use. Stef used a JMP-1, so that preset can be used for this album or that album. Just tweak it here and there. I have some experience with the fractal. Like I know what I'm doing or what I want but at the same time I'm still learning. And yes, I sometimes will use a different sounds. I went from using tempest, swerve and Rosemary. Currently using rosemary for 8 string stuff. We started playing Cmnd/Ctrl and for some reason it just didn't sound right with that preset. And it bugged me. But then I remember reading about Stef using the JMP1 on diamond eyes. Used my SNW preset and it worked.

I spoke with your drummer on IG. He broke it down. FOH is the way the go. I use my orange cab for practice and sometimes live for monitoring purposes. I use a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170. Goes very well with it but I'm thinking of getting a Friedman. Pretty soon I want to get an AXE FX III, just so my bassist and I can run in the same unit. Makes taking stuff easier.

I pretty much fanboy his guitars. I had to have them. There's one of his old natural gloss on reverb. I'm like damn, someday. As for the pitch block, look up Leon Todd on YouTube and he talks about it.

I use quite a few presets. Each album has their own with certain effects, etc. I found a good SNW preset that I use. Stef used a JMP-1, so that preset can be used for this album or that album. Just tweak it here and there. I have some experience with the fractal. Like I know what I'm doing or what I want but at the same time I'm still learning. And yes, I sometimes will use a different sounds. I went from using tempest, swerve and Rosemary. Currently using rosemary for 8 string stuff. We started playing Cmnd/Ctrl and for some reason it just didn't sound right with that preset. And it bugged me. But then I remember reading about Stef using the JMP1 on diamond eyes. Used my SNW preset and it worked.

I spoke with your drummer on IG. He broke it down. FOH is the way the go. I use my orange cab for practice and sometimes live for monitoring purposes. I use a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170. Goes very well with it but I'm thinking of getting a Friedman. Pretty soon I want to get an AXE FX III, just so my bassist and I can run in the same unit. Makes taking stuff easier.
mind sharing that snw preset?

Back
Top Bottom