LF+ and scenes

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
So i am looking to get a LF+ controller, but i just heard you can't sync iA states when the scene has changed. For those who use LF+ controllers is it a problem or just a minor issue? How do you deal with it?

good question... i have an older pro... looking into scenes now... I'm sure jeff would figure out something and program it.

Hey Paul,

I have one(for over a year) I have no trouble with scenes but I am not sure I use them correctly. Can you explain for a dummy like me exactly what you mean and I'll check tonight.

BTW-I love it. I would have to believe that it does what you are asking-it does everything else.

Last edited:
For example : When you load say scene 2 which has drive and delay on, the drive and delay ias should light up. Then you change to a different scene with drive and delay off - the drive and delay ias should reflect the change.

For me it doesn't-but I may not have it set up for that. So many parameters-I just took the easy route. Good question for Jeff at FAMC

Probably the LF doesn't poll the Axe for IA state when sending the scene cange CC. It's only a CC at the end of the day so the LF doesn't know that is a scene change command.

IMHO the best way to work out this issue is to ask Jeff for a special command.

BTW you got a LF, you don't need scenes. You can do a lot more with your pedalboard.

Probably the LF doesn't poll the Axe for IA state when sending the scene cange CC. It's only a CC at the end of the day so the LF doesn't know that is a scene change command.

IMHO the best way to work out this issue is to ask Jeff for a special command.

BTW you got a LF, you don't need scenes. You can do a lot more with your pedalboard.

Jeff says you don't need scenes if you've got the LF boards too - that it does essentially all that scenes do and more via programming. I have not seen a direct comparison of the two approaches, but I for one would like the ability to use scenes, if nothing else, because they may mitigate some spillover issues - I am not sure there are other ways to accomplish this, or so I've been led to believe. It'd be nice to have the option, that's for sure. Let us know what Jeff says.

I don't own a LF yet, but i bet scenes are far easier and faster to program than custom LF switches.

You and Jeff are both right. I currently use a Pro and am about to upgrade to a 12+. I find scenes really quick and easy and are the best bet when time is tight IMO, but the ability to have modifiers and regular on/off CCs all triggered in a single push of an IA is pretty awesome. There is crazy amount of stuff you can do with that ability.

And no, it doesn't sync scene states ATM, but if it's something you want then drop Jeff a line. I'm not sure if that's even possible. It would really depend on the AFX actually sending that data, which it may not. It might only send it via the MFC output. I don't know the answer to that, but I'm sure Jeff does or can find out.

mitigate some spillover issues
There are not spillover issues if you are only bypassing effects.

Of course some issues can happen when you are X/Y switching, if you switch to a different delay. It's not a design issue, it's all in the users' hands.

To me programming the IA switches as phaser on/off and similar and then programming the presets as a combination of switches is in the same league as scenes.

There are not spillover issues if you are only bypassing effects.

Of course some issues can happen when you are X/Y switching, if you switch to a different delay. It's not a design issue, it's all in the users' hands.

To me programming the IA switches as phaser on/off and similar and then programming the presets as a combination of switches is in the same league as scenes.

It is indeed a design issue: da thing can't do what I want it to do! :)

1. With an LF+, you can remain in one Axe patch and use LF presets to turn effects on and off, and set X/Y states.
2. With scenes, however, you can also include a scene change command in your LF preset, and therefore, control the volume, specific by scene, to account for volume changes while engaging or disengaging any effects, or to intentionally change volumes to build or decrease tension in a performance. Best example of a very simple use of Scenes with an Liquid foot, would be to have no on/off or x/y changes between preset 1 and preset 2 in a song, BUT have preset 2 be louder, by including a scene 1 CC for preset 1, and a scene 2 CC message for preset 2, and then going into the output section of the AXE FX on scene 2, and turning it up louder than scene one. Of note, you can leave the front panel display on the AXE in the output screen, and press your Liquid Foot presets, to see the volume settings for each scenes (up to 8 in an Axe FX preset). That way you can toggle between them and set the master volume for each scene.
3. With regard to the post "can I have an overdrive and delay on in scene 2, and will the LF lights turn on and off to reflect the correct effect on/off's? The answer is "ONLY if you have the IA slots turned on or bypass, active in your LF pedal". In other words, if you go into your AXE FX and pull up scene 1, turn on an overdrive and a delay, then go to scene 2 and turn those off, and save that AXE preset, and then you hook up the LF pedal and recall scene 1 and then scene 2, and your LF pedal has a button for overdrive and delay on it, the lights are NOT going to light up to reflect the different effect states between scene 1 and scene 2. This is because the LF is only receiving TUNER information FROM the Axe. It is not a full service 2-way communication between the Axe and the LF controller. If you want your little stomp box lights to light up properly, you have to set your IA initial states on a Liquid Foot preset, and also select a scene. You can set up IA slots for scene selection, but make sure you don't have more than 1 selected in the ON or bypass within a LF preset. I program mine in the command lines of a preset, so the AXE preset is selected, then the scene is selected, and then finally, the IA slots turn on or off the correct effects or choose the correct x/y states. THe only reason I keep all of that busy programming that way, is JUST SO MY LITTLE STOMPBOX LIGHTS WORK ON MY LF during performances. Yes, I could jump between scenes on the Axe front panel, and turn my effects on, select x/y states, and then save the preset, and simply send patch change and scene change commands via my LF, but if I did that, my LF lights would not reflect effect on/off's anymore......and I would be sad...sniff sniff.

Steps might work but would be horribly time consuming to program. just triggering the scene and then poll the ia's would be much easier, which would need a special switch type i'm guessing.

In my mind there's two things that scenes have over standard MIDI control from the LF. One is level snapshots, which I personally don't think I'll ever really use. The other is the convenience of programming IA, X/Y, and level within the Axe-Fx itself. That makes it really useful for using the Axe-Fx and saving changes without hooking up your foot controller. Now, that's something I can definitely make use of and why I think Jeff should incorporate scene control (somehow) in the LF. When I try to think about the logic involved in making it happen though, my head just hurts, LOL! Instead of External Device Control which just makes the LF a dedicated (dumb IMHO) Axe-Fx controller, there needs to be some sort of way to keep the LF preset memory but poll for IA and X/Y states like dpeterson is suggesting.

Hey, while we're on the subject can you LF gurus tell me how to keep a re-trigger of a preset from making any audible glitch? I'm sure there's some global setting I just haven't gotten in the right state yet.

I personally love the fact that you can control output level per scene, i dont want to give it up. If you have vol incr/decr footswitches on your controller it is super handy. If say you have a lead scene and it is too quiet at the moment of solo- just hit the vol incr switch and you're saved. It makes level issues between different effects much easier.

I personally love the fact that you can control output level per scene, i dont want to give it up. If you have vol incr/decr footswitches on your controller it is super handy. If say you have a lead scene and it is too quiet at the moment of solo- just hit the vol incr switch and you're saved. It makes level issues between different effects much easier.

Well, you can certainly recall scenes with a LF and there's nothing to update on the controller concerning levels.

Back
Top Bottom