Lexicon R1 - Scenes - help

mark12ax7

I have been using a Lexicon R1 with my Axe Fx 2 for a year now and have been very pleased.
Can anyone share or post a link to how to set it up the foot switches to go to specific scenes?
I had read the scenes mini-manual and I guess I just don't have a high midi IQ as I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

I have been using a Lexicon R1 with my Axe Fx 2 for a year now and have been very pleased.
Can anyone share or post a link to how to set it up the foot switches to go to specific scenes?
I had read the scenes mini-manual and I guess I just don't have a high midi IQ as I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

I´m sorry to let you down with this. But IIRC, I don´t think you are able to setup specific VALUES within the footswitches utilizing the same CC# number for them all. At least I haven´t found any info or workaround for it within the R1 itself as I´ve got that unit too. That very option, I realized immediately that I wouldn´t be able to do when FAS released the FW(9?) with Scenes. As I´ve looked for the possibility of the same feature with my synth, which got a similar concept: 8 variations within one patch.

Either an added option in the AxeII would be needed, or buying an external (conversion) unit that allows you to do that (i e the MIDI solutions Event Processor). But before recommending anyone buying that little gadget: I´ve just recently bought an Event Processor Plus myself and I will look into making such setting to confirm that it´s possible.

Either an added option in the AxeII would be needed, or buying an external (conversion) unit that allows you to do that (i e the MIDI solutions Event Processor). But before recommending anyone buying that little gadget: I´ve just recently bought an Event Processor Plus myself and I will look into making such setting to confirm that it´s possible.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mike!

The R1 is a great pedal. You can use the R1 to either step up and down through the scenes OR to bounce between scene 1 and scene 8. Those two options have specific CC's that you can program into your R1. Unfortunately, you can't directly access all of the scenes.

The R1 is a great pedal. You can use the R1 to either step up and down through the scenes OR to bounce between scene 1 and scene 8. Those two options have specific CC's that you can program into your R1. Unfortunately, you can't directly access all of the scenes.

Hence, why I mentioned in my previous post that specific values isn´t possible with any switch setup as CC# in the R1. Now, I´ve checked and quickly verified that the MIDI solutions Event Processor actually can come to rescue here. In this specific case you will just need a few specific settings programmed. So either the normal Event Processor (with 10 settings possible to store in it), or the Event Processor Plus (32 settings) will do just fine.
My verification setup: an virtual modular synth, where I´ve setup an "virtual footswitch board" (actually just the MIDI messages needed, see below). Connected into the Event Processor Plus, and then into the AxeII.

The SysEx code to program the Event Processor:

F0 00 00 50 29 00 F7
{ Clear All Settings - allow all MIDI events not specified below to pass through unchanged }

F0 00 00 50 29 06 00 06 01 01 03 41 7F F7
B0 33 00
{ Setting #1: If the value of Control Change #51 on MIDI channel 1 is in the range 65 - 127, turn Setting #2 On, otherwise turn setting Off. Continue to process settings }

F0 00 00 50 29 02 01 00 02 29 30 01 03 41 7F 02 03 00 07 F7
B0 00 00
B0 22 00
{ Setting #2: Map Control Change #41 - 48 events of values 65 - 127 on MIDI channel 1 to Control Change #34 events on MIDI channel 1, with the incoming Control Change number mapped to the outgoing Control Change value scaled to the range 0 - 7. Continue to process settings }

In detail:

Setting 1: the event processor scans for any incoming message of CC51. Which is the external FSW1 (pedal jack) in R1 as default, which you can and should choose to be of latching function. IF and WHEN the message (the footswitch) CC51 is set to ON (value range 65 - 127), the event processor turns its setting 2 to ON.

Setting 2: the event processor scans for any incoming messages CC# range 41-48 (which I choose as an example for each of your CC# numbers in R1 FX-mode). Digit switch 1 = CC41, digit switch 2 = 42 and so on. Each switch within the range CC41-48 and their value range 65 -127 (= on). Are all then re-mapped to the same single CC34 (default in AxeII for selecting any of the scenes with just a specific value), with the values re-scaled to range 0-7 (scene 1 - 8 ).

With the addition of one single footswitch and this event processor your R1 would now have three options, like this:
1: PC mode = preset recall
2: FX mode (FSW1 OFF ) = turns whatever effects/parameters ON/OFF in your AXE. Just as you´ve probably setup earlier.
3: FX mode (FSW1 ON ) = turns each of the R1 digits in FX mode into an direct scene recall in your AXE. Hit that FSW1 again (= OFF) and you´re back into option 2.

The nice thing as you can see above, is that the FSW1 (option 3) can be set ON or OFF. Before and/or after to whatever else you are going to do within the option 1 and 2. So you can choose to work with any of the three options, whenever you want in any order you want.

If you want to be even more bold, you could actually skip the FSW1 and have one of the normal switches (i e the AB switch) setup as an CC(51) mentioned above. Where you THEN would actually be able to select with the remaining digit switches, what kind of setting that the event processor will activate. Where EACH of that setting re-maps your CC#s, when the R1 is in FX mode, into whatever you need them for. Thus expanding the possible range of how many "virtual" switches you´ve got instead of just those real ones on your R1. Quite some upgrade IMHO...

Folks,

R1 User here as well.

Here is some good news:

Let me tell ya, that it is in fact possible to set up the R1 in a way so that you can directly access Scenes (e.g. press button 1 ==> Scene 1, press button 4 ==> Scene 4 etc.). This is how I use my R1 these days! And there is no need for external tools, software upgrades etc.

Nevertheless, there are some limitations with my "solution" that I could not solve up to now:

1.) I couldn't make the LEDs on the board to indicate, which scene is active. But the display on the R1 gives you the number of the active scene. So you do have a visual Feedback on the board. That is good enough for me at the moment.

2.) So far, I could only manage to get direct scene access with the patch being located in Slot 1. This means, that I have to copy any patch into slot 1. Once it is stored there, I can select any programmed scene directly. At present, this is fine with me, as I can cover all my different sound needs with a single patch plus different scenes.

I planned to get deeper into programming the R1 but didn't find the time to do so. The Axe sounds so nice, that I was more into playing and programming different scenes. Programming the R1 is no fun at all - especially if you are a m-idiot, as I am. I have to admit, I already forgot, how I managed to get direct scene access, but I will check and be back with details.

I don't have access to my board at the moment (left it in our rehearsal room). But I will have a look at it during the weekend. Here are some basic hints from the back of my brain on how I might have done it:

- I couldn't find a way to assign a specific value to any of the R1's buttons. So, this doesn't seem to be the way to go.

- I think I use the R1 in "direct patch access" mode (I think this is called "PC-Mode" not FX-Mode, thus the LEDs are "off")

- If you step on any of the buttons, it sends a specific CC, that could not be customized on the R1. But our AXE FX provides a lot of flexibility with midi programming. So I decided to change the CC-Values for the scenes on the AXE FX (using midi learn feature). To do so, I selected "Bank 1" on the R1. Then I programmed the Axe so that it translates incomming CCs into selecting "Patch 1" on the AXE plus selecting the scene that is linked to the related button on the R1. Like this, the Axe takes the CC provided by the R1 and translates this into scene selection.

- I have no idea how this leads to the R1 displaying the scene number. (I guess it has to do with the way the R1 is built: It shows a 3-digit number to indicate the selected "patch". In this number, the first 2 digits indicate the selected "Bank", the last digit represents the selected "Patch" in this "Bank". Like this, Buttons 0 to 9 are directly linked to the last digit on the display... When changing presets on the Axe, the R1 is not synchronized, as there is no bi-directional communication between the two units. But once, you set up your Axe as I described above, pressing button 1 (or any other button an the R1) will make the Axe to jump to patch 1 plus selecting the selected scene (connected to the selected button). From now on, R1 and Axe will stay "in sync" - as long as you stick with patch "1".

- I assume, with the above, it should be possible to access other patches (plus scenes) on the Axe by jumping to different banks on the R1. But I haven't tried yet.

- I planned to "program" buttons 1 to 5 in a way, that they switch between scenes 1 and 5 while at the same time having buttons 6 to 0 to turn on and off specific effect blocks in that selected scene. That would be an "OK-Setup" for me. So far, I have not tried this and I am not sure, whether this can be done.

- I spent quite some time trying to make the toe switch to toggle between volume and wah pedal. This would solve my biggest issue with my current setup. Unfortunately, I could not make the toe switch to do anything that the Axe would sense.

Maybe we should join forces in an effort to get the most out of our R1?

Anyway, I hope this will help you out. Let me know if it worked for you.

Take care

Snoop

Last edited:
Folks,

R1 User here as well.

Here is some good news:

Let me tell ya, that it is in fact possible to set up the R1 in a way so that you can directly access Scenes (e.g. press button 1 ==> Scene 1, press button 4 ==> Scene 4 etc.). This is how I use my R1 these days! And there is no need for external tools, software upgrades etc.

Nevertheless, there are some limitations with my "solution" that I could not solve up to now:

1.) I couldn't make the LEDs on the board to indicate, which scene is active. But the display on the R1 gives you the number of the active scene. So you do have a visual Feedback on the board. That is good enough for me at the moment.

2.) So far, I could only manage to get direct scene access with the patch being located in Slot 1. This means, that I have to copy any patch into slot 1. Once it is stored there, I can select any programmed scene directly. At present, this is fine with me, as I can cover all my different sound needs with a single patch plus different scenes.

I planned to get deeper into programming the R1 but didn't find the time to do so. The Axe sounds so nice, that I was more into playing and programming different scenes. Programming the R1 is no fun at all - especially if you are a m-idiot, as I am. I have to admit, I already forgot, how I managed to get direct scene access, but I will check and be back with details.

I don't have access to my board at the moment (left it in our rehearsal room). But I will have a look at it during the weekend. Here are some basic hints from the back of my brain on how I might have done it:

- I couldn't find a way to assign a specific value to any of the R1's buttons. So, this doesn't seem to be the way to go.

- I think I use the R1 in "direct patch access" mode (I think this is called "PC-Mode" not FX-Mode, thus the LEDs are "off")

- If you step on any of the buttons, it sends a specific CC, that could not be customized on the R1. But our AXE FX provides a lot of flexibility with midi programming. So I decided to change the CC-Values for the scenes on the AXE FX (using midi learn feature). To do so, I selected "Bank 1" on the R1. Then I programmed the Axe so that it translates incomming CCs into selecting "Patch 1" on the AXE plus selecting the scene that is linked to the related button on the R1. Like this, the Axe takes the CC provided by the R1 and translates this into scene selection.

- I have no idea how this leads to the R1 displaying the scene number. (I guess it has to do with the way the R1 is built: It shows a 3-digit number to indicate the selected "patch". In this number, the first 2 digits indicate the selected "Bank", the last digit represents the selected "Patch" in this "Bank". Like this, Buttons 0 to 9 are directly linked to the last digit on the display... When changing presets on the Axe, the R1 is not synchronized, as there is no bi-directional communication between the two units. But once, you set up your Axe as I described above, pressing button 1 (or any other button an the R1) will make the Axe to jump to patch 1 plus selecting the selected scene (connected to the selected button). From now on, R1 and Axe will stay "in sync" - as long as you stick with patch "1".

- I assume, with the above, it should be possible to access other patches (plus scenes) on the Axe by jumping to different banks on the R1. But I haven't tried yet.

- I planned to "program" buttons 1 to 5 in a way, that they switch between scenes 1 and 5 while at the same time having buttons 6 to 0 to turn on and off specific effect blocks in that selected scene. That would be an "OK-Setup" for me. So far, I have not tried this and I am not sure, whether this can be done.

- I spent quite some time trying to make the toe switch to toggle between volume and wah pedal. This would solve my biggest issue with my current setup. Unfortunately, I could not make the toe switch to do anything that the Axe would sense.

Maybe we should join forces in an effort to get the most out of our R1?

Anyway, I hope this will help you out. Let me know if it worked for you.

Take care

Snoop

Please do an investigation on your R1, it does sound interesting if you managed to find an workaround. However, given the info you posted it does IMHO sounds like that you are in fact just using Program Change (= PC mode), and just having the different Program Change numbers all tied to the same preset but with an specific CC# sent at the same time to select the scenes (I still don´t get how, as AFAIK you can´t set specific values to be sent with each CC#?).

And I don´t think you are able to get the AxeII to "learn" what CC# numbers will be tied to different scenes, as it is one CC number that you set to being the Scene selector (with its value selecting the scenes). You may probably get the AxeII to learn which CC# number you´d like to tie to the "scene selector", but to my knowledge there are still no specific values (with that CC# number) possible to be set anywhere?

Can you confirm that you´re not omitting lots of program change numbers in your R1 for the ability of having the access to the scenes?
Iow, can you select any of the 384 presets in your Axe with the R1 and still select any scenes with your method?

And please, can we all agree that just for the sake of clarity to avoid future confusion (for all of us):
Differentiate in what are CC (ID) numbers and what are CC values. Mixing these two up, makes it hard for any of us readers to follow what really are meant...

Last edited:
Mike,

to be honest, I don't understand your questions - and abviously you have a hard time trying to understand what I say.

I do my best to be as precise as I can. Hopefully it works out this time ;-)

I can confirm:
- Initially I was looking for a way to send a specific cc value to the AXE in order to change the scene selector parameter on the AXE. That would have been the "natural" way to accomplish our goal. Unfortunately, I think there is no way to send specific cc values by pressing any of the buttons 0 to 9 on the R1. At least, I did not find a way to assign a specific cc value to any of these buttons.
- I think, if you run R1 in PC mode, pressing any of buttons 0 to 9 results in transferring a specific, "fixed" CC (ID) number, that can not be altered by any kind of R1 programming. I use whatever kind of information the R1 sends if you press a button to select scenes on the AXE
- I select any of scenes 1 to 5 in any Patch/preset that has previously been loaded into Slot 1 of the Axe by pressing any of the buttons 1 to 5 on the R1.
- I am not limited to "cycle through" / up-down or toggle between scene 1 and 8
- I have not tried to change scenes in a preset located in slots 2 to 384, so I don't know whether this is possible or not.
- I run my R1 in PC Mode
- I "programmed" the Axe, not the R1

What is wrong in using PC mode for scene selection via R1? Works perfectly well for me - as long as I'm working with a preset that is stored in slot 1 of my axe.

What do you mean by "...omitting lots of pc number in my R1"? As I said: I run the R1 in default/factory configuration. All customizing nescessary to achieve scene selection via R1 has been done on the Axe-Side. So far, all works reliable. I am not aware of any downsides (though there maybe some that I am not aware of).

Again, here is what I do with my R1:
I am a simple guy - I run two different bands. For each band I created a single patch, each with up to 5 scenes to cover my sound requirements. I use my R1 in basic factory configuration and run it in pc mode. By doing some tweaks in the midi mapping of the Axe, I was able to change scenes by R1 in any patch that I load into slot 1 of the Axe. I have stored my 2 go-to patches somewhere on my Axe. When playing with any of my 2 bands, I copy the corresponding patch into slot 1 - and I am ready to go.

What do you want to do with your R1?

Cheers

Snoop

I too am a little lost in the actual process here. It would be AWESOME if you could do a quick video tutorial...I'm sure it would be a BIG hit!

Mike,

to be honest, I don't understand your questions - and abviously you have a hard time trying to understand what I say.

I do my best to be as precise as I can. Hopefully it works out this time ;-)

I can confirm:
- Initially I was looking for a way to send a specific cc value to the AXE in order to change the scene selector parameter on the AXE. That would have been the "natural" way to accomplish our goal. Unfortunately, I think there is no way to send specific cc values by pressing any of the buttons 0 to 9 on the R1. At least, I did not find a way to assign a specific cc value to any of these buttons.
- I think, if you run R1 in PC mode, pressing any of buttons 0 to 9 results in transferring a specific, "fixed" CC (ID) number, that can not be altered by any kind of R1 programming. I use whatever kind of information the R1 sends if you press a button to select scenes on the AXE
- I select any of scenes 1 to 5 in any Patch/preset that has previously been loaded into Slot 1 of the Axe by pressing any of the buttons 1 to 5 on the R1.
- I am not limited to "cycle through" / up-down or toggle between scene 1 and 8
- I have not tried to change scenes in a preset located in slots 2 to 384, so I don't know whether this is possible or not.
- I run my R1 in PC Mode
- I "programmed" the Axe, not the R1

What is wrong in using PC mode for scene selection via R1? Works perfectly well for me - as long as I'm working with a preset that is stored in slot 1 of my axe.

What do you mean by "...omitting lots of pc number in my R1"? As I said: I run the R1 in default/factory configuration. All customizing nescessary to achieve scene selection via R1 has been done on the Axe-Side. So far, all works reliable. I am not aware of any downsides (though there maybe some that I am not aware of).

Again, here is what I do with my R1:
I am a simple guy - I run two different bands. For each band I created a single patch, each with up to 5 scenes to cover my sound requirements. I use my R1 in basic factory configuration and run it in pc mode. By doing some tweaks in the midi mapping of the Axe, I was able to change scenes by R1 in any patch that I load into slot 1 of the Axe. I have stored my 2 go-to patches somewhere on my Axe. When playing with any of my 2 bands, I copy the corresponding patch into slot 1 - and I am ready to go.

What do you want to do with your R1?

Cheers

Snoop

Hey Snoop!

Sorry if I sounded harsh in my latest post, that was not intentional. Thanks for your explaination, I think it all are a bit clearer now.

Whatever solution you´ve found that works for you, I´m all happy for you! There´s nothing wrong in yours nor anyone else methods in how they get their system up and running as they see fit. Sometimes it´s easy, sometimes it´s tricky, sometimes you just gotta adapt to certain conditions instead of trying to change the conditions. As said, nothing wrong if it works for you.

We can both agree on that setting any specific value to an CC# isn´t possible, we´ve tried but failed to find it being possible in the R1.
I think that the CC#s that are being sent out at the PC#s are the same ones that you´re able to set up (albeit with no value), however as default they´re probably the numbers as stated in the manual as default intended for the MPX G2. You don´t have to but these numbers can be changed if you want. If you haven´t changed them and it all works for you in your situation, you are luckier than me. But that on the other hand, me being not as lucky is my own fault. If I´m trying to make efficient use of totally different units at the same time, I am bound to fail each and everytime I´m trying to find an workaround or are forced to adapt to conditions.

I haven´t checked so I can´t verify that these are the only numbers being sent out at every PC#s. Which means that you may very well be fully correct in your statement regarding other numbers being sent as well. And believe me, I´m not arguing with you on that. However, I´d would be surprised though if there was numbers being sent out besides all those that you are able to set up yourself (or leave as default). As I would wonder what does these numbers mean, what are they intended for and why are they beyond my "control". As I then would have to determine if I need to be precautious regarding them (so they don´t trigger things that I don´t want to happen elsewhere in other units).

I am surprised by the fact that scene selection somehow works for you if you´ve stored your preset at the first location in your AxeII. I´m glad it works for you, but I don´t understand the logics of why it works (as it, in my understanding of the R1, shouldn´t). So if you´d like to look up your settings in your R1 and how you´ve done your mapping in your AxeII and don´t mind sharing them, please do. It may benefit someone here...

I´m able to solve scene selection by my Event Processor Plus, so I´m good to go anyway. And that wasn´t even the reason for why I bought it in the first place anyway, so that is just on the plus side...

It sounds like Snoop set up custom mapping on the Axe. This doesn't involve CCs, it's just a way to map any PC to any preset and scene.

It sounds like Snoop set up custom mapping on the Axe. This doesn't involve CCs, it's just a way to map any PC to any preset and scene.

That´s what I was guessing as well.

It would be logical, thus the PC# 1 - 8 (from R1) are in the AxeII mapped in such way that they all activate the same preset but with separate specific scene set for each program change recall. In other words:

R1 PC#1 = AXEII PC#1 + scene1
R1 PC#2 = AXEII PC#1 + scene2
R1 PC#3 = AXEII PC#1 + scene3
R1 PC#4 = AXEII PC#1 + scene4
R1 PC#5 = AXEII PC#1 + scene5
R1 PC#6 = AXEII PC#1 + scene6
R1 PC#7 = AXEII PC#1 + scene7
R1 PC#8 = AXEII PC#1 + scene8

@Snoop, this is what I meant by "omitting" PC#s (see number 2-8 at the R1 side above). But I couldn´t figure out an proper way to describe what I meant. Basically you aren´t able to select preset2 in your AxeII via MIDI, since that PC#(2) number is getting re-mapped to preset 1 (= PC#1). Thus it also makes sense why the last display number in your R1 are "following" the scene numbers, you are actually recalling program change 1-8 within that R1 bank. Which is exactly what you´ve been saying with that you are working in PC mode. It´s not any CC#s from the R1 that does the scene selection, it´s eight different PC#s, all mapped to one single preset in your AxeII.

The 3 digit display in R1 shows info as this: first two equals bank (within the R1) and the last single digit is which preset in the bank selected. In the R1 you are able to set up 99 banks. Which means that with your method, you are able to have this kind of structure in the R1 with up to 99 banks (= 99 presets), where you then in each bank with the digit footswitches can recall 10 programs (0-9). Which is enough for 8 scene recalls within one preset + two extra presets/options/whatever. It´s a lot of a programming in setting up such re-mapping scheme in the AxeII for anyone needing/wanting that but it surely is possible.

As for you (Snoop), not needing such many presets. You can have one R1 bank dedicated to your first band, and a second R1 bank dedicated to your second band. Just program a similar re-map structure in your AxeII for the program changes within the second bank in your R1. Then you don´t really have to keep changing/storing your preset for each band. To keep it even more simple (and logical in the display) you can set the bank limit to be 2 as well. Then the R1 display would just show the first digit = which band (1st or 2nd). And the second digit shows which program change (= scene) you are at.

However, you aren´t able to "split" your R1 into being half PC# (preset/scene 1 -5) and half CC# (footswitch 6-9). PC-mode in the R1 turns all digit footswitches into transmitting PC#s, FX-mode turns all of them into transmitting CC#s.

At least it´s not possible to "split" it without any external tool (as i e the Event Processor), if you want to keep any sanity in it. Perhaps it´s possible with your method combined with footswitches 6-9 not transmitting any PC#s or AxeII disregarding them. Is it possible to turn a AxeII preset "off" from receiving any PC# within the mapping programming?

@All, does this kind of PC# based scene selection lead to any dropouts in the sound of the AxeII?

Last edited:
That´s what I was guessing as well.

It would be logical, thus the PC# 1 - 8 (from R1) are in the AxeII mapped in such way that they all activate the same preset but with separate specific scene set for each program change recall. In other words:

R1 PC#1 = AXEII PC#1 + scene1
R1 PC#2 = AXEII PC#1 + scene2
R1 PC#3 = AXEII PC#1 + scene3
R1 PC#4 = AXEII PC#1 + scene4
R1 PC#5 = AXEII PC#1 + scene5
R1 PC#6 = AXEII PC#1 + scene6
R1 PC#7 = AXEII PC#1 + scene7
R1 PC#8 = AXEII PC#1 + scene8

@Snoop, this is what I meant by "omitting" PC#s (see number 2-8 at the R1 side above). But I couldn´t figure out an proper way to describe what I meant. Basically you aren´t able to select preset2 in your AxeII via MIDI, since that PC#(2) number is getting re-mapped to preset 1 (= PC#1). Thus it also makes sense why the last display number in your R1 are "following" the scene numbers, you are actually recalling program change 1-8 within that R1 bank. Which is exactly what you´ve been saying with that you are working in PC mode. It´s not any CC#s from the R1 that does the scene selection, it´s eight different PC#s, all mapped to one single preset in your AxeII.

The 3 digit display in R1 shows info as this: first two equals bank (within the R1) and the last single digit is which preset in the bank selected. In the R1 you are able to set up 99 banks. Which means that with your method, you are able to have this kind of structure in the R1 with up to 99 banks (= 99 presets), where you then in each bank with the digit footswitches can recall 10 programs (0-9). Which is enough for 8 scene recalls within one preset + two extra presets/options/whatever. It´s a lot of a programming in setting up such re-mapping scheme in the AxeII for anyone needing/wanting that but it surely is possible.

As for you (Snoop), not needing such many presets. You can have one R1 bank dedicated to your first band, and a second R1 bank dedicated to your second band. Just program a similar re-map structure in your AxeII for the program changes within the second bank in your R1. Then you don´t really have to keep changing/storing your preset for each band. To keep it even more simple (and logical in the display) you can set the bank limit to be 2 as well. Then the R1 display would just show the first digit = which band (1st or 2nd). And the second digit shows which program change (= scene) you are at.

However, you aren´t able to "split" your R1 into being half PC# (preset/scene 1 -5) and half CC# (footswitch 6-9). PC-mode in the R1 turns all digit footswitches into transmitting PC#s, FX-mode turns all of them into transmitting CC#s.

At least it´s not possible to "split" it without any external tool (as i e the Event Processor), if you want to keep any sanity in it. Perhaps it´s possible with your method combined with footswitches 6-9 not transmitting any PC#s or AxeII disregarding them. Is it possible to turn a AxeII preset "off" from receiving any PC# within the mapping programming?

@All, does this kind of PC# based scene selection lead to any dropouts in the sound of the AxeII?

Mike,

as I said earlier, my rig is in our rehearsal room atm. So I can't have a look at what I've done before the weekend. But reading your last post, to me it looks like you are making ends meet! I think you are right with all the above. Obviously I caused some confusion by talking about "CC" where it should have been "PC". Sorry for that.

So, this is what we have so far:
Trick #1: by re-mapping standard pc on the R1 to same patch + different scene you can make the R1 to directly access scenes
Trick #2: by using different banks on the R1 plus using Trick #1, you can select scenes in different slots of the Axe.

So, a real-life scenario would be:
- determine, how many different patches you have that need direct scene access via R1 (e.g. you need 10 patches for your next gig)
- prepare a matching number of slots (e.g. User-Slots 1 to 10) in the AXE for direct scene access by mapping R1 PC# from R1 bank 1 to 10 to Axe PC # of slots 1 to 10 + scene 1 to 8. (oops complicated sentence... I mean, like this:

For Patch 1 in Slot 1:
R1 Bank#1 + PC#1 = AXEII PC#1 + scene1
R1 Bank#1 + PC#2 = AXEII PC#1 + scene2
R1 Bank#1 + PC#3 = AXEII PC#1 + scene3
R1 Bank#1 + PC#4 = AXEII PC#1 + scene4
R1 Bank#1 + PC#5 = AXEII PC#1 + scene5
R1 Bank#1 + PC#6 = AXEII PC#1 + scene6
R1 Bank#1 + PC#7 = AXEII PC#1 + scene7
R1 Bank#1 + PC#8 = AXEII PC#1 + scene8

For Patch 2 in Slot 2:
R1 Bank#2 + PC#1 = AXEII PC#2 + scene1
R1 Bank#2 + PC#2 = AXEII PC#2 + scene2
R1 Bank#2 + PC#3 = AXEII PC#2 + scene3
R1 Bank#2 + PC#4 = AXEII PC#2 + scene4
R1 Bank#2 + PC#5 = AXEII PC#2 + scene5
R1 Bank#2 + PC#6 = AXEII PC#2 + scene6
R1 Bank#2 + PC#7 = AXEII PC#2 + scene7
R1 Bank#2 + PC#8 = AXEII PC#2 + scene8

etc. pp.

For Patch 10 in Slot 10:
R1 Bank#10 + PC#1 = AXEII PC#10 + scene1
R1 Bank#10 + PC#2 = AXEII PC#10 + scene2
R1 Bank#10 + PC#3 = AXEII PC#10 + scene3
R1 Bank#10 + PC#4 = AXEII PC#10 + scene4
R1 Bank#10 + PC#5 = AXEII PC#10 + scene5
R1 Bank#10 + PC#6 = AXEII PC#10 + scene6
R1 Bank#10 + PC#7 = AXEII PC#10 + scene7
R1 Bank#10 + PC#8 = AXEII PC#10 + scene8

- set the bank limit of the R1 to the number of patches that need direct scene access.

Clearly, this is some stupid work. But it only has to be done once. Once you are done, you can
- select patches on the Axe by changing banks on the R1
- select scenes in any selected patch by pressing button 0 to 9
- check the currently selected patch and selected scene by checking the R1 display (First two digits give you the patch number, third number gives you the selected scene)
- copy any patch into any of the prepared slots of the AXE and direct scene access will work instantly. No additional programming needed

Unfortunately you confirm that we aren´t able to "split" your R1 into being half PC# (preset/scene 1 -5) and half CC# (footswitch 6-9). PC-mode in the R1 turns all digit footswitches into transmitting PC#s, FX-mode turns all of them into transmitting CC#s.

But you should be able to switch on and off effects in a selected patch and scene, by switching over to FXmode on the R1 by stepping on the FX-Switch, right?
Nevertheless, I fear the LED will not be in sync with the present status of the AXE (due to lack of bi-directional communication). This will be tricky, especially during live perfomances

Does the above make sense to you?

I will definitaly do some testing with my R1 in order to find out whether I need a MFC or if the R1 will do the trick for me (until I have some spare money to drop on an MFC...)

Mike, thanks for your input. You definately re-sparked my interest in midi programming of the Axe ;-)

Cheers

Snoop

Oh, I forgot to comment on potential "drop-outs" due to PC# based scene selection:

I use it all the time and haven't experienced any drop-outs yet. (I don't see why you should not give it a try. Easy to be set up). But then, it's just me. Maybe there are drop-outs that disturb your performance...

Snoop

Mike,

as I said earlier, my rig is in our rehearsal room atm. So I can't have a look at what I've done before the weekend. But reading your last post, to me it looks like you are making ends meet! I think you are right with all the above. Obviously I caused some confusion by talking about "CC" where it should have been "PC". Sorry for that.

So, this is what we have so far:
Trick #1: by re-mapping standard pc on the R1 to same patch + different scene you can make the R1 to directly access scenes
Trick #2: by using different banks on the R1 plus using Trick #1, you can select scenes in different slots of the Axe.

So, a real-life scenario would be:
- determine, how many different patches you have that need direct scene access via R1 (e.g. you need 10 patches for your next gig)
- prepare a matching number of slots (e.g. User-Slots 1 to 10) in the AXE for direct scene access by mapping R1 PC# from R1 bank 1 to 10 to Axe PC # of slots 1 to 10 + scene 1 to 8. (oops complicated sentence... I mean, like this:

For Patch 1 in Slot 1:
R1 Bank#1 + PC#1 = AXEII PC#1 + scene1
R1 Bank#1 + PC#2 = AXEII PC#1 + scene2
R1 Bank#1 + PC#3 = AXEII PC#1 + scene3
R1 Bank#1 + PC#4 = AXEII PC#1 + scene4
R1 Bank#1 + PC#5 = AXEII PC#1 + scene5
R1 Bank#1 + PC#6 = AXEII PC#1 + scene6
R1 Bank#1 + PC#7 = AXEII PC#1 + scene7
R1 Bank#1 + PC#8 = AXEII PC#1 + scene8

For Patch 2 in Slot 2:
R1 Bank#2 + PC#1 = AXEII PC#2 + scene1
R1 Bank#2 + PC#2 = AXEII PC#2 + scene2
R1 Bank#2 + PC#3 = AXEII PC#2 + scene3
R1 Bank#2 + PC#4 = AXEII PC#2 + scene4
R1 Bank#2 + PC#5 = AXEII PC#2 + scene5
R1 Bank#2 + PC#6 = AXEII PC#2 + scene6
R1 Bank#2 + PC#7 = AXEII PC#2 + scene7
R1 Bank#2 + PC#8 = AXEII PC#2 + scene8

etc. pp.

For Patch 10 in Slot 10:
R1 Bank#10 + PC#1 = AXEII PC#10 + scene1
R1 Bank#10 + PC#2 = AXEII PC#10 + scene2
R1 Bank#10 + PC#3 = AXEII PC#10 + scene3
R1 Bank#10 + PC#4 = AXEII PC#10 + scene4
R1 Bank#10 + PC#5 = AXEII PC#10 + scene5
R1 Bank#10 + PC#6 = AXEII PC#10 + scene6
R1 Bank#10 + PC#7 = AXEII PC#10 + scene7
R1 Bank#10 + PC#8 = AXEII PC#10 + scene8

- set the bank limit of the R1 to the number of patches that need direct scene access.

Clearly, this is some stupid work. But it only has to be done once. Once you are done, you can
- select patches on the Axe by changing banks on the R1
- select scenes in any selected patch by pressing button 0 to 9
- check the currently selected patch and selected scene by checking the R1 display (First two digits give you the patch number, third number gives you the selected scene)
- copy any patch into any of the prepared slots of the AXE and direct scene access will work instantly. No additional programming needed

Unfortunately you confirm that we aren´t able to "split" your R1 into being half PC# (preset/scene 1 -5) and half CC# (footswitch 6-9). PC-mode in the R1 turns all digit footswitches into transmitting PC#s, FX-mode turns all of them into transmitting CC#s.

But you should be able to switch on and off effects in a selected patch and scene, by switching over to FXmode on the R1 by stepping on the FX-Switch, right?
Nevertheless, I fear the LED will not be in sync with the present status of the AXE (due to lack of bi-directional communication). This will be tricky, especially during live perfomances

Does the above make sense to you?

I will definitaly do some testing with my R1 in order to find out whether I need a MFC or if the R1 will do the trick for me (until I have some spare money to drop on an MFC...)

Mike, thanks for your input. You definately re-sparked my interest in midi programming of the Axe ;-)

Cheers

Snoop

My pleasure! :encouragement:

Your conclusions makes perfect sense.

Be aware though that changing R1 banks (first two digits in display) doesn´t automatically load any preset/scene (corresponding to the last digit in R1 display) in your AxeII. It´s not until you´ve chosen any of the footswitches: 0 - 9, that the R1 bank change becomes activated. Thus that the corresponding AxeII preset (+ scene) becomes active too. So to select (changing) from one preset to another in your AxeII, it will take two steps.
One possible exception would be if you´re in DirectAcess-mode and changing presets there. Either directly via the digit switches or by hitting the bank switches (which will step thru and load each preset in consecutive order). IIRC, the bank switches have got the same function when you´re in FX-mode.

But yes, you will still be able to use PC-mode and FX-mode. Shouldn´t be any problem there. LEDs will unfortunately not be in "sync", not directly at least. There is an small note in the manual (advance section) about an special application you can use regarding the CC#s (in FX-mode) being the same as the ones sent out in Setups (if I understood it correctly). Then the LEDs would update their status according to what you´ve turned ON/OFF in R1. However, I don´t think that THAT would be an safe method to use to try to have some kind of fake sync with the AxeII. I think that it would depend very much on certain settings in your AxeII (i e if changes will be kept thru the scene switching or not). IMHO it´s quite tricky to follow the programming procedure in the manual regarding the Setups, so I haven´t bothered to try to understand it fully.

Perhaps if there are some kind of special MIDI/SysEx messages sent from the AxeII regarding the status for each effect block in the grid (for the MFC to follow and sync the LEDs)?
In that case, it might be possible to fetch those messages via an Event Processor and re-map them into the CC#s that would turn ON/OFF the LEDs of the R1, so that the AxeII in fact are synced with the R1. Or is it only when the MFC is in Axe-mode that the LEDs will be fully synced to the AxeII?

I have no clue on how much programming that would need though in the Event Processor. Nor if the amount of settings you can store would be sufficient (10 vs 32, depending on which model chosen).

Back
Top Bottom