Lexicon MPX R1

iohanr

Newbie to MIDI/Foot Controllers here... I intend to read the manuals, but just wanted to get this topic started on what I anticipate will soon be a bunch of questions from me on how to get this to work with the Axe-Fx.

I just bought one of these used Lexicon R1's on ebay ($135 shipped). Any initial tips or things I should be ready for as I await the arrival of the unit? I guess I should order/buy some MIDI cables. How many and what kind?

Also, I already have a Mission Control expression pedal. I am thinking I can use that as my Wah/Whammy pedal, and the built-in expression on the R1 as a Volume pedal. I guess I'll have to figure out how to program the Axe-Fx in that configuration...

Stay tuned...

I use an R1. You can use a 7-pin MIDI cable to run phatom power to the unit.

The Mission pedal will work just fine on the external expression pedal input of the R1. You can also add 3 more IA switches to it if you pick up something like the Digitech FS3X pedal. You can make the "FX mode" work with the Axe-Fx but the unit doesn't transmit the state of the FX Mode switches on patch change so its only semi-useful. But you've still got the A/B, tap, "tuner", toe switch IAs plus 3 more if you go the expansion pedal route. And it *does* transmit the state of those on patch change.

The switches tend to break down in the R1. They're cheap to replace though.

Congratz man. You acually beat me out on that pedal on ebay. We went neck and neck on her. Please let us know how it works out for you since I am considering searching the web for one assuming it works out right. :)

brokenvail said:
Congratz man. You acually beat me out on that pedal on ebay. We went neck and neck on her. Please let us know how it works out for you since I am considering searching the web for one assuming it works out right. :)

Stay tuned...I'm moving to an All Access soooooon. :)

iaresee said:
I use an R1. You can use a 7-pin MIDI cable to run phatom power to the unit.

The Mission pedal will work just fine on the external expression pedal input of the R1. You can also add 3 more IA switches to it if you pick up something like the Digitech FS3X pedal. You can make the "FX mode" work with the Axe-Fx but the unit doesn't transmit the state of the FX Mode switches on patch change so its only semi-useful. But you've still got the A/B, tap, "tuner", toe switch IAs plus 3 more if you go the expansion pedal route. And it *does* transmit the state of those on patch change.

The switches tend to break down in the R1. They're cheap to replace though.

Cool. Are there any pros/cons to using the Mission pedal into the R1 instead of direct into the Axe-Fx?

brokenvail said:

Hehe thanks. I actually waited until the last 10 seconds before I put my bid in. I always lose whenever I bid earlier than that. I did see another one up for bid though...

iaresee said:
BTW here's my report on using the R1 with the Axe-Fx. Includes my setup file for it if you want.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8507&hilit=lexicon

I saw that. It is actually what made me think of it in teh first place. About 8 years ago I set up my friends Lexicon rig and he had that pedal. Since it is out of production I did not think of it but your post reminded me of the unit.

OK... I *just* received this today. It actually came with a 7-pin MIDI cable. I haven't plugged it into the Axe-Fx yet. So, my understanding is if I have a 7-pin cable, I don't need to use the AC adapter? Here's what I will be doing later today... please let me know if I am correct/incorrect in the steps:

1. Plug the 7-PIN MIDI cable from the MIDI Out of the Lexicon into the MIDI In of the Axe-Fx.
2. Set the Axe-Fx to listen to Channel 1.
3. Set the Lexicon to transmit on Channel 1.
4. Test Bank Up/Down
5. Test Preset changing within banks
6. Test FX mode within a Preset (will this work out of the box?)
6.a. if it doesn't work, I guess I will need to do some programming/assigning of buttons?
7. Test expression pedal (after assigning it to something)

Any other tips?

iohanr said:
So, my understanding is if I have a 7-pin cable, I don't need to use the AC adapter?
Not quite. You plug the adaptor into the back of the Axe-Fx (there's a jack for it just above the MIDI jacks). And it runs the power down pins 6 & 7 on the MIDI line.

Here's what I will be doing later today... please let me know if I am correct/incorrect in the steps:

1. Plug the 7-PIN MIDI cable from the MIDI Out of the Lexicon into the MIDI In of the Axe-Fx.
4. Test Bank Up/Down
This should all just work.

6. Test FX mode within a Preset (will this work out of the box?)
6.a. if it doesn't work, I guess I will need to do some programming/assigning of buttons?
You'll need to assign each FX IA on the R1 to control an IA on the Axe-Fx. It's not hard. You can download my R1 SysEx setup from that thread up there if you like.

Once assigned to an external controller it should just work. Does for me.

Any other tips?
The IA state doesn't synchronize. It doesn't send the IA state along with the PC change. Just be aware of this.

iaresee said:
iohanr said:
So, my understanding is if I have a 7-pin cable, I don't need to use the AC adapter?
Not quite. You plug the adaptor into the back of the Axe-Fx (there's a jack for it just above the MIDI jacks). And it runs the power down pins 6 & 7 on the MIDI line.

Here's what I will be doing later today... please let me know if I am correct/incorrect in the steps:

4. Test Bank Up/Down
This should all just work.

[quote:1q3r6dbo]6. Test FX mode within a Preset (will this work out of the box?)
You'll need to assign each FX IA on the R1 to control an IA on the Axe-Fx. It's not hard. You can download my R1 SysEx setup from that thread up there if you like.

Once assigned to an external controller it should just work. Does for me.

Any other tips?
The IA state doesn't synchronize. It doesn't send the IA state along with the PC change. Just be aware of this.[/quote:1q3r6dbo]

Thanks Ian. I managed to get through Steps 1 - 5 and everything worked. I didn't get a chance to proceed and start configuring IAs in FX mode. I had to set my Bank Limit to "39" in order to access all 384 presets (0 to 383). Of course, this has the side effect of having "empty slots" for 384 to 389. The funny thing is when I click on 4 to 9 when I am on bank 38 (thereby picking 384 to 389), it brings me to preset 256... I guess it transmits a bank change to Bank B of the Axe-Fx. No worries, I plan on re-ordering my most used presets in the lower banks anyway.

Today I will experiment with the IA/FX mode and the expression pedal. Thanks for the tip re: the AC adapter to the back of the Axe-Fx. I will plug that in and try it.

Also, I noticed what you were talking about regarding the known issues with the R1 switches. Some of the switches seem to be overly sensitive and they jump a couple of numbers (i.e. like you pressed them multiple times... especially noticeable on Bank Down switch or when in Direct Access mode). They seem pretty stable when in Preset Mode though, I guess because pressing multiple times on the same preset won't have any effect.

Thanks again,
Iohan

iohanr said:
Also, I noticed what you were talking about regarding the known issues with the R1 switches. Some of the switches seem to be overly sensitive and they jump a couple of numbers (i.e. like you pressed them multiple times... especially noticeable on Bank Down switch or when in Direct Access mode). They seem pretty stable when in Preset Mode though, I guess because pressing multiple times on the same preset won't have any effect.

Thanks again,
Iohan
I have exactly the same problem with the switches on mine. You can shoot a little contact cleaner into them. That helped for a few of the switches on my R1. But at some point you just need to swap them out. They're TACT switches -- dirt cheap. Like <$1/switch.

My MPX-R1 is also in need of new switches. They all work, but they're quirky. I will be selling it (along with my MPX-G2) as soon as Fractal Audio sends me my MFC101 :)

Finaldo said:
My MPX-R1 is also in need of new switches. They all work, but they're quirky. I will be selling it (along with my MPX-G2) as soon as Fractal Audio sends me my MFC101 :)
The pedal is put together in a really interesting manner. It's quite service-able. If anyone is interested I'll post the TACT switches that are drop-in replacements. I'm about to order some from Mouser...can't abide by the wonkiness anymore.

iaresee said:
Finaldo said:
The pedal is put together in a really interesting manner. It's quite service-able. If anyone is interested I'll post the TACT switches that are drop-in replacements. I'm about to order some from Mouser...can't abide by the wonkiness anymore.
Sure, I'd like to see the info. I heard that it was a pain to replace the switches, with soldering and all. If I do anything to replace the switches, I'd like to upgrade them to something that won't just flake out again in a few years...

Finaldo said:
iaresee said:
Finaldo said:
Sure, I'd like to see the info. I heard that it was a pain to replace the switches, with soldering and all. If I do anything to replace the switches, I'd like to upgrade them to something that won't just flake out again in a few years...

Unfortunately there's no replacement solution that can be done without soldering.

If you want to do a direct replacement of the TACT switches that are in there these Omron switches are a drop replacement, but rated for a slight higher pressure and more presses: http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDeta ... 3-B3W-4005

That's a 1:1 replacement.

If you wanted to drop the TACT switch approach I've measured and did a dry fit of a Carling momentary NO switch and it will fit in the enclosure and it *just* clears the board when it's on the standoffs. Just.

You can get generic NO momentaries that'll work from Small Bear for ~$4/switch: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=672

Or if you want the super nice Carlings: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=26

Either of those will work. They're the same dimensions on the below-surface portion.

Both of those, however, will stand up taller on the top of the unit. They need to be pushed right up against the inside of the top, as far as they can go, to clear the board. So you'll end up adding about 4 - 5mm of height to each switch. Not too bad.

You do need to solder them on to the board using some jumper wires. You can use the existing vias for the TACT switches though.

The downside to doing the Carling switch replacement (aside from the cost -- which would be about $64 if you use the cheap switches and $144 if you go with Carling switches), is you can't fully remove the board from the chasis without un-screwing every switch from the top of the board. When you take it apart you'll see how the existing switch setup is done: the switches you press are actually just plungers that go down a shaft and press the top of the TACT switch. A small spring returns it to upright when you release your foot. It means the chasis and the electronics board are complete separate.

Honestly the cost to replace the switches with anything other than TACT-type switches is so high it hardly seems worth it. I paid about $140 for my R1 so just that in switches...doesn't seem worth it. The TACT switches are substantially cheaper but will definitely fail again and, shipped to me in Canada, they're still a little high at $40.

iaresee said:
...snip...
Honestly the cost to replace the switches with anything other than TACT-type switches is so high it hardly seems worth it. I paid about $140 for my R1 so just that in switches...doesn't seem worth it. The TACT switches are substantially cheaper but will definitely fail again and, shipped to me in Canada, they're still a little high at $40.
I wonder if Lexicon would replace all the switches for a reasonable cost. I just do NOT feel like putting the money and time into it since I'm getting rid of it when the Fractal controller is available.

Finaldo said:
iaresee said:
...snip...
I wonder if Lexicon would replace all the switches for a reasonable cost. I just do NOT feel like putting the money and time into it since I'm getting rid of it when the Fractal controller is available.
Someone mentioned that a DigiTech service center near them did a TACT switch replacement. If you talk to Lexicon, let me know what they say.

I'm just living with it until I can get my hands on an All Access or MFC.

iaresee said:
Someone mentioned that a DigiTech service center near them did a TACT switch replacement. If you talk to Lexicon, let me know what they say.

I'm just living with it until I can get my hands on an All Access or MFC.
I'll try giving Lexicon a call on Saturday to see what they say. It really isn't too bad, it has only really screwed up on me once while rehearsing, but I never ended up gigging with that band, and haven't used the MPX-R1 on a gig... I'd be too scared to take it to a gig, but luckily I don't really have to worry about it... I'm not in a band right now.

Still lookin' though. Maryland is a rough area to find a good rock band...

Back
Top Bottom