Levels

TD77

Inspired
Levels or leveling is something that makes me nuts at times. There seem to be multiple ways to level (amp block, output block, scene levels, in the I/o with padding). Just when I feel I have a handle on it I run I to issues.

latest issue (but figured out) was with two separate scenes. I created a dry clean scene and a wet clean scene. Needed to bring up the level on the wet but it kept screwing up the dry. Realized it’s probably becusee I was using same amp and change to one causes changed in other. Guess I need to use different channel?

have to remember also that things like chorus and other effects can affect the output. Or to check the scene levels (something I don’t quite get yet either). The learning curve continues lol

It took me a while to figure this out. In the end, it doesn’t really matter HOW you set the levels as long as they “balance” with each other.

The thing I learned late was that you can set individual scene volumes separately, both for main output (Output 1) and FX Loop (Output 2).

What I do is set the volume at the amp as a base of reference, then set each block as it’s added, ideally to maintain unity gain. Then go and set each scene volume where I want it to be. I also use the VU meters since your ears can deceive you. I use +3 dB as a reference for boosting solos.

Anyway, that’s how I do it.

Thanks. I have to remember that when I mess with an amp channel level in one scene, it will affect the same amp channel in a different scene (not leveling in the scene levels that is). This is what drove me nuts the other night. I have two clean scenes using the same amp channel. One is dry and another wet (has some chorus etc). For the dry channel I was playing my strat on the bridge pickup. When I went to the other scene, I played on the neck and lost volume. So I just adjusted the amp level. When I went back to the dry scene and the bridge pickup, the level was way loud. I was at a gig so couldn’t really try to figure out fixing it. User error in the end. I play my strat a lot and create my presets with that. I can’t imagine what I need to do if I decide to play my LP on same presets. Lol. I’ll figure it out.

You could try to adjust the pups on the Strat to be the same volume so you don't have to worry about it. If you were using a real amp and pedals, you would need to that.

You have 4 available amp settings per scene so why not just use A for clean and B for FX / different guitar etc. Personally I have my FM3 set up with 6 scenes and I find the 4 amp choices are more than enough, with either the same amp on all or a selection. It is easy to copy amp A to B,C or D and then tweak .

You have 4 available amp settings per scene so why not just use A for clean and B for FX / different guitar etc. Personally I have my FM3 set up with 6 scenes and I find the 4 amp choices are more than enough, with either the same amp on all or a selection. It is easy to copy amp A to B,C or D and then tweak .
I tend to have A be clean, B be a crunch if I need it, and the next be a lead sound. The lead channel almost always doubles as the solo channel, and I use the Out block to bump up my volume a bit on the solo scene, again, because it's usually the same channel as the lead channel.

Thanks. I have to remember that when I mess with an amp channel level in one scene, it will affect the same amp channel in a different scene (not leveling in the scene levels that is). This is what drove me nuts the other night. I have two clean scenes using the same amp channel. One is dry and another wet (has some chorus etc). For the dry channel I was playing my strat on the bridge pickup. When I went to the other scene, I played on the neck and lost volume. So I just adjusted the amp level. When I went back to the dry scene and the bridge pickup, the level was way loud. I was at a gig so couldn’t really try to figure out fixing it. User error in the end. I play my strat a lot and create my presets with that. I can’t imagine what I need to do if I decide to play my LP on same presets. Lol. I’ll figure it out.
Set up your Per-Preset Performance Controls and the Global Performance Controls so they are quickly available.

If I remember correctly, the Global controls do not include the AMP1 Input Trim, so I added it just in case I need to tweak the pre-drive level quickly for different guitars.

Something that helps me from messing levels up per scene is to dial in the clean/edge of breakup Amp settings on scene 1, Amp channel A. Then immediately copy amp channel A to all and set up scenes 2-4 to amp channel b-d respectively. Same goes for any other blocks I may need to adjust settings per scene.

Back
Top Bottom