Levels

kavevester

Inspired
Should the level knob on the Axe (front panel) act as a master volume just as master v on the amp block?

Did a gig where the P.A. front man said I had to turn the output of the Axe waaaay down like "quater to" position. I just think it did something to my sound and the boost level where different (like the angle of amplification was changed) so the boost, which is a NULL filter with higher level, was quit louder than expected.

Always thought that the Axe level knob was a little strange. Only really effective until twelve and from there nothing really happens...

Was thinking about an attenuator to do this instead of messing up the amp profile. Any thoughts on this?

The Out knob doesn’t affect the modeling. It doesn’t mess up any amp profile.

This topic is discussed weekly and is still a confusing thing to many users. Maybe some others can link you to the recent threads.

Not certain of my logic here, but...

Given your observations, one possibility is you had signals too hot in some blocks and you had digital clipping within the Axe, but you actually liked the result of that clipping on your tone.

If this is the case, then yes the output level knob could change your tone. Turning up the output knob leaves nowhere for the high level analog signal to go up above the nominal range of that output, so after noon on the knob you are not getting louder, just increasing the extent of clipping at the output.

If this is the case, maybe you can emulate this physical volume-knob dependent clipping with a block last in your chain that does a clip, and then normalize the output level so sound guys don’t get bugged by it. I don’t know what block would be good for that... maybe just a Vol or Fil block to boost the signal the precise amount that gives you the extent of sizzle you want? Maybe that pure digital clip is too harsh, and the actual interface has a more gentle clipping harder to emulate?

Or just explore adding more sizzle earlier in your drive/amp (unless you want that sizzle to also affect the reverb or chorus other stuff after amp block).

the Axe is a pretty hot Line Level instrument, depending on your patch levels, it can be really hot to the board. I usually don't have my output knob past 10-11 o'clock

Back
Top Bottom