Not a Bug Leveling out 2 with unity gain

Status
Not open for further replies.
leveling out 2 with "Unity Gain" is not possible, because the meters are extremly low - increasing out 2 level ends up in clipping even the meters are very very low:
Please upload an example preset and a backup of your "System + FC" settings from Fractal-Bot. Someone will take a look when they have a chance.

@Mr Pond, after a quick read, I think you may be misunderstanding the concept of Unity Gain. It does NOT mean that the meters for out 2 should be reaching "0 dB" -- it means that the level going out should be the same as the level coming in.

Here's a test to demonstrate things are working.

1. Connect your guitar to your amp using a patch cable. Listen and test.
2. Now place the FM3 inline on that same run: guitar, cable, FM3, cable, amp.
3. Create a preset with IN 1 and OUT 2 blocks.
4. Set the FM3 for unity gain.
5. Listen and test.

The sound and level of steps 1 and 5 should be the same. If you want to meter anything, connect these two setups to an audio interface instead of an amp. It seems that you are focusing instead on the two meters of the "Preset Leveling" screen, which are completely irrelevant in this case when Out 2 is set to Unity gain.

@Mr Pond, after a quick read, I think you may be misunderstanding the concept of Unity Gain. It does NOT mean that the meters for out 2 should be reaching "0 dB" -- it means that the level going out should be the same as the level coming in.

Here's a test to demonstrate things are working.

1. Connect your guitar to your amp using a patch cable. Listen and test.
2. Now place the FM3 inline on that same run: guitar, cable, FM3, cable, amp.
3. Create a preset with IN 1 and OUT 2 blocks.
4. Set the FM3 for unity gain.
5. Listen and test.

The sound and level of steps 1 and 5 should be the same. If you want to meter anything, connect these two setups to an audio interface instead of an amp. It seems that you are focusing instead on the two meters of the "Preset Leveling" screen, which are completely irrelevant in this case when Out 2 is set to Unity gain.

But in 3.0.2, my presets were in fact around 0 db on out 2 and 3.0.2 was running on unity gain, right?
Then i will ask differently: How can we level our presets with setup unity gain?
It's in fact trial and error with this setup because a. we can only assume how "hot" the output is and b. we can clip out 2 even if the out meter is super low.

But in 3.0.2, my presets were in fact around 0 db on out 2 and 3.0.2 was running on unity gain, right?
Then i will ask differently: How can we level our presets with setup unity gain?
It's in fact trial and error with this setup because a. we can only assume how "hot" the output is and b. we can clip out 2 even if the out meter is super low.
3.02 was not unity gain. The reason this issue was brought up and addressed is that it had previously been not working correctly. According to the tests we did, and beta testers confirmed, unity gain is now working correctly.

3.02 was not unity gain. The reason this issue was brought up and addressed is that it had previously been not working correctly. According to the tests we did, and beta testers confirmed, unity gain is now working correctly.

Ahhhh, okay! That's interesting. Was 3.0.2 just "somewhat broken" or more something like line level?
From what i get by my real cab, Cygnus line level -10 is more similar to basic 3.0.2 then unity gain ...
I just want to level and build my presets in a correct way and right now, line level -10 sounds like the right option which is still weird because i run into boss pedals and a power stage power amp ...

And because i still don't know how and there is no documentation about it: How can we level our presets with setup unity gain?
The meters are miles away and despite that i can get very early into clipping.
Is a solution to level everything with line level setup (to be around/below 0db) and then switch back to unity gain?

And because i still don't know how and there is no documentation about it: How can we level our presets with setup unity gain?
The meters are miles away and despite that i can get very early into clipping.
Is a solution to level everything with line level setup (to be around/below 0db) and then switch back to unity gain?
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to level there. Unity Gain is for use with outboard gear.

Leave the Output block 2 Level at 0, turn Output 2 knob to 100%. Done.

The whole point is that you send the exact signal level unchanged to the external gear.

You seem to be missing the point. One doesn't "level" unity gain.

Unity gain is unity gain is unity gain. Turn it on, turn the Out 2 knob to max, and that's unity gain.
Put a PEQ block in line. Set it to +6dB. Now you have unity gain +6dB. And so on.

Leveling your presets is also extremely simple. Make sure that each preset is as loud or soft as the others. You can use your ears for this, or you can use the meter. If two presets roughly match on the meters, they are roughly the same level (Fletcher Munsen and other usual factors notwithstanding).

You seem to be missing the point. One doesn't "level" unity gain.

Unity gain is unity gain is unity gain. Turn it on, turn the Out 2 knob to max, and that's unity gain.
Put a PEQ block in line. Set it to +6dB. Now you have unity gain +6dB. And so on.

Leveling your presets is also extremely simple. Make sure that each preset is as loud or soft as the others. You can use your ears for this, or you can use the meter. If two presets roughly match on the meters, they are roughly the same level (Fletcher Munsen and other usual factors notwithstanding).

I think leveling and building presets for many months with 3.0.x messed me up, because now it's different.
Like i said, in 3.0.x, i leveled everything to hit 0db at out 2 because i was thinking it was unity gain - because there were no other options.
I understand that this wasn't quite right and now, unity gain looks different.
I'll copy one of my presets, level everything to 0 and take a fresh look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom