Level vs. Master Vol.

i always thought "Trim" was a term used on older mixers, as opposed to being a new thing. Mackie i think has always called it trim.
This usage of the word "trim" is centuries old. When the crew of the USS Chesapeake trimmed the sails, they weren't cutting them. They were adjusting the sensitivity of the sails to air currents.

USSChesapeake.jpg

Fractal's approach to clarity is to use industry-standard terms wherever possible. They're pretty rigorous about that.

i always thought "Trim" was a term used on older mixers, as opposed to being a new thing. Mackie i think has always called it trim.

Sorry that was not clear, what I was trying to say is "The label Trim is used on input gain controls on mixers now"

I have been an audio engineer or involved in studio work since the sixties. When trims were trims and the term was used differently. I'm getting older and learned audio when I was young. Let's drop this whole thing. It's a waste of bandwidth.

Last edited:
trim (v) Definition: 1) To adjust the sails so that their angle to the apparent wind achieves the most power possible. 2) To move carefully to the centerline of a canoe or small boat in order to maintain stability.

Got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Sorry that was not clear, what I was trying to say is "The label Trim is used on input gain controls on mixers now"

I have been an audio engineer or involved in studio work since the sixties. When trims were trims and the term was used differently. I'm getting older and learned audio when I was young.
Cool. If you have knowledge that others don’t, then that’s sharing. No need to drop discussions about sharing and learning.

What was “trim” when it was used differently? What was “trims that were trims”?

Trim was an adjustable pad. i was taught that trims were to cut signal where gains were for adding gain. Trims and Gains are now used interchangeably. Just as guitar volume circuits are passive cut controls and create no gain, yet they are referred to as controlling gain in this thread. Amplitude was not called gain. Cutting the amplitude was not stated as adding negative gain. Gain was a term exclusive to the gain created by active amplifier circuits in relation to the input amplitude. The interchangeability of the terms gain, amplitude, trim, attenuation etc. create a certain confusion and make it difficult to discuss function.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom