Level problems with clean amp vs over driven amp?

brokenvail

Fractal Fanatic
any one else have problems leveling a clean amp with an over driven amp? I was a triptik modern on x and triptik clean on y and with a drive of 3.5 and level of 8 I still cannot get the clean amp to the line on the vu matter for level setting.

The amp block level parameter has a maximum of +20 dB. What happens if you continue increasing it beyond 8?

There may or may not be any real issue based on the information given. Post the preset if possible. Include relevant info like if this happens between 2 particular scenes, or just XY switching the amp.

The amp block level parameter has a maximum of +20 dB. What happens if you continue increasing it beyond 8?

There may or may not be any real issue based on the information given. Post the preset if possible. Include relevant info like if this happens between 2 particular scenes, or just XY switching the amp.
I have not gone past 8 out it only goes up to 10 right? It happens when switching between scenes but today I tried just doing xy for the amp in one scene and still the clean amp output is very low.

Master Volume goes to 10. Output Volume goes to +20dB. Master affects tone and simulates driving the amp harder. Once power amp compression sets in, it won't really get any louder past a certain point for most amps, just more compressed and clipped. Amp block Output Volume on the other hand is a totally transparent level adjustment. +20dB is roughly 4 times louder, so it's a huge amount of level boost available.

Last edited:
When I have a clean amp's output showing right on the line of the axe's parallell VU meters (where i like to keep all my patches, so I can put a +4 db filter boost at the end of the chain) .. and x/y switch to say, a triptik, its exactly where the VU meters are at on the clean amp, but always sounds wayy lower. Trying to figure it out.. probably EQ. or just turn it up louder and not use the filer boost for the dirty amp, it's just loud always

Make sure that your checking your perceived volumes at gig volume and in the mix. On their own, the perceived volume of clean and dirty are a little deceiving.

I am strictly using the vu meter. I have not kept going past 8 on amp level as suggested because I have not had the rig Infront of me but at 8 I was well below the line

Fellas I have been around for a while. I def know how to get it all leveled I just found it strange so I wondered if other experienced the same or similar

I hear you. When I level presets, worked on yesterday and will today, I always use an SPL meter to measure dB in the room.
That with the VU meter helps me get the volume levels to match.

Could it be that the amp you are trying to use breaks up very quickly, so to get it clean you have very low first gain stage, which doesn't give you enough signal to work with to have a loud/beefy clean? Maybe the solution is a different amp for the clean sound?

Could it be that the amp you are trying to use breaks up very quickly, so to get it clean you have very low first gain stage, which doesn't give you enough signal to work with to have a loud/beefy clean? Maybe the solution is a different amp for the clean sound?
No that is not really it I stays clean enough for me through the range of the gain knob. I lowered the gain because it was getting a bit darker than I wanted

I have experienced this exact issue. When searching for a pristine clean amp.
In order to get some volume going you turn up the input drive and then you get a little hair on it.
I have had to audition several clean amps to find one that works for me.
One of the solutions I saw was getting the clean tone at a low volume and then adjusting the volume level in the cab block to get the desired output.

Blows me away that you guys have the amp output level in the positive. For around 0/+1 on VU, I am almost always at the -15 to -20 range for amp output level.

Fellas I have been around for a while. I def know how to get it all leveled I just found it strange so I wondered if other experienced the same or similar
I apoligize if my reply is a bit muddled. But I've always noticed this. Certain amps, (the original Jazz model for e.g.) need a much higher level setting. When trying to pair a clean and dirty amp for switching between them, sometimes I use amp block main page trim to nudge the overall level, although that's a whole different effect. As for why its like this, I always imagined it just went with the accuracy of modeling. Also, I guess the sound of an amp on a clean setting may influence our ears differently than an amp set for higher gain sounds. So its a bit like apples and oranges; providing reasonable avoidance of clipping for the model, and providing the full range of accurate behavior on a clean sound is different, clipping is less predictable - it takes strumming very loudly to experience the full range (and so for such amps the setting up of gain-related reactions must, in retrospect, be lower to accommodate the total range), whereas the more gradual changes in signal of an over-driven sound are less abrupt and may? therefore be less a concern for this reason (in imagining working out Cliff's algorithms). I suppose he approached the levels that way for a reason, but I wasn't never sure of the actual reasoning.

Back
Top Bottom