Level mystery between scenes

Good point,

I used to use what ever block that was in the right location in the signal chain that had an attachable 'Level' parameter. But started using a more standardized approach when making commercial presets. In the 'Clean to Mean' packs, I chose the Cab block, as all of the presets used one (or two). In my other presets, I use 'activating' and 'bypassing' various blocks via scenes to manipulate the per-scene levels.

I think I am there now. Still not sure what is happening with the Scn Ctrl 2 not having enough range to get all levels equal. But basically it sounds like with the Clean to Mean 1 I can just use Scn Ctrl 2 as that is what Moke has set. With the others I need to check what it is attached to first.

So, to summarise:

If I want to choose the parameter I want to modify with a Scn Ctrl I need open the block, right click to bring up the edit modifier page, drop down the source menu and select Scene 2. That way the bottom row of dials on the Controller -> Modifiers page will control that parameter. Is this only when it is active? So I have to choose a block that is active on each Scene?

Are there particular blocks that I should avoid for level control? Look like Cab and Filter are ok and Cab would make the most sense as it would nearly always be activated.

Also would be keen to get your take on this video. Seems to say using the Output -> Output slider is ok for setting levels.

Also would be keen to get your take on this video. Seems to say using the Output -> Output slider is ok for setting levels.

That will work, as long as the preset isn't already using another method.

However, I chose to not use that (easier) method because it is located after all of the blocks in the grid, including effect blocks that have trails, like Delays and Reverbs. So if there is a large difference between some scene volume settings, you could hear large jumps in volume of the Delay and/or Reverb trails when switching scenes.

Also with large CPU presets, the Main output slider seems to "load last," and there can be volume jumps after the main tone has loaded. If I use this, I stay within +/- 4dB or so. I've seen some presets with 20dB boosts here, and it's really not the best way to do it. Just try it - if it works for your setup then it works, but know its limitations.

Thanks so much for these excellent and patient explanations, Moke!

I've been using multiple Modifiers tied to a single Expression pedal since my Ultra days, so thought I had a good handle on a lot of the "Clean to Mean" techniques. But the Scene Controllers part was a step that I knew could be useful to me, but hadn't gotten a handle on 'til now.

I think part of my problem was the regrettable fact that Scn Cntrl parameters are actually labeled "Scene 1" or "Scene 2"... the same issue Morelia was stumped by. That stopped me dead in my tracks until now. Again, thanks for clarifying that!

I agree with you that it would be great if AxeEdit coders could change the appropriate designations to "Scn Cntrl1" and "Scn Cntrl2", or something similar, to eliminate that confusion.

I agree with you that it would be great if AxeEdit coders could change the appropriate designations to "Scn Cntrl1" and "Scn Cntrl2", or something similar, to eliminate that confusion.
Totally agree. Could alleviate some confusion for sure. Glad this thread was useful to more than just me.

Hey, noticing this thread only now, as I wasn't tagged, and been away from the forum for a while… Yes, looks like one of my presets. Was the issue solved ?

Yes thanks, issue resolved. I just finished re-levelling all the 5 scene presets I have on my AX8. I learned a lot about setting levels which is very handy.

OK. On these clean to mean presets, I use the filter block for volume changes. But on other presets (the HGSP ones) I also used the cab block for that. Whatever the block used, the principle is the same !

Back
Top Bottom