Level matching

tcpl123

What is the best way to match levels between different presets? Is it best done in the amp model or the level slider in the output block? Having trouble getting clean amps to be similar level to gain style amps without getting digital clipping

You'll need to reduce the level of your clean patches below digital clipping levels. A compressor set up a a limiter can help squash the transients (pick attack) although I don't like that effect at all - I prefer to use a power amp near the edge of break-up for clean tones. That way if you really dig in, the power amp limits naturally and dynamically.

Then match your overdriven patch levels using your normal picking strength and most importantly, at your normal playing volume.

Preset levelling should be done only in the amp blocks. If possible use the "Preset Levelling" tool (Axe III: Tools/Preset Levelling) to compare your presets. Alternatively you have similar meters in the other Axe models.

Clean is typically louder than gain style, so start with your loudest clean presets/scenes and with your loudest guitar. Level them down so that your loudest playing "tickles the red". Then adjust the other presets/scenes.

I suggest to be consequent in levelling down (your overall output level can compensate for that), so that you still have enough room to manoevre in case you think that one or the other preset/scene must be louder e.g. in the band context later on - and that will happen, I promise ;). Otherwise you'll end up soon on clipping levels again.

set up a test tone using the synth block to establish a fader level on the device you wish to use for playback.
make sure to calibrate each time you create patches. I suggest giving yourself 10db of headroom on your output to avoid any chance of any clip.

Back
Top Bottom