Wish Level Control Generator in Axe Edit

bread

Power User
Is it possible to have a constant tone generator in Axe Edit which has a range of instrument level volumes to match (roughly) each guitar pickup type (passive hum bucker, passive single coil, active hum bucker, active single coil etc) ?

This is so I can use this facility to match levels more accurately than strumming my guitar (the levels drop quickly and vary depending on how hard I hit the strings, so I find it a bit inaccurate). The constant (maximum) output sound level from the tone generator would be roughly the maximum output level of my bridge pickup so I can set the max level consistently across all amp blocks.

I could, for example, set up my amp block, drive block and compressor, put all my (unity gain) effects in bypass and send the signal to the Axe FX in order to set the level so it exactly matches the 0db line using the volume level utility on the axe fx (the horizontal bars)

I can then do the same with my clean amp block and then just back it off 2-3db so there is the right level of variation between clean and lead, with a 5db boost (or so) for lead. This would be consistent across the board for my presets where I'm using different amps for clean and lead etc (well, it is for me anyway).

Would this be a viable solution to setting volume levels ?

Do you play in the same way a funk groove and an arpeggio part? Level matching depends on other stuff than just pure volume.
Not to mention the fact that the different harmonic response of different pickups will lead to different perceived volumes.

Do you play in the same way a funk groove and an arpeggio part? Level matching depends on other stuff than just pure volume.
Not to mention the fact that the different harmonic response of different pickups will lead to different perceived volumes.

True but that would be revealed for most situations where you set the level. I mentioned earlier that the feature should allow for alternative pickup types ..

The levels vary depending on how you hit the strings because your volume varies the same way. Which of those varied levels will you call your "actual" level? That's a pretty arbitrary decision.

As @GiRa said, the apparent volume of your tone at any given time will depend on how hard you're hitting the strings, what guitar and pickups you're using, what other instruments are playing, what band you're playing with, what part of what song you're playing...lots of stuff that the meter has no knowledge of.

The meters can only get you in the ballpark. There's no value in trying to get to exactly 0 VU because you're going to have to fine-tune your levels by ear anyway. Unless you're going to let the tone generator play guitar for you. :)

True but that would be revealed for most situations where you set the level. I mentioned earlier that the feature should allow for alternative pickup types ..
I don't want to "kill" your idea, just give some things to think about. In my opinion, the response of too many things is related to the dynamics of playing so having a signal generator will actually slow you down.

Anyway, a synth with a white noise or pink noise generator is a good place to start for pure-volume level matching.

Back
Top Bottom