Lets talk guitars

Hmmm... really? Telecaster, Telecaster slimline, Steinberger GL/GM/GR series, Rickenbacker 325/330/425/360 series , Parker Fly Mojo, Gibson SG, 335, ES175, Travis Bean, Kramer aluminium...

Tele Yes Brad Paisley shreds!! Gibson SG;s a light version of a LP and the the 335 a lighter version of a LP. Others you mentioned really?

My perfect guitar was a happy accident. For many years I was stuck with short scale Gibsons, mainly LP's and didn't get on with Fenders mainly because of the longer scale length. Anyway, I tried a musicman Axis and absolutely fell in love with the tone, and eventually learned to love the rest of it (apart from the Floyd). Then last year I tried a Musicman Albert Lee. I'd never really paid them much attention because of the unusual body shape and single coil config, but when they bought out the double humbucker version I decided to give it a go. Man, I'm so glad I did, it is the BEST guitar I've ever played by a LONG way. It just feels so right for me and I've never been so happy with a guitar, and I've owned just about all of the main makes over the years.

So I guess my point is don't dismiss a guitar until you've tried it, you never know your ideal guitar may yet be out there. Oh, and every guitarist should try a MM AL at least once in their life! YMMV

I own a '76 Gibson SG, Ibanez JS 1200, PRS Hollowbody, Gibson ES-335, Fender EJ Strat, Lone Star Strat, and a custom Suhr Standard (HSS, Basswood, flame top, SS frets) and the Suhr is by far my favorite. Just an amazing instrument. I have to say, my Lone Star was my work horse for many years, and it did take me a while to get used to the Suhr.

I go through an adjustment phase with new guitars and when switching between them, but since I play a variety of guitars, this is something I've just accepted. I regularly switch between a PRS SE Angelus (narrow nut/spacing), Les Paul, Suhr Modern, Strat, JT Variax, and a Fender Jazz Bass. I've prefer the feel of the Les Paul, but probably the weight of the Suhr. Oddly enough, I had a Les Paul Standard in the past that I never grew to like (as much a tone problem as feel), but I instantly fell in love with my current LP custom. The strat is usually the most noticeable change when switching, but once I become accustomed to it (only takes a few minutes) I actually really dig the feel and tone.

Tele Yes Brad Paisley shreds!! Gibson SG;s a light version of a LP and the the 335 a lighter version of a LP. Others you mentioned really?
An SG is merely a lighter version of an LP? Balance (physical and tone both) are totally different. By your logic, a ford fiesta and a maserati are 'the same - 4 wheels, engine in front.... And a 335 is also an 'LP'???? Dude, believe what you want, but sell me some of what yer smoking!

Similar experience here. I really wanted to bond with EBMM JP6 but after trying 3 of them they just did not work out. They looked and felt great though. I have settled on a ESP Eclipse and PRS P24 and I am thinking of adding a strat at some point.

Some of these guitars are a work of art especially the flame tops. You just want to get a few and hang them all over the house. Sigh...

Neck shape first and then, to a lesser effect, radius for me. I'm not saying it has to have a specific radius - just one that I can learn to live with.

Years ago I could only afford one decent guitar and that was a LP. I played it exclusively for maybe 4 years before moving to a whammy barred Charvel which had a wider thinner neck and compound radius - it took a bit of getting used to but then it was no probs. Then I started playing an Eggle which has a narrower and thicker neck and also went up a gauge size of strings .... I had moments of indecision with it for the first month - but mostly just getting used to the increased string tension - but learned to love it ... and still do now.

I've added a Strat, a EBMM Luke and several others since then ..... the key thing is just taking the time to get used to something 'new' I think and using the right guitar for the task required if you've a stable of them.

I did buy a Line 6 Variax 700 (pre current James Tyler ones) unseen via mail order years ago ..... now thats the only neck I've never .... and never will like!

I really wanted to bond with EBMM JP6 but after trying 3 of them they just did not work out. They looked and felt great though.

I'm very curious as to why you felt it didn't work out. If they looked and felt great, what was it about them you couldn't live with? I have one and find it to be the greatest guitar with humbuckers I've ever played/heard. Chocolate and Vanilla, but was interested in your thoughts.

Cool thread!! I guess "guitars" is really while we're all here - it's the essential fundamental of this forum.

As for my guitars, I find comfort and familiarity (two main aspects in potential playability) in Les Pauls. Of course, once that can of worms is opened, there are many aspects to a Lester than make it a winner or loser in my opinion and within the parameters of my personal tastes. I won't go into too much detail here, as subjectiveness and qualitative aspects aren't measurable to all - but a lot as to do with feel, resonance, response, tone, weight, and personality. So Lesters, to me, are kinda like 'home'... I always feel comfortable with a good one in my hands. They inspire me to be very critical of my touch and technique, being super critical of my tone and sounds. I slow down when playing a Lester...I am careful and calculative in my approach when playing one.

For "stunt guitars", you know, drop tunings, chugga, lots of deedly deedly wah wah deedly deedly playing, I go with ESP Horizons. Interestingly enough, Lesters and Horizons vary vastly. What do I love about the Horizons? Necks, speed, fretboard, thin body, and the straight angle of neck to body joinery. The latter making for extreme speed and ease of playing. They're totally different guitars, but they're what work for me. They take 11s nicely, and their craftsmanship and level of finish is absolutely incredible. I own three, and they're flawless (NT7, NT-II, FR-II). These guitars make me go a bit nuts when playing - I just give 'er and listen to what comes out.

I've been REAL tempted to try out some PRS guitars. The recent article in Guitarist(UK) of the 408 really piqued my interest and curiosity. I've never spent any quality time with a PRS. But I do know they seem to have a very devout following and I am sure that's for good reason. Maybe one day in the future - who knows.

I'm not really worried about pick ups and the like, as I end up outfitting most of my guitars with BKPs inevitably.

Surprisely I have always played Strats and always will. Tried just about everything and like someone else mentioned I only neeed 1 guitar, possibly 2. USA Deluxe Strats, I have 2 and have had others, but always Deluxe USA Strats. Just fit me well. I also perfrom the Strat Cardinal sin-trem is locked down. Never use it=never will-all 3 of my Strats are like that. No, a hard tail strat is NOT the same, not even close. You get s vibe from the trem block and springs and claw.

Of the 3 Strats I have, none have the orig pups. 08 Dlx has lindy fralin Vin hots-My main Strat sound. 06 Dlx has the seymout Dincan SC size Hb's. Lil 59, JB and a cool rails in the middle. With those two guitars I get any sound I want. Maybe not metal, but lord knows I don't want metal of any kind-just my prefs. I have an 89 Strat I bought neww. It has Custom Shop 50's on it. I like it for some rocka billy stuff byt the neck is not near as good as the 2 deluxes.
We hvae what we like and that is a great thing-Guitars are special.

just a little fun thing to add...

what is the guitar that you always wanted but never got hold of?

could be cos it's rare / exotic, or out of your price range, or cos you're a leftie spaz and the rightie version don't exist, or not made anymore and not easy to find.. etc

I'm very curious as to why you felt it didn't work out. If they looked and felt great, what was it about them you couldn't live with? I have one and find it to be the greatest guitar with humbuckers I've ever played/heard. Chocolate and Vanilla, but was interested in your thoughts.

The JP6 BFR guitars were a piece of art, light and easy to play. My issue with them is I kept comparing to the ESP Eclipse I had and could not get the "Petrucci" sound no matter how much I tweaked the presets. I just got frustrated after a while and stopped playing it. With my PRS and ESP it was effortless. Tons of sustain and aggressive tone, especially the Eclipse after I swapped the EMGs with SD Blackouts.

could be cos it's rare / exotic, or out of your price range, or cos you're a leftie spaz and the rightie version don't exist, or not made anymore and not easy to find.. etc

Ultra high-end Martin acoustic. I've never played one but I'd love to.

for me.. being a leftie spaz the list is quite long...

I always wanted / wanted to try out
a JEM Universe
a Kramer Pacer Deluxe
a Honer slim body nylon strung electro acoustic
a swirl JEM
a Jackson PC1
a Gibson L5
and probably many more that I can't recall right now

Hmm...yeah. The ones that got away.

Back in the summer of '87, a guy was selling a tiger stripe Charvel that he claimed was built for Steve Vai. Prob'ly not, but it was a sweet guitar. He wanted four bills, and I was too dumb to grab it.

More recently, my Guitar Renter had a rock solid teal Suhr Classic that rang like a bell for a grand. I wasn't sure about the color, so I walked. Went back the next day to get it and it was gone, gone, gone.

Shows I haven't learned a thing. :?

I've got a bunch of guitars. Custom shops, Prs's and other stuff I spent too much on. If I could only keep one, it would be my 2009 Deluxe American Strat.

Years ago I found a gorgeous Les Paul DC Standard with quilted Maple top and it was perfect. It played a dream. It was in a Pawn shop and was going for only $800.00, but being the poor student I was at the time, I had to let it go. Never found one like that again. Obviously, it's the one that got away for me :|.

The JP6 BFR guitars were a piece of art, light and easy to play. My issue with them is I kept comparing to the ESP Eclipse I had and could not get the "Petrucci" sound no matter how much I tweaked the presets. I just got frustrated after a while and stopped playing it. With my PRS and ESP it was effortless. Tons of sustain and aggressive tone, especially the Eclipse after I swapped the EMGs with SD Blackouts.

Ahhhh, I see. So cool how the same wood and magnets for me is so awesome, but not so much for someone else. Interestingly, I had EBMM actually build me the exact combo of parts I wanted and I waited for the guitar for 3 months. The literally built it just for me, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Back
Top Bottom