Let's Talk Cover Band Setups!

I find it kind of funny that no one mentioned guitars. One of the reasons I use four to five presets is that I typically use two guitars. If I am covering a funk or Motown, maybe Clapton, I use a Strat. If I am doing 80's rock, grab my Les Paul. Both guitars ore so different, I need Presets that are dialed in just for that guitar. They sound like shit with the other guitar. How many people use more than one guitar?
I use one guitar all night too! Usually my PRS Hollowbody or my Standard 24.

...I don't know about the rest of you guys, but too many places I play, the electricity has lots of interference, and I can't use my Single Coil pickups without loads of noise. Pisses me off, as I'm more of a SC player. . That's why I always need to have the HB Strat. Eric

The electricity has improved in the recent years, lots of places now run LEDs instead of lines of 1kW PAR cans. Still the stage is a very hot place.

The electricity has improved in the recent years, lots of places now run LEDs instead of lines of 1kW PAR cans. Still the stage is a very hot place.

Lucky you! Electricity definitely has not been upgraded in 90% of my gig spots. . I've played for 35 years of gigs now, and if anything it's worse. . lol p.s. it very well might be because of the # of TV's that bars have. . They tend to create noise with sc's. It's not any increased dimmer circuits, or par cans . .

One of my bands, I run an Eric Clapton tribute band ( http://foreverman.strikingly.com/ and https://www.facebook.com/forevermanband/ ) , and while I was originally using Strats and aiming to use the correct amps - old tweeds, Soldanos for the 80's sounds, I started to have more fun just using whatever amp my ears liked that week and working with it. Also switched back to using my MusicMan Silhouette as I prefer the way it feels over any of my strats. When we do big shows, i switch back to Strats for the authentic look of things, we've even placed Tweeds on stage so it looks like we're using them....
Generally, i'll use one or two presets a night, and add drives and effects as is needed.

I try to recreate a "live" setup, but not a patch per song thing. In other words. I only use one or two amps with varying amounts of gain, almost always from the amp and not a "pedal". This also gives the audience, FOH, and me some consistency. I have four patches that go from left to right on the top row of foot switches (F5-F8) labeled clean, grit, crunch, and heavy. I use FS1 as scene 1/2 with scene two adding in an OD pedal with volume boost and also a delay. This is always for leads only. FS2-4 turns chorus, delay, and reverb on/off. I have a mission engineering pedal that is used for both volume and wah (like the Line 6 Pods) I get a lot of mileage from this setup. It is also great when working up new covers, but I do occasionally have a preset for song patch. I do this with the stray cats and maybe some U2. For my cleans and grit I am loving the Shiva model. For my crunch I am using the JVM od2/orange, and for the higher gain I use the Friedman HBE. I use Ownhammer IRs. I think they sound great.

Last edited:
I use a home made Telecaster, with a second one as spare. The spare is like a magic wand: as long as it's there you never need it.
TRUTH! :D

I haven't had to switch guitars in a night in maybe 15 years. I don't normally break strings or anything.

Great thread, I'm in a cover band but still working out the best way to arrange things. I think I'm sticking with 1 patch and scenes for the various sounds like others are doing.

I got my FX8 and basically did the same for starters - I replicated my pedalboard so 1 preset and scenes/relays (for amp channel switching) is all I need to get thru a 3hr set.
But now I have used it a bit I feel I may do a few specific presets for certain songs that need a specific effect or could use a bit more out there effects - I also got an expression pedal so need to work out some cool stuff to do with that!

TRUTH! :D

I haven't had to switch guitars in a night in maybe 15 years. I don't normally break strings or anything.
It must be 10 years since I had to swap to the spare because of a string break. Sometimes I start the first set on the spare, just to keep myself tuned in to it, or on another guitar that I want to try out, but always revert to my main instrument after a few songs.

I use 1 guitar all night. My Carvin CT6M.
I have a Roland GP-10 that I use for Strat, Acoustic, Rick 12 and mandolin models and tunings. I have it down to 8 presets.
2 of the presets bypass the 13-pin Roland cable and I use the Line 6 G10 wireless with the Carvin humbuckers for some sweet Marshall tones on the AX8

I only use one bank of 8 in the AX8 to correspond with each of the 8 presets in the GP-10.

That combination really covers a lot of ground.

I also mainly use my Suhr Tele all night but the Guthrie Charvel is a bit hotter so I have a 2nd preset for that with a bit of EQ which I can switch on or off depending on how hot I want the guitar to be for the track!

I wish I could get away with one guitar but we play in 3 different tunings. Flat, standard and drop d. My flat and standard have Floyd's so it is what it is. 3 for me..... LOL.....

Morpheus droptune here, sadly it works way better than the axefx pitch block (I nearly succeeded in eliminating all pedals from my setup)

Back
Top Bottom