Lets talk about the "Depth" control

I think we should write down Cliff sentence with GOLD on the first page of this forum :

use your ears. I think too many people are scared to use their ears. But if you constantly rely on the ears of others you'll never learn how to create your own signature sound

Yes!! This should be repeated over & over again.

I look at the Depth knob as a starting point. Just because the 5153 has a fixed depth circuit doesn't mean you can't adjust the knob. The only reason that it is fixed on that amp is there wasn't enough room to put in separate knobs for each channel. The 50W version has an adjustable Depth (it's called resonance and the knob is on the back). The original 5150 had adjustable Depth. The designers choice isn't necessarily best. It depends on the cabinet (or IR) and your personal preferences.

Short answer: use your ears. I think too many people are scared to use their ears. But if you constantly rely on the ears of others you'll never learn how to create your own signature sound.

Cliff, well said, and as I started out this thread, I stated I knew the ultimate answer would be that I should just use my ears and not worry about the logistics of the situation, which I have been doing. I just have been wondering about it and wanted to stir up some conversation concerning the Depth control.

I think what I get most from this conversation is that the Axe isn't hindered by traditional amp design. We have so much more control in the Axe than the average amp, we shouldn't handcuff ourselves and not use functions in the Axe amp just because the original amp doesn't employ them.

Thanks to all for the insightful conversation!

Back
Top Bottom