Let's take a simple poll : Does G3 (V18) has that extra AMP mojo over G2 (V17)

Let's take a simple poll : Does G3 (V18) has that extra AMP mojo over G2 (V17)

• Yes, Yes, Yes !!!

Votes: 139 57.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 68 28.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Can't tell

Votes: 25 10.3%

• Total voters
magic-drunken-clam-challenge-golden-turd.png

Is that the sorting hat? 10 points for Gryffindor!!

I think 18 is better .to me its not night and day difference but I do hear and feel small improvments in the way the amps react

Well Luke, you are right in that Cliff has built up a fan base. I think there is good reason for that though. I have seen that every firmware release that has come out since I've been around here elicits a "we have just found the holy grail" type of hysteria. I mean, I remember when 15 hit and everyone lost their minds that it could not get more real, and then 16 came out. When 17 was published, it was "impossible to imagine better tone that this"... and then...

From 14.x to 16.x, I found some difference, but it was never highly really significant for me. It was more the added features and little improvements that I really liked. Each FW did get better, but in small increments. Since the beginning I have thought the tones were great, particularly for recording. BUT... my LIVE sound took a really nice leap forward for me with this FW. It IS now more real-amp like to me. Not that it wasn't amp like before, but it was still somewhat digital. I could tell. Maybe not in headphones, or even alone with my CLRs, but in a live mix with my band I could tell it wasn't the same as my amps. Maybe though, I just wasn't really good at dialing in my tone. Maybe I listen closer than I used to. I don't know.

Either way, I sound better now. I still have some room to improve (and always will I think) and I don't think I have THE tone I dream of yet, but I am getting much closer. 18 made it easier and faster right out of the gate. The growl, the pick response, volume knob response... all much better. G3 is a different beast to me than the typical FW update. This one really was a big step forward IMHO. I can now get my CLR's to sound like my MarkV combo side by side in a band mix, (although I don't really use that model... I'm a converted Plexi guy now). Love 18, and my confidence in this black box has grown.

I think when I first got my AXE (might have been around 12 or 13, not sure) I was super excited, and "drank the punch" Then... over time at band rehearsals I had days where I missed my amp. I got a few comments about my spaceship guitar rig from band mates, and I didn't always get that raw sound that I was craving for pop or a more classic guitar tone. For 80's or metal, it was always great, but it lacked that real vintage Marshall growl, or sparkly/chimey thing I was craving. I actually was starting to consider going back to an amp for a while (not that long ago, although I kept that shit to myself around here!;).) The FX, and the power of routing, switching, clarity, and an all in 1 solution were the draw more than the actual tone. (not that it wasn't really good... it was just a little bit "not all the way there" for me still)

Now... I am happy. I feel like I can and will achieve THE tone, plus all the aforementioned stuff too. I still need time and dialing, but I think I keep my perspective pretty real. I can be a fan of Fractal and of Cliff and still keep my critical ear, an open mind and be honest about things. 18 is pretty legit

FW18 is definitely an improvement. I love how I sound with it. I can feel the difference,.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a home hobbyist, but play at least a little almost every day.

My KIDS noticed a difference with some of the G3 altered amps. They've been listening to the Axe FX II for over a year and half, almost everyday. This is the first FW update that THEY noticed a significant change in how the SAME amps sounded. Factory presets, only. I basically junked most of my user ones and will build new ones from scratch at this point.

"Wow, Dad. What did you do to THAT one??? It sounds AMAZING!!!" Same preset, same XiTone FRFR with the same power amp, same guitar, same strings, same guitarist (me).

Btw, I'm always updating the FW within a day or two of it's release, so they've heard all the others as well.

I think a lot of folks expect firmware updates to sound awesome right off the bat but sometimes a bit of tweaking needs to be done. The newest firmware is not as bright, in my opinion, as the last firmware update but that can definitely be adjusted.

Let's take a dump poll!

This poll is meaningless. If Cliff crapped on the floor 70% of you would declare it the best turd of all time and insist on a national holiday to celebrate it.

I'm still in beta so I cant comment on 18.1

Would make sense the day after St. Patty's Day, eating all that corn beef and cabbage... Time to drop the kids off at the pool lad!

This poll is meaningless. If Cliff crapped on the floor 70% of you would declare it the best turd of all time and insist on a national holiday to celebrate it.

Your reply is so more useful than this thread.. Such elegance. geez...

Anyway, I don't have that great ears. I don't really know if it sounds better. I noticed a big change around FW10 I believe. I do notice that things feel progressively better with each FW.
I don't compare firmwares. Just upgrade, tweak a bit and I'm good to go.

No.....no mojo, but for sure an improvement in structure and definition. It's not magic, it's called math ;). I said "no" because what would you all saying when G4 comes out within the next few years. Development wouldn't stop. There will be a Firmware 19 soon.....trust me ;)

btw. Fw18 is great!!

It's a yes x3 from me. The improvement is significant for live direct to FOH use IMHO. With FW18.01 the tone just sounds a lot more complex and tube-like than before, the overall EQ is closer to the real thing, and the response / feel is improving all the time too. I've started failing my own blindfold tests on the clean boogie now so that's a good thing (for me at least)! Your Ears May Vary :) Playing with fingers (no pick) through a bunch of EV ZX5s at gig volume, with a Keeley A/B I can NO LONGER tell the difference between my Mic'd Mesa Rack & a tone matched USA Clean1! ...Oh Jeez those Marshall's are sounding pretty spectacular through a PA now too in fairness... Exciting times ahead for sure guys...

Last edited:

WOW! take it easy big fella!

I thought I was the only who thinks that, outstanding product, would love to hear what some of these people would say if a round wheel was invented!

Back
Top Bottom