Let's share "in the room" reverb settings

fremen

Axe-Master
Vendor
Just curious, what is anyone reverb settings to achieve that famous "amp in a room" very short reverb sound ? I noticed various attemps at this kind of settings in many presets I downloaded, and there's also the settings in the Wiki. Had someone improved on this ? Of course, it's a matter of taste, for instance, I had to slightly increase the length and mix of TimmyM's settings in his raw amp bank to make it work for me :
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9348

Please share your settings guys, and don't forget us poor Standard users who don't have all the Ultra reverb parameters ;)

Hi Fremen,

I've had a bit of an epiphany to getting my "amp in the room" tone.

First let me say that this has happened as a result of purchasing and testing out a pair of Atomic FR units.

I followed the advice of the seller, Independent Music, and turned off all reverb and mic modelling, and BAM! There it was. The sound I had been looking for in terms of live tone. It was definitely more 'in the room' now as I wasn't trying to play it through a short small roomy verb, in a small carpeted room. It was more defined but still had that 'air' about it. I knew this was going to cut really well.

Now I just need to test it at practice.

In terms of studio tones, I do use a little short verb. Check out my raw amp bank, with the verb created by Dutch. Its a nice sound.

TimmyM

Thanks for your reply… I did mention the reverb settings in your bank in my OP, and that I had to tweak it a little bit. Now, I only own a 2x20 w hifi amp, with 100 watts hifi speakers (brand "Monitor Audio" but they are much too bright to be considered true studio monitors). That's what I use to play and tweak my presets at home. I would love to have a pair of Atomic FR but I can't afford them – or even the difference to get an Ultra, btw ;)
On these speakers, I can't switch off the reverb, I don't like this dryness, they simply don't project the sound in my room enough. Anyway my hifi system is like a mini PA to me, if it sounds good on it, it will sound good on FOH. But I'm considering perfecting an "amp in a room" sound, instead of the long reverbs I use now. I know that some respected musicians, like Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) don't use any reverb on guitar, only delays, for ambiance. I've always liked ambiant playing à la David Gilmour so I have to change my habits here !

This is a good topic. Those quick early reflections can make or break a tone.

A lot of beginners make the mistake of leaving off the early reflection (before processors had it built in to the regular reverb algorithms) and just using long reverb. It sounds one dimensional and lifeless.

If you've ever recorded drums you'll REALLY realize how important that "space" is around your instrument. Guitars need the same thing, and short room ambience is difficult for a processor to replicate well. Fortunately the AXE does a great job.

I have three "tricks".

-I use a dedicated reverb module for all "room" reverb that's shorter than about 1/2 second and a second module for the long reverb

-I EQ it to brighten (usually) up the room.

-I use some modulation to give some "motion" and more 3D effect to the room.

I'm usually satisfied with what I end up with. Short discrete delays work well too. In my opinion you need SOMETHING to make it sound like it's in a space or your recording is hopelessly doomed.

AndrewSimon said:
This "amp in the room" quest will be solved by the end of next week.

:D

Did I miss something?

This is a great thread some useful information already.

I personally didn't get on with the existing settings for Early Reflections and also use a short reverb near the end of my signal chain. It gives it more room in the mix both for live and recording applications.

Hello all,

TimmyM said:
I followed the advice of the seller, Independent Music, and turned off all reverb and mic modelling, and BAM! There it was.

If you play through a real amp and cabs (the Atomic) you don't need additional early reflections, because you already get them from the room you're playing in. As far as I have understood these several "in the room"-discussions on this board the additional reverb is only necessary for recording or playing through headphones. So yes, your seller was right ;-)

All the best,
Michael

Yeah, usually the best room reverb is from the one you are playing in.

Especially if playing in a hall or auditorium, consider cutting out the verb entirely or reduce it significantly on most rhythm patches. Otherwise things can get washed out or busy sounding.. unless that is the effect you are going after.

Back
Top Bottom