Let's Put a Close Mic'd AC-30 In Your Lap

yek said:
Scott, I like the touch that the "Drive-behind-the-amp" adds. But dedicating one of the two precious Drive blocks to that purpose is a (too) high price to pay. :)
Maybe there are ways to get a similar result using a PEQ, multibandcompressor or something?

I read that the effect the reverb provides is supposed to be subtle. Well, I have to admit that I don't hear it at all. That's at home using your preset and nearfields. Probably because of the reflections in the (large) room I'm playing in.

On the reverb - turn up the level then. Crank it up till you hear it and then put it where you prefer. There's no 'rule' in play here.

Tape Drive sounds like nothing else in the Axe-FX IMHO. Costs me a drive block... yea. But that's the price of admission. :D

Just try the other stuff instead of the Tape drive and see what you prefer. Maybe a MBC would be better, perhaps. It'd be different though, it's not a tape drive. Also you need to vary up the amount of drive/output to get a nice balance between your dynamics and that 'fat' lower mid thing I like. If you try it too, just bypass that block and the amp will be more dynamic, but you lose that punch and sweet light compression.

It's just fun! :D

Scott Peterson said:
Tape Drive sounds like nothing else in the Axe-FX IMHO. Costs me a drive block... yea. But that's the price of admission. :D

Just try the other stuff instead of the Tape drive and see what you prefer.
I've used the FET Boost in the past for an effect similar to what you're doing with the Tape Drive, Scott, although I'm keen to try out your tube setting with this :) I found the FET Drive a little smoother and more subtle; slightly better on very clean tones.

Scott Peterson said:
Then to the cab. Nothing new or special here: though I tried a LOT of things (like two cabs in parallel, etc) but what I was using all along (well, for the past year or so) still just worked for my ear and taste - so here it is. The IR's are both Red Wire; you can use stock cabs if you prefer. I use a SM57 on Vox Silvers and the Bogner Uberkab V30/T75 (gasp!) both at 2" off cap edge and both off-axis. I've been using some form of V30 with most of these sorts of Vox/Matchless/Dr.Z tones since owning my DC-30 and Clubmans (both featured V30/Greenback mixes) in the analog world.
122010Voxcab.jpg

Scott,

Since you are running IR's what are your thoughts on running the Stereo cab as opposed to running to mono hires cabs? How much fidelity do you lose, if any, by running the stereo cab?

I have had some time to try out your findings and then tape pre drive block is is pretty cool. The reverb block is even better. Its so subtle but it adds that little extra dimension to the sound. The Axe continues to impress every time I work with it.

Jack Napalm said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":ph7doa2i]

Then to the cab. Nothing new or special here: though I tried a LOT of things (like two cabs in parallel, etc) but what I was using all along (well, for the past year or so) still just worked for my ear and taste - so here it is. The IR's are both Red Wire; you can use stock cabs if you prefer. I use a SM57 on Vox Silvers and the Bogner Uberkab V30/T75 (gasp!) both at 2" off cap edge and both off-axis. I've been using some form of V30 with most of these sorts of Vox/Matchless/Dr.Z tones since owning my DC-30 and Clubmans (both featured V30/Greenback mixes) in the analog world.
122010Voxcab.jpg

Scott,

Since you are running IR's what are your thoughts on running the Stereo cab as opposed to running to mono hires cabs? How much fidelity do you lose, if any, by running the stereo cab?

I have had some time to try out your findings and then tape pre drive block is is pretty cool. The reverb block is even better. Its so subtle but it adds that little extra dimension to the sound. The Axe continues to impress every time I work with it.[/quote:ph7doa2i]

I tried all sorts of ideas and concepts out (and you should too) but ended up with the slight spread in a stereo cab. It just works for me. It's too much CPU to run two Mono in hi-res and mixing the two IR's I use for each cab results in a nice mono cab, that I do not like as much as the 'wider' spread the slight panning adds. Running in mono, that's different. Summing to mono? That's different. As it is here? My prefernce overall.

Again, this is simply MY preference. That does not mean it is the right one, the only one or the proper one to agree with. Lots of folks don't agree with me at all; and that's cool too.

Scott Peterson said:
I tried all sorts of ideas and concepts out (and you should too) but ended up with the slight spread in a stereo cab. It just works for me. It's too much CPU to run two Mono in hi-res and mixing the two IR's I use for each cab results in a nice mono cab, that I do not like as much as the 'wider' spread the slight panning adds. Running in mono, that's different. Summing to mono? That's different. As it is here? My prefernce overall.

Again, this is simply MY preference. That does not mean it is the right one, the only one or the proper one to agree with. Lots of folks don't agree with me at all; and that's cool too.

That's cool. I was just curious. I am getting professional IR's created of my favorite cab by someone who really knows his stuff. :D With what I am getting back it seems like I'll have some cool options to work with and running multiple cabs might be the way to go. I'll know more once I get the IR's and can use them and pick his brain some. Right now I am just using a single hires mono cab for most everything. Either a stock cab or the free Marshall Redwirez. I'll be experimenting more in the coming weeks. Thanks.

Been messing with some of the ideas in your post Scott and the results I am getting are great. I've not really tried the off-axis RW cabs before but they seem to work really well and let the guitar cut through but not be overly in your face which I tend to find with most of the in-built cab sims. The Tape Drive idea works well and really adds some warmth to the tone whilst at the same time smoothing things out. The verb works great to give you a sense of space/room.

Thanks for sharing not just your patch but the methods behind how you got there it really is a great insight for a relative newb like me :cool:

Can't wait to play some more tomorrow :)

Spence

Cool as usual..... but the moment I started playing something sounded funny.
I couldn't tell exactly what but I felt like there is a ghost behind me :eek:

Playing 1 note at a time revealed what I was hearing.
Here is a short sample.
I boosted the "ringing part" in my Wave Editor so it is obvious.

http://www.andras-shimon.com/TEMP/DiffusionRinging.mp3

It's the "Diffusion Time" in the Reverb block.
You have it at 100%
If you go down to 98% the ghost goes away. :D

;)

AndrewSimon said:
Cool as usual..... but the moment I started playing something sounded funny.
I couldn't tell exactly what but I felt like there is a ghost behind me :eek:

Playing 1 note at a time revealed what I was hearing.
Here is a short sample.
I boosted the "ringing part" in my Wave Editor so it is obvious.

http://www.andras-shimon.com/TEMP/DiffusionRinging.mp3

It's the "Diffusion Time" in the Reverb block.
You have it at 100%
If you go down to 98% the ghost goes away. :D

;)

Ahh, but the 'ring' is also mixed so far back... that's it easily mistaken for tube rattle. (No BS either).

Just set it as you prefer. I do agree though, it's there and you did indeed 'nail' the *what* is causing it. On higher gain stuff, I've turned the diffusion down to 50%.

Scott,

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge (as usual). I'm curious as to how you have your AMP blocks set up to replicate your DC30? How diff is it from the AC30TB? I want a DC30 so bad right now, its killing me. I dont have the money (or the back... :)). I know I can get close in the AXE, but not owning one has me blending AC30TB and Boutique-1 AMP blocks in my "best guess effort". Other folks have mentioned getting close after lots of tweaking, but I haven't seen any presets/patches from them either.

Looking for matchless love... :cry:

Remnant said:
Scott,

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge (as usual). I'm curious as to how you have your AMP blocks set up to replicate your DC30? How diff is it from the AC30TB? I want a DC30 so bad right now, its killing me. I dont have the money (or the back... :)). I know I can get close in the AXE, but not owning one has me blending AC30TB and Boutique-1 AMP blocks in my "best guess effort". Other folks have mentioned getting close after lots of tweaking, but I haven't seen any presets/patches from them either.

Looking for matchless love... :cry:
I've got your back man.

My DC-30 preset is somewhat a mix of my DC-30 and Clubmans - I really loved my Clubmans (I had two of them). So it's a little 'tougher' sounding than the DC-30. The Matchless model block in the Axe-FX is based on the Chieften, which was never one of my Matchless favorites.

I'll do a post on it very soon.

I'd like that very much.

I love the sound of a Matchless, but never been able to credibly duplicate it in the Axe.

Edit: I like the clean/chime overdriven thing it does. Somehow the Axe model is not working for me. I suspect guitar issues on that one tho...P90's or Single Coils best...

electronpirate said:
I'd like that very much.

I love the sound of a Matchless, but never been able to credibly duplicate it in the Axe.

Edit: I like the clean/chime overdriven thing it does. Somehow the Axe model is not working for me. I suspect guitar issues on that one tho...P90's or Single Coils best...

I set up my Matchless presets for single coils. You need a pretty low output humbucker to work with the sort of "Crushed glass wrapped in honey floating in clouds" sort of Matchless tone I shoot for. :D

Check the rhythm guitars on "Wing It" from my solo CD "Rainshine" (it is on ITunes, Rhapsody, Napster & CDBaby) for that tone with my Clubman on the left and DC-30 on the right. I was using a PRS HBII back then (with the volume rolled off) for the rhythm sounds. That's how I check my Matchless tones, and why I almost always play that little riff on Vox/Matchless/Dr. Z type tone clips I post.

Would this technique be useful in an IEM situation? When you are used to an amp behind you, IEM's sound like the speaker is taped to your ear. Then you want to add too much reverb which isn't good live......especially in big rooms. I have been juggling FOH quality vs. IEM quality lately. I'm using an ambient mic on stage but with no amp or FRFR on stage, that doesn't really affect the guitar signal.

Back
Top Bottom