AFIII Let's post: AITR clips

Dr. Faustus

Inspired
Another Fractal sunrise for me. It's keeping me up all night even when I have to work the next afternoon.

I hadn't anticipated that symptom of Axe-FX ownership, nor this one: I need every one of my guitars near at hand because with this box of magic you never know what you might want to play! To that end I have seven guitars within easy reach of my music desk.

I installed the latest FW beta (17.00 beta 4) to play with the FullRes IR from @Valhallir and it's too compelling to put down. I've been playing with a Fender dual-amp preset with a 5F8 and a Super Reverb. Each amp has two close-mic IRs and one FR IR, panned L/R. It's gorgeous already and every guitar I play through it sounds fantastic. For no reason in particular I grabbed a FireFly LP. It's got Fralin Pure PAFs, 5% overwound. The guitar also has Big Leg Circuits' Jimmy Page LP wiring/switching kit. I was thinking of some fun AITR sounds I have heard produced and Tom Petty just came out of my hands. After some LP noodling I grabbed the 2017 Strat Elite which is still bone stock with the V4 noiseless pickups. I cranked the drive on the amps and tossed out a little SRV riff.

This is still just demo stuff at this point but since I play through headphones a lot (my girlfriend works from home on graveyard shift answering calls and typing reports) this development is way too exciting for me. It makes me want to just zone out.I need so much more of this. All the rooms!

Here's a clip of how this sounds. Again, it's rushed like my Tele clip so it's a little rough production-wise. But this is straight Fractal, rendered to .wav and normalized to -10db in Sound Forge.

Share yours!

Last edited:
I've slept a whole six hours and I'm back for more guitar playing and preset tweaking! I hope you got some sleep, too.
Yessir, I can easily make that addition today. More than happy to.

Also, I would like to clarify the intent of this thread is inclusive to all methods of achieving that AITR sound. Have a favorite recording that shows it off? Share it here! Please also explain how you achieved the sound without room mics. I want to learn all the good tricks!

Of course! It's the same preset as the beginning of the clip, I merely cranked up the drive to five on the Super Reverb and seven on the old Tweed Twin. Everything else is the same, except the guitars of course.

Also I should share the cab blocks, so here they are. Also, since I was playing solo I didn't worry about how boomy the amps are right now, but I would probably start here if I wanted to dial out some low end with the low cut somewhere between 40-80Hz.

Attachments

• Cab block 1 Cab page.jpg
    Cab block 1 Cab page.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Cab block 1 Cab More...  page.jpg
    Cab block 1 Cab More... page.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Cab block 2 Cab page.jpg
    Cab block 2 Cab page.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Cab block 2 Cab More... page.jpg
    Cab block 2 Cab More... page.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 55
Here is a new clip with the IRs on and off inline during the Tom Petty section. I didn't have a DI to re-amp so I had to re-perform it and kludge it in there.

That sounds ridiculously good in headphones. Ugh.. now I gotta decide on whether to spring for the FM9 or the AxeFX III MK II. I definitely prefer the form factor of the FM9, but this feature is a big enough deal that I am going to have to rethink my prior plan to get it.

Can someone tells me how different these sound to using the Room in the Cab block? I know they're different things - but are they similar in sound in practice?

I've spent enough time with it now to have the beginning of an opinion about its overall utility so here goes. It's very early times as they say so this is very young and may not age well:

Having demoed this clip through my home theater in 2 and 7 channel stereo, with just the air conditioning running or any background noise it's difficult to detect the FR IR on/off switch.

Through my new Kali LP-6s it sounds good but actual room reflections mask the effect to an extent.

In headphones it sounds so good I'm transported by it. This is a game-changer for me, but based on the above initial observation it's pretty much a headphones tool that also would sound great on solo guitar passages like the intros we've been examining. In a mix with the rest of the instrumentation I don't know, because I actually haven't tried that yet; but I suspect it would be lost except in soloed sections where it could really shine.

I've spent enough time with it now to have the beginning of an opinion about its overall utility so here goes. It's very early times as they say so this is very young and may not age well:

Having demoed this clip through my home theater in 2 and 7 channel stereo, with just the air conditioning running or any background noise it's difficult to detect the FR IR on/off switch.

Through my new Kali LP-6s it sounds good but actual room reflections mask the effect to an extent.

In headphones it sounds so good I'm transported by it. This is a game-changer for me, but based on the above initial observation it's pretty much a headphones tool that also would sound great on solo guitar passages like the intros we've been examining. In a mix with the rest of the instrumentation I don't know, because I actually haven't tried that yet; but I suspect it would be lost except in soloed sections where it could really shine.
Thanks - that's really interesting, I had a III Mk 1 and switched to a FM3 - this is the first time I'm looking at maybe going back to a II. But that said, I've rediscovered the Room parameter in the Cab block and that's pretty stellar too

[…]

I think they sound nice, but I don't think I'd use them live.

Most clubs have enough natural reverb that adding more clutters the sound. I can imagine a FOH engineer asking what is that effect on the guitar sound, and can something be done about it?

In headphones, or solo passages for recording they'd be more interesting to me but I'm already happy and used to the sound of the regular IRs. And, the regular IRs fit into the FM3 and FM9 and not just the FX3, and since I don't intend to drag the FX3 around….

They're cool, they add a nice ambience, but sometimes less is more, at least in my world. Obviously time will tell how well they work live.

These are really good clips and I like the way the IRs sound.....but it isnt enough for me to replace my mk1 with a mk2. I know there may eventually be a feature that will...still planning out on keeping the mk1 until the eventual 4 comes out or maybe a 3XL.

Still kick myself i bought a 3 second hand and 2 months later the mk2 came out haha. Would happily bought that instead if the timing didnt wind up like that.

Haven't tried FullRes yet, but from long experience live on stage and doing FOH, the battle there is clarity, always. Anything you can do to deliver more immediacy and detail is gold.

Doesn't seem like FullRes IRs contribute there. For headphones and IEMs they may be wonderful though.

Here's a try using some Marshall 4x12 Greenback IRs I just captured. The first section uses the FullRes room mics blended in, and the second pass starts with just a 57 and then adds the rooms back in halfway. Try listening with headphones.

Here's a try using some Marshall 4x12 Greenback IRs I just captured. The first section uses the FullRes room mics blended in, and the second pass starts with just a 57 and then adds the rooms back in halfway. Try listening with headphones.

Thanks - what I take from this is it's more subtle than adding room in the cab block, is that fair?

Thanks - what I take from this is it's more subtle than adding room in the cab block, is that fair?
I mixed the rooms pretty low (at -15dB) so that it gives you a little more natural width without it sounding too roomy in the headphones. It's easy to dial in too much room because it's a fun effect, but keeping it lower gives it a more "felt than heard" playing experience.

For the record I wanted the room sound to be unmistakable in this clip and it is for use in headphones, so I mixed them much louder than I might when I get more time and more examples to work with.

Really glad to see @York Audio getting involved in the fun! Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom