Let's get nerdy and discuss ... Setup parameters

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I know for a fact that many players avoid the Setup menus. And why go there if there's nothing to be fixed.

Still, they can make or break your III's capabilities.

The Owner's Manual does an excellent job describing each Setup parameter. The ones in I/O are also explained in the wiki.

What I do - and recommend to everyone - is writing down the settings which have been changed from default in order to have the III perform as preferred.

This makes it easy to execute a system reset (Utility menu > Reset System Params) and then quickly adjust those (few) settings, without requiring a System backup/restore with Fractal-Bot.

Here are my “non default” settings, as an example for discussion.

GLOBAL > GENERAL
Prompt on Edited Preset Change: ON
Default Scene: Scene 1
AC Line Frequency: 50

I/O > INPUT
Input 1: 20%

MIDI/REMOTE > GENERAL
Scene Revert: ON
Send Realtime Sysex: ON
Ignore Redundant PC: ON. Note: this is the only parameter where the default value should be changed (to “ON”), IMHO, like it is on the II.

MIDI/REMOTE > EXTERNAL
External 1: 11
External 2: 12
External 3: 13
External 4: 14

I don’t need to enter anything else in the MIDI/Remote menus, because my MIDI controller handles everything automatically (through MIDI Sysex). This same will apply to the FC controllers.

Last edited:
Explanation and tips regarding my settings.

I have ‘Spillover’ set to 'off' because it applies to presets only. I use primarily scenes (and effect buttons) to switch sounds within songs, and these handle spillover perfectly.

‘AC Line Freq’ is 50, because I’m in Europe.

‘Input 1 Level’ is 20%, because it fits my loudest guitar. Remember, this is not a gain control, it optimizes SNR. Don't set it below 5%.

I don’t change ‘USB Buffer Size’ from default, because I don’t record a lot, and Macs require higher values than Windows computers.

I stick to Stereo Output Modes, even for my mono signal. I just use one side of the stereo signal for mono output.

-10 dB output level allows more than enough output and is more compatible with all mixers (and soundmen) out there than +4 dB.

If you connect an expression pedal directly to your III, don’t forget to calibrate it in I/O > Pedal. (Would love to have a meter in that menu.)

My RJM MIDI controller requires 3 specific settings in MIDI/Remote:
- MIDI channel
- Send Realtime Sysex: ON
- Program Change: ON (default). This controls incoming Program Changes.

‘Send MIDI PC’ transmits a (outgoing) MIDI PC when you select a preset on the front panel. I have it “off”, but it can be useful, for example to switch external gear. Note: works with MIDI Out only, not outgoing MIDI-over-USB.

‘Ignore Redundant PC’ makes sure that there’s no gap in the audio when sending a preset change from my controller that’s already been loaded on the III.

Last edited:
Should the AC line frequency be set to the actual frequency (50Hz in Europe) or is that for the modelling only (some say amps sound different on 50/60Hz)?

Should the AC line frequency be set to the actual frequency (50Hz in Europe) or is that for the modelling only (some say amps sound different on 50/60Hz)?
It's used as part of the added noise filtering... This is the global setting, not the setting in the Amp block (don't remember if the III still that one).

Thanks for sharing this, I picked up a few handy tips! First thing I did with mine was adjust the input level, and funnily enough ended up at 20% too. Prompt on edited preset change is a really nice addition.

>> Ignore Redundant PC: ON. Note: this is the only parameter where the default value should be changed (to “ON”), IMHO.

Agreed. IIRC I had to set the external controller MIDI values. That should be default too.

>> Ignore Redundant PC: ON. Note: this is the only parameter where the default value should be changed (to “ON”), IMHO.

Agreed. IIRC I had to set the external controller MIDI values. That should be default too.
You have to set ALL midi control numbers because there are too many possible items that can be controlled to assign them all.

Thanks for sharing this, I picked up a few handy tips! First thing I did with mine was adjust the input level, and funnily enough ended up at 20% too. Prompt on edited preset change is a really nice addition.

Just remember to switch this OFF if you are using it in a gig! Any pedals turned on or off will count as an edit, and you won't be able to switch presets.

Just remember to switch this OFF if you are using it in a gig! Any pedals turned on or off will count as an edit, and you won't be able to switch presets.

Are you sure, Cooper? Thought that this setting is ignored when switching remotely.

FWIW, it would be a good thing to shield the Setup menus, or at least some important parameters, against accidental adjustments, through an additional confirmation layer.

‘AC Line Freq’ is 60, because I’m in U.S.A..

‘Input 1 Level’ is 75%, which is right before any red light, (80 tickles the red). It is probably this high setting because I am not plugging guitar directly into the AXE. I run 13 pin cabling to a processor. the processor has a raw guitar line out. So my input is line in.
As for the red tickling, I just don't want to see red, even though it's not a bad thing, in this case.

I didn’t change ‘USB Buffer Size’ from default, for same reason

I use Sum for my mono signal. because I was under the understanding that some effects will separate in stereo, and you will lose one side, depending on what channel I choose.

I use +4 db, which is easy to change if needed. When I ask, most sound men prefer it here. I tried both on my X32, and it really didn't make an enormous difference. So I make it a point to ask every engineer what they prefer and change on the fly.

FWIW, it would be a good thing to shield the Setup menus, or at least some important parameters, against accidental adjustments, through an additional confirmation layer.

A lock/unlock or password protected would be a good add.

Back
Top Bottom