Let's all wish Cliff good vibes and a quick recovery!

When I picked-up my Axe 2 at cliff's office about 2 weeks ago, he seemed pretty tired!! He seriously needs some rest, he invest so much time and effort in his business, he really cares but there are time you simply needs to put everything aside and think for yourself and the one you care for. Take care Cliff!!

I can only imagine how hard it is to handle all the things Cliff does - Inventing, coding, customer support, logistics, forum admin, etc...

I think part of the problem (and also the reason of greatness of the company) is the customers' access to Cliff, which is almost in person. If Fractal is say, Roland, the customers probably would not be feeling so entitled to things such as info, ETAs etc. Since Cliff answers the questions here in person, we seem to have this heightened feeling of importance and entitlement. If Fractal is just another faceless company, I doubt the noise wouldn't have been as loud as it was.

My 2 cents.

+1000 on the get well thread. None of this is worth your health. I read the long RigTalk thread and was stunned by the vitriol. You've created the best family of digital guitar processors ever made. Unfortunately, it's that success that makes you a target for people who want to tear you down. I think on balance you run one of the best, most responsive companies I've ever dealt with. The anonymity of the internet allows people to say things that would be better left to themselves. It's an id run wild fest out there sometimes. I want I want I think I think You suck cause I don't have what I want now for free.

I just received my AxeFX II yesterday and it has a CC serial number on it. That made me very happy as I you're one of my heros of the guitar and music technology world and one of the most principled and ongoingly responsive business owners I know. I don't agree with every decision FA has made, but you've continually tried to learn from your mistakes and from the feedback given, even when it's come from people with no interactional dignity whatsoever. It takes a deep set of core values to do that and I have great respect for you.

Thanks for all your tremendous efforts and do whatever you need to in order to take care of yourself.

Mike

Once I posted a message "Cliff never sleeps", kidding, but knowing deep inside that unfortunately was true. It is *too much* for one man alone to carry the load.

clockwork-orange.jpg

I've always wondered how Cliff was doing, developing a revolutionary product, lines and lines of code, A/B'ing amps/Axe, servicing his products, building more units, dealing with business, reading the forum, helping users, addressing any tech or bullcrap issues. Like the Big Brother, who is aware/in control of everything. Cliff *is* a genius, in the literal sense of the word, but not a computer, void of emotions, pain, needs. People need to understand that, and give him a break.
The "indignant whiners" speech met overreaction from most forumites. I didn't find that offensive at the least. Some whiners *were* pissing him off, so what's the deal? He's no Jesus Christ, he's a man. Why should he take slaps to his face and dignity and smile? Just because he may lose a couple customers?? To hell with them! It's not worth it.
If folks would rather have some smily, phony web spokesman who'll just tell you lies and not offend anyone, go to Line 6, Avid or any other "competitor" forum. And I quoted that, because the Axe'fx is hors-concours. Please realize it is a privilege to be in this forum, in direct contact with such a great mind as Cliff. He has no time to develop "social skills", just to please everyone. His forte is engineering, not social sciences.

The stress of this job has become so overwhelming that I have TMJ and an ulcer.

People on these forums don't realize that when everything is directed at one person the stress can be overwhelming. It's easy to criticize, it's difficult to be the brunt of constant criticism.

Sorry this has happened to you, Cliff. Here's to you feeling better soon! Cheers!

The stress of this job has become so overwhelming that I have TMJ and an ulcer.

People on these forums don't realize that when everything is directed at one person the stress can be overwhelming. It's easy to criticize, it's difficult to be the brunt of constant criticism.

If I remember right, Cliff said in an interview that for axe 1 he developed tendonitis. Now he's written a boatload of updates, made marketing decisions, made NEW algorithms, created VVT technology, made more marketing decisions, and people wonder if It's a joke?
Very sadistic if you ask me, especially at this lovely point in the forum. Cliff for health's sake, go play with the cats man.

I'm afraid for my part, I did a little more than stir that pot over there. I'm my capacity here, I rarely get to 'cut loose' and say what I really think about issues outside of gear, and I'm sorry to say I'm probably just as responsible for making that thread uglier.

Just some of the things people post over there make me crazy. There we some flat out lies that I had to call out. Anything that posts wishing one ill...I won't let that pass.

Ron

Best wishes Cliff.

Something occurred to me while watching all that has happened lately, and while reading this thread. In the early days, when the forum was small, you would share ideas with us and talk a lot about what you were working on. I still remember reading about the Quad Chorus, for example, and about some of the hurdles you'd overcome. It's encouraging and therapeutic to share the journey with someone, and you had a group of guitar nerds who could appreciate what you were doing and then enjoy the fruit of your efforts.

Over time you've had to become more guarded (understandably), and that outlet has largely disappeared. While others saw the AxeFX II countdown as a marketing tool, I saw it as you again involving us in something pretty cool that you'd pulled together. It was a way to share your excitement and celebrate the hurdles that had been overcome to take us to another level. It was pretty cool for me to read about the new technology, understand some of what was under the hood, and take in what you had to say in the Axe-Fx II Technical Questions thread.

It saddened me to then see things turn nasty, and for that joy to turn into pain. It's gotta hurt. I truly hope that you have a group of friends, ideally guitar nerds, that you can still connect with about what you're working on. It's one way to help bring some sanity and balance into your life.

Take care.

Terry.

Hey Cliff,
I am a physician if you need any free info or advice don't hesitate to PM me!!!

Also I love my axe fractal II!!!!!!!!!!

Most of have so much stress at baseline levels we are not even aware
its there since its under the surface. Also most people don't realize stress is a
physical response.

Best wishes for you cliff,

as a man who has a (fortunately very well situated) little company running together with my beloved wife for more than seven years now, my experience is: if you have 10 fans - you get 100 enemies automatically. The most important thing is, that you ignore the 100 fu**ers, cause you won't make it right for everyone.
Concentrate on your family, your health and your best friends and your cats, cause mine are great therapists ;-)
I'm looking forward to getting an Axe II somewhere in the future, when my Standard is dead and gone - and if that will take 15 years - so what!!! I'm happier with this little evil digital monster than I ever was in my live as guitarist - and of course - like someone told - you are already in the hall of fame together with Leo Fender, Jim Marshall and the other big ones - So, get well soon, and even if the support for the Axe I's is over - thank you and your workers for doing that (FW 11 was KILLER)

Yours sincerely,

Andrew van der Funken from Red Bull Country

Most of have so much stress at baseline levels we are not even aware
its there since its under the surface. Also most people don't realize stress is a
physical response.
So true. Some people get ulcers, some chest pain, or high blood pressure, or panic attacks. While I am a Christian and not a Buddhist, I have found some of the Buddhist meditation techniques very effective in relieving much of my stress. It takes patience and persistence to undo years of learned behavior (stressing out, living in the past or future instead of the present, allowing external pressures to influence your well-being, etc.), but with time, practice, and medical intervention if necessary, stress and its physical manifestations can be conquered. Peace Cliff. Live for YOU and your loved ones and for no one else. Personally, I'd like to see you take a long vacation in some tropical paradise.

Hey Cliff,
I bought an Ultra a couple years ago, an MFC a couple months ago, and I think that the II that I have ordered has lots of nice features, and I will get it when I get it. I manage a service company, has to deal with large software vendors,delayed product raleases, lousy customer support, and based on this personal experience I've always been flabbergasted that you can do all the stuff you do and I really think that you are a one of the few sound/development masters alive right now. As a former Line6 customer I've always enjoyed the wealth of info on the forum and the free upgrades, and having a chance to read directly what you think and how you do. I also bought a Gibson dark fire which cost me more than 3000 Euros and it's a piece of crap. Running a business like this is no piece of cake, and I admire you for what you've created in a couple years. Humans have this strange feature that they love to hate each other, find scapegoats ... kind of the history of mankind : any reason is good to hate your neighbour, and when you dont know shit you always think that things are easier that what they really are. So get well, dont worry about the bashing, you built a wonderful product and you can be really proud of this achievement. Most of the guys who say bad things wouldnt be able to write 10 lines of code, let alone run a company. I hope you get well soon and is a couple of monthes when the AXE II ships in large quantities all this bs will be dust in the wind.
Respect,
Philippe

Hope you get better soon Cliff. I'd say take a well earned break. I know FAS as a company is your baby as are the products you design and build and i'm sure you like to be in control but maybe its time to delegate a little (at least for a short while) to employees you have to offload some of the stress. As the saying goes you don't buy a dog and bark yourself.

We will i'm sure all be here when you get back if you were to take a break.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom