Let the price gouging begin….

Piing are you getting the FM9? How did you ship to Thailand? It will take usually a year before it hits Asia. I am trying to get FM9, while selling my current setup.
I am not getting it. I will keep using the Axe-FX III, and maybe get the FM9 when it is available here. Yes, the Axe-FX III took about a year to hit Asia. Do not rush to sell your current setup, unless you have a friend at the US that can order and send it to you, or you want to pay a high price on Reverb.

In which country are you? You could ask the local distributor if he has a way to buy it for you before he receives his lot.

Last edited:
I am not getting it. I will keep using the Axe-FX III, and maybe get the FM9 when it is available here. Yes, the Axe-FX III took about a year to hit Asia. Do not rush to sell your current setup, unless you have a friend at the US that can order and send it to you, or you want to pay a high price on Reverb.

In which country are you? You could ask the local distributor if he has a way to buy it for you before he receives his lot.
I am in Singapore. Yeah, taking my time to sell. I have checked the local distributor but he has no info about it yet. I don't have a friend in US so got to wait it out.

What I mean is some people out there just have so much money, when they see something they want they just buy it price be damned! They flat out just don't care and hey who am I to tell then how to spend their money.

If I were worth hundreds of millions of dollars and saw something I really wanted but had to get in a line and waite then found someone that had one trying to make an extra $1,200 I would just buy it. At that point I'm probably making that kind of money every hour or so.
That may be true, but imagine the stress it takes to earn that kind of money. I'm speaking about someone who works hard for a living, not someone whose Daddy bank-rolled them a money market / 401K early in life and now they're rolling in dough.

Either way, I still think its frivolous to even entertain that kind of desire for something. Heck, I waste more time & energy charging my phone battery than I do charging my CC! Several billion or so other people are guilty of this themselves, yet do you hear them regarding their charging history?

I'd still not buy it, unless a used price actually reflected "used" at $1499 or so. The Reverb seller might find his audience more receptive if he stopped indulging himself with a $3K price.

Its called scalping,

The hype is real, and there's a ton of these types that don't even play, just get on wait lists and flip for profit.

Like buying 8 concert tickets that are good seats for $100 each and reselling for $400 each

Been going on a long time and it's only becoming more of a norm.

It's in every market today too, Playstation 5, PC video cards, anything with a wait.

Its called scalping,

The hype is real, and there's a ton of these types that don't even play, just get on wait lists and flip for profit.

Like buying 8 concert tickets that are good seats for $100 each and reselling for $400 each

It's in every market today too, Playstation 5, PC video cards, anything with a wait.
Concert tickets were the usual targets. Ambitious entrepreneurs who think they can make easy money scalping aren't my idea of trustworthy people. I really detest it when people try hitting up others for money that doesn't belong to them, or is just this short of illegal. Perhaps that's the problem. The seller was a "little short of cash, so he thought to hit others up for some."

Concert tickets were the usual targets. Ambitious entrepreneurs who think they can make easy money scalping aren't my idea of trustworthy people. I really detest it when people try hitting up others for money that doesn't belong to them, or is just this short of illegal. Perhaps that's the problem. The seller was a "little short of cash, so he thought to hit others up for some."
I don't like it either, but my opinion plays no role on what's legal, and sadly, most people are greedy. Welcome to earth.

I don't like it either, but my opinion plays no role on what's legal, and sadly, most people are greedy. Welcome to earth.
Been here a few years. Still not liking everything I see. Lunch was OK, but the retro fries my butt sometimes. Anyway, my opinion won't count for much either, but I just need to remember to watch myself and not fall for my "eye's desire."

TBH, I'm doing pretty good this month, watching my CC debt, and am on track to save about $900-1000 this month. I've personally never been able to accomplish this goal before, and am pleasantly surprised it's been possible. Just not buying extra material things has been the key aspect.

Its called scalping,

I agree100%. People always try and rationalize it. I don't think it's business or cool. I think it's BS.

Since the Reverb seller the first to flip a FM9, $3k is about right. Someone who needs it ASAP, will buy it. Or if you are not in the US, it would be an almost-sort-of OK deal.

Been here a few years. Still not liking everything I see. Lunch was OK, but the retro fries my butt sometimes. Anyway, my opinion won't count for much either, but I just need to remember to watch myself and not fall for my "eye's desire."

TBH, I'm doing pretty good this month, watching my CC debt, and am on track to save about $900-1000 this month. I've personally never been able to accomplish this goal before, and am pleasantly surprised it's been possible. Just not buying extra material things has been the key aspect.

It’s the little purchases that always screwed me up. $20 here, $30 there. Uber Eats has gotten WAY too much of my money! Especially now that I’m living alone for the first time in 15 years.

I just gotta remember, one month of Uber Eats is an FM3!

There is no offer option on his listing. I think it is a bad look on him. I would never over pay for something like that. With something like this, I want to be the one who buys it new so I get the warrantee. There is always the possibility that something could go wrong with it in the first month or two. I want to be able to get it fixed.

This type of thing brings the saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" to mind, every time. It is not a wise purchase. He is free to list it for whatever he wants to. The market will dictate what it is really worth. He may just find someone to buy it for that. I would say that is probably not a wise purchase for the person that decides to buy it at that price.

It’s the little purchases that always screwed me up. $20 here, $30 there. Uber Eats has gotten WAY too much of my money! Especially now that I’m living alone for the first time in 15 years.

I used to get a large chai latte every morning on my way to work and then extrapolated how much I’d pay per year, and decided I had better things to spend my money on. It adds up fast.

Yup. In my instance, it was the amazon purchases for the apartment. The office, kitchen, and home improvement things. Sometimes the occasional luxury music purchase for building an FX board, or a new pedal. The small price tag items weren't so bad; it was the stuff above $40 or higher that added up quickly.

Since going on this "retail diet" of not ordering extra items this past month; I estimate by the time the billing cycle comes round again, I'll have saved about $900-950.

Consider how much food we typically buy in one month's time. If one wishes to save money, one might need to realize that human psychology describes that when we might ever need comforting, we usually buy something that will fill that need. Ordering something and having it arrive and become part of your household is a basic human response to feeling the need for comforting. It happens when we feel hungry or thirsty. Some people smoke or drink to feel comforted. It happens when we might have a bad day, or some other misfortune occurs. While I'd never wish this on anyone, it happens to people.

The clue is that if we are aware of what triggers that need, we can prevent ourselves from buying impulsively, and only buy what we need, when we need it. TBH, it's taken quite a bit of self-control on my part to not buy impulsively, and only consider what's necessary. That's allowed the $900-950 savings this month.

Last edited:
Yup. In my instance, it was the amazon purchases for the apartment. The office, kitchen, and home improvement things. Sometimes the occasional luxury music purchase for building an FX board, or a new pedal. The small price tag items weren't so bad; it was the stuff above $40 or higher that added up quickly.

Since going on this "retail diet" of not ordering extra items this past month; I estimate by the time the billing cycle comes round again, I'll have saved about $900-950.

Consider how much food we typically buy in one month's time. If one wishes to save money, one might need to realize that human psychology describes that when we might ever need comforting, we usually buy something that will fill that need. Ordering something and having it arrive and become part of your household is as basic human response to feeling the need for comforting. It happens when we feel hungry or thirsty. Some people smoke or drink to feel comforted. It happens when we might have a bad day, or some other misfortune occurs. While I'd never wish this on anyone, it happens to people.

The clue is that if we are aware of what triggers that need, we can prevent ourselves from buying impulsively, and only buy what we need, when we need it. TBH, it's taken quite a bit of self-control on my part to not buy impulsively, and only consider what's necessary. That's allowed the $900-950 savings this month.

Now you’re speaking my language for sure. The past few years my life has been on a continuous incline as I get to the root of things I feel hold me back from realizing my full potential. Getting a little off topic here, but the last two years of my marriage failing (officially single as of yesterday afternoon) really threw this for a loop but I won’t get into that here.

I DEFINITELY impulse-bought the FM9. I didn’t even read the specs on it before I was on the waitlist and it wasn’t until I had the tracking number that I actually started watching Leon’s vids on it. :D

Really, my biggest problem now is that I‘m just beat after work. The last month has been a whirlwind as I got my former house ready to sell and the divorce in the works. I’m in my own place now, but work has been absolutely crazy and I’m putting in 75-80 hours a week. If I’m actually home at dinner time, the last thing I want to do is stand over a stove. I’ve got to figure out how to shop/cook for one for the first time in my life. I’m mainly plant-based and when I was married, we’d just hit up farmer’s markets for all of our groceries. We could eat for a week off $80 worth of food.

But yes, you’re certainly right about the immediate gratification aspect and “I want it, I’m going to order it.” Hell, I sort Amazon by what’s available via Prime only! And I also spent a TON of money on there furnishing my new apartment as all I took with me were my clothes and gear and gave the wife everything else in the house (she kind of destroyed any positive feelings about the last 15 years, I don’t want that shit).

Anywho….I’m being pretty good with self-control and buying now. I went a little over the top when I got the house money, bought two guitars and the FM9 within 4 days of each other and almost bought a Taylor after the divorce hearing yesterday. :D (I still might buy that Taylor), but I also went through hell to come out of that situation alive, so really, they’re gifts to myself for not taking myself out in the last two years.

I would imagine that some of these folks realize that $3,000 to them is a lot different to someone with tons of $$$$$.
ex: To my brother in CT., $3,000 would be like $300 is to me.......

Now you’re speaking my language for sure. The past few years my life has been on a continuous incline as I get to the root of things I feel hold me back from realizing my full potential. Getting a little off topic here, but the last two years of my marriage failing (officially single as of yesterday afternoon) really threw this for a loop but I won’t get into that here.

I DEFINITELY impulse-bought the FM9. I didn’t even read the specs on it before I was on the waitlist and it wasn’t until I had the tracking number that I actually started watching Leon’s vids on it. :D

Really, my biggest problem now is that I‘m just beat after work. The last month has been a whirlwind as I got my former house ready to sell and the divorce in the works. I’m in my own place now, but work has been absolutely crazy and I’m putting in 75-80 hours a week. If I’m actually home at dinner time, the last thing I want to do is stand over a stove. I’ve got to figure out how to shop/cook for one for the first time in my life. I’m mainly plant-based and when I was married, we’d just hit up farmer’s markets for all of our groceries. We could eat for a week off $80 worth of food.

But yes, you’re certainly right about the immediate gratification aspect and “I want it, I’m going to order it.” Hell, I sort Amazon by what’s available via Prime only! And I also spent a TON of money on there furnishing my new apartment as all I took with me were my clothes and gear and gave the wife everything else in the house (she kind of destroyed any positive feelings about the last 15 years, I don’t want that shit).

Anywho….I’m being pretty good with self-control and buying now. I went a little over the top when I got the house money, bought two guitars and the FM9 within 4 days of each other and almost bought a Taylor after the divorce hearing yesterday. :D (I still might buy that Taylor), but I also went through hell to come out of that situation alive, so really, they’re gifts to myself for not taking myself out in the last two years.
Sorry if a little off topic but...

If you don't shop at Costco, you should. I went through what you are 6 years ago.

Took a bit but I learned.

I spend about $60 a week, and eat (IMHO) like a king. Takes exactly 20 mins freshly prepared daily. 20 min for meat on grill and 6-7 min steamed veggies.

Since you say you are vegetarian, it's only about 10 min from washing it to eating it if you steam.

IMG_20200617_224409_608.jpg

Congrats on the new apartment, and my condolences on the divorce. Sorry things didn't work out for you.

IIRC, it cost me close to $6-7.5K to furnish my apartment, what with furniture, decor, incidentals, moving expenses, you name it. The kitchen alone what with flatware, silverware, utensils, micro, other stuff cost a boatload.

I was taking care of my elderly Mom for a couple decades following my Dad's passing, and the relationship was tenuous at best. I really needed my own space. Since August 2016, I've lived by myself, and needed to rethink my previous habits of spending, in order to make ends meet. Although I work part-time now, my income is sufficient for my needs. I don't think there's ever been a time when I'd worry about not having enough money for rent or food.

Eventually, Mom sold the family home and moved into the same apartment complex where I live. My feelings were that Mom still needs someone to look after her occasionally, and someone from the immediate family she can depend on for computer, phone, or technical advice.

In order to live within my means, some items I've need to simplify and find more cost-effective ways of accomplishing my goals. The acoustic guitar or effects and amps I used to own made way for the Fractal units, and I've downsized a lot of gear over the years to include the 1-in-1-out rule.

Any gifts I might purchase for myself usually include sharing something with others, when my abilities allow. After I learned to cook for Mom and myself when my Dad passed, I typically would provide home-cooked meals or canned goods to friends, or occasionally ask friends in for a meal. Doing so staved off isolation and boosted my spirits. When Covid hit March of 2020, asking folks in stopped; so I've needed to visit with friends virtually via Zoom each week. I still enjoy prepping a meal for folks who are homebound, or elderly, or disadvantaged.

My immediate neighbor next door has mobility issues and uses a walker most times. Although he isn't the ideal kind of neighbor, he's still a decent guy and enjoys receiving food or desserts. He also enjoys hearing my guitar practice occasionally. I guess that's what helps maintain our friendship; me respecting his limitations and helping out when I can, and him, not ragging on me for my guitar clams, which are more plentiful than quahogs in New England on restaurant menus. :)

It’s been bad with gear for awhile. Now it’s everyday toys. People just buy out the shelves at target Walmart etc knowing there are shortages just to try and make a profit

Back
Top Bottom