"Let the Journey Begin!" :o)

Radley

Experienced
After trying the UltraFX for 3 weeks, today I have made a decision: The Ultra is my new main modeler! :geek: I was very careful to go slow (I almost sent it back during the first week), but gradually I began to realize all I could achieve with the AFX, and it also seemed to help me with that awful guitar-player's habit of over-EQing.

Special thanks to Cliff and Tom for being so nice, helpful, & responsive even before I had 'committed' - let the journey begin! :)

~Hadley~

Radley said:
After trying the UltraFX for 3 weeks, today I have made a decision: The Ultra is my new main modeler! :geek: I was very careful to go slow (I almost sent it back during the first week), but gradually I began to realize all I could achieve with the AFX, and it also seemed to help me with that awful guitar-player's habit of over-EQing.

Special thanks to Cliff and Tom for being so nice, helpful, & responsive even before I had 'committed' - let the journey begin! :)

~Hadley~

Yeah, but the billion dollar question is: Are ya using that other thingy with it?

hidesbehindsofa.gif

-<MACHINE>- said:
Radley said:

~Hadley~

Yeah, but the billion dollar question is: Are ya using that other thingy with it?

hidesbehindsofa.gif

Well, as an unashamed owner of that other thingy, I have to say I haven't had anything but the odd perversely curious impulse to try it with the Axe. That Other Thingy, whatever it may be, helped with the modeler fizz to some degree, my Axe just assassinated that problem.. POW! (Headshot!)

And sorry to Hadley as I now remember I promised to let you know what I thought of the Axe. Well, I loved it (obviously).

I am Radley, aka Rad, aka Hadley Hockensmith, aka Radley Rockensmith. I have frequented both the Boss & Line6 boards for a good while. I plan to incorporate the Harmonic Converger into my new rig, but not because the Ultra necessarily 'needs' it - I just personally like what it adds to my tone. As I posted on another board last nite, "The whole 'fizz profile' of the AFX is much closer to that of a real amp - it just sounds different on the hi end (than the other modelers)". As I have already told Tom & Cliff, I am fine with whatever anybody here or elsewhere thinks about the HC pro or con, but I would prefer not to make it a focus of discussion on this board - the AxeFX is the 'star' here, not the HC or anything else. I am happy to answer any questions, but have always preferred to do it offline via email at Radtones@aol.com.

I played in Koinonia for over 8 years and it was certainly a musical highlight of my career - just to play next to Abe Laboriel (I play serious bass as well) was worth 'the price of admission'! I played some tracking sessions with the guys just a couple of weeks ago & it felt as good as ever. We still talk about getting back together and doing some touring in the States and Europe, but we all have to take serious pay cuts to do it! :cry: Nevertheless, I really hope it happens. :p

Cheers,
~Rad~

PS - I'm thinking it's best to quote the whole post I made at GT Central last night....here 'tis:

"I will try to answer everyone (but probably won't succeed) - here goes:

I will continue to use my GT-10 & other Boss modelers when appropriate because there are some things they can do as well or better. When I first got the AxeFX, I was a bit underwhelmed with the compression and reverb & I seriously considered sending it back - I expressed this on the board & Cliff himself responded numerous times & has already made changes to both compressors and reverbs. I have also since gotten to know how to get the best out of these effects (huge numbers of parameters available). Tom King was the main guy from Fractal that I dealt with, and he has been very helpful as well.

The 'clincher' was when I realized that I felt like I was playing through my old Super-Reverb amp, complete with controllable pre & power amp distortion, tube rectifier sag, authentic presence control, etc. My Supers have always been the benchmark of tone for me, and in some ways, the AFX might even be better (I knew this would happen, it was just a question of who would do it first) - it certainly is way more 'tweakable'.

Is it perfect? Not yet, but I believe Cliff wants it to be, and is willing to work on it full time. Getting around inside the AFX is slower and a bit less intuitive than the GT-10, but as far as effects routing goes, it's the first unit I've seen that offers even more flexibility than the GT-10. The whole 'fizz profile' of the AFX is much closer to that of a real amp - it just sounds different on the hi end.

In the end, my decision was largely based on trust:

• I believe that Cliff & Tom going to make this venture work on a large scale.
• I believe the company will be around for a long time.
• I like supporting someone who is a true american entrepreneur, in the best sense of the word.
• I trust the the AFX will continue to improve and 'raise the bar' for all modeling competition - this is good and much needed.
• I also trust that I will be treated with respect and consideration (especially when touring) - this is something Roland knows nothing about!

Hope I answered most of the questions - if not, I'll try to later.

Cheers,
~Rad~"

I really do wish, out of pure curiosity, I could know what exactly the Harmonic Converger does and how it does it. I know Cliff's explanation from the old forum and I know Hadley's feelings on it and his reasons for so closely guarding the design, but still I can't help but wonder. But this is not the forum and maybe I've said too much on it already.. so I won't be mentioning The Thingy here anymore.

Glad to have you onboard, Hadley, you seemed like a class guy when I dealt with you about two years back.

Beefcake said:
....but still I can't help but wonder. But this is not the forum and maybe I've said too much on it already.. so I won't be mentioning The Thingy here anymore.

It's OK to 'wonder', but let's don't 'steal the thunder'.... ;) I'm still on my AxeFX honeymoon! :shock:

~Rad~

Hadley! I'm afraid I'm not using my Harmonic Converger with my Axe-fx :). I sold it to my friend with the POD though! He left it in a pub, but never mind...

Welcome to the club! Drinks are cheap and so are the thrills.

Hey, Radley. Welcome. As far as the HC goes, good on you for making it. No matter what anyone else says about it, it WAS a solution to the bad FIZZ of the XT and it's that kind of problem solving that I'm sure Cliff understands.

It's not about the product, it's about the pursuit to make it better. :cool: That's why I left Line6 amp modelling long ago because IMO their pursuit was over after the introduction of the Vetta in 2001. Since then it's just been product rehashes and minor tweaks (apart from them begging Bogner to help them with their "modelling" :lol: ).

Welcome.

But I'm not getting into this even with a ten foot pole and a full haz-mat suit.

Radley, enjoy your journey. Keep making music. The rest of it doesn't belong on this forum in any shape, form or anything else. IMHO, anything related to the 'other thingie' can be done off the board via PM or email with Beefcake or any other sort of folks. The rancor that comes from both the "for the other thingie" and the "against the other thingie" has poisoned enough boards I've seen to last till the end of time.

A little history lesson to the ignorant of what's transpired in the past might shed light on my opinion and statement; but please do that off the boards too.

Just IMHO and YMMV.

Folks - please don't worry. I mentioned it only because someone brought up it in this thread and I simply wanted to address it and get it 'out of the way' - it is now officially 'out of the way', so let's talk about the AFX! :)

BTW, I just finished tweaking the factory Brian May patch (mainly lowed the wah freq. and fattened up the amp by adding just a pinch of Damping with the Deep on full) - crazy kick!

xtcguitar said:
when can we expect a harmonic converger for the Axe? :roll: LMFAO!

Infractual Homogeonator? :lol: :shock: :lol:

Seriously, the sound of the AFX is just more like a well-behaved amp - even the fizz sounds more organic!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.... please?

------------

Has anyone else messed with the Brian May patch? I've already made 3 modified patches from it as 'starting material' :idea:

~Rad~

Scott Peterson said:
IMHO, anything related to the 'other thingie' can be done off the board via PM or email with Beefcake or any other sort of folks.

Well, it seems everyone agrees then.

Back
Top Bottom