let me give you a quick and simple tip...

Tonewicker

Inspired
if you are working in a studio and recording a lot of guitar tracks always and i mean ALWAYS change the track name as the preset number/name you used instead of using ''guitar left, solo guitar '' etc.. so when you need to go back something you record before and make some changes you will know which preset you used on that record.
i know its a really small tip but i learn that in a hard way today ;)

In Cubase, I write a description in the note tab of the track. This way you can be more detailed and not have a track name a mile long. :)

Another idea is to create a cheat sheet. Give each guitar track a number and jot down the associated presets (and other info) for each in notepad. In turn, you can print that out if needed.

I always TRY to remember to write a note in the track comments sections. I still like to call the track what it is, EGtr-L for example. Function is more important to me ultimately than what amp was used. I too do a LOT of tracks. I need to know when mixing what the track is MUSICALLY. IOW is this a strumming rhythm guitar part, muted rhythm, harmony lead, solo, melody, chunk guitar part, etc. Then in the notes I look to see, when I have to fix a part or get another idea, what I used.

Great advise. Since I don't use presets but rather a ever changing template I band it by amp-mic/amp model-cab model.

Since often sessions go from DAW to another I also have made it a habit to consolidate and more importantly add .txt files where it says DI gtr not to be used. Etc

I generally write a comment on the track that tells me which preset, any changes to it, and which guitar, and then keep the track name short and useful. i.e., the track name might be "Rhythm 1" and the note will say "168 Bassman, Input Trim 2.5, + Chorus ... Strat bridge pup"

I name my presets in a format like: [session/song name] [track name (e.g. Rhy Gtr1)] and PT on the end for Pro Tools. Then, when I'm completely done with a song, I setup a folder in the session folder called AFX presets and export everything for that session there. I also devote Preset Bank B to presets from Pro Tools sessions.

I've started using a "dummy" track (always muted, always at the top of all tracks) that has a region for each chord change. I label each region with that chord name, and that allows me to see what is going on when I'm putting on a new track or when I print out the score. I'm using Logic X. Not exactly solving the same problem as the OP, but another way to keep track of things. There might be a better way of doing the same thing that I'm not aware of.

I always _mean_ to export a sysx of each preset and save it with the project however it rarely happens :)

Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom