Let’s talk bass fuzz—esp getting brassmaster like tones

JES

I’ve been experimenting with EQ and gating with the Muff model. But I’m curious to hear about others’ experience with other Fractal fuzz models for low end.

The main fuzz on my board is a VFE Woodchipper. It is hideous and glorious. Not at all like a Muff. Tons of mids, rip your fuzz off fuzz, and lots of options for low end. It’s a brassmaster variant, but it seems there is very little discussion of the brassmaster here. I also have a Malekko B:Assmaster which is fantastic and disgusting in its own way.

I saw in another thread that @Admin M@ added a ring modulator in front of the Octavia model, so I will try that next. I don’t need an exact replica, just a functional equivalent.

Thanks for the reply, not sure why I didn't see it sooner. It's a gated fuzz with some octave, you'll hear the gate working on the last
note especially. Here's a recording with me playing; Beyer M160, M201, and Shure SM57 mics on a 12" bass speaker (phase aligned); the speaker's low pass starts around 4-5k, so there's a lot more high end available ( like a lot of fuzzes, it gets spitty without a cab), Orange head.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7wgvpl83acrn9g/Woodchipper.mp3?dl=0

And here's the YouTube demo:

That’s a nice dirty sound. Pretty extreme. Not sure how to get that out of the Axe fx. Fuzzes on multi fx are always a bit a pain to recreate.

Have you considered running a gated high gain amp into an octave into a clean amp?
That seems like a very cumbersome way to get a fuzz sound.
What would be a gated high gain amp? Or do you mean putting a gate in front of a high gain amp?

That seems like a very cumbersome way to get a fuzz sound.
What would be a gated high gain amp? Or do you mean putting a gate in front of a high gain amp?
Why is it cumbersome? Its an amp block instead of a drive block.

High gain amp as boost/fuzz/favourite term-gate-clean amp.

I don't have a "recipe" per se but I'm always able to create an in-your-face fuzz bass without much trouble. I'd need your pedal in my hands to dial it in, but I think the Drive block has most of the tools you need between front end low cut and post EQ. If you need a more detailed pre or post EQ you can always add a drive block or even a Tone Match.

Why is it cumbersome? Its an amp block instead of a drive block.

High gain amp as boost/fuzz/favourite term-gate-clean amp.

To me an amp block is different than a fuzz algo or pedal. Also you have to go through a lot of amps to find the sound you want plus all the parameters you have to dial in. Too much variables (for me anyway).

To me an amp block is different than a fuzz algo or pedal. Also you have to go through a lot of amps to find the sound you want plus all the parameters you have to dial in. Too much variables (for me anyway).
A lot of amps vs a lot of pedals
Standard vs ideal pages for both
Parameters to change

Its about the same just dont overthink what you’re doing imo.

Thanks for the reply, not sure why I didn't see it sooner. It's a gated fuzz with some octave, you'll hear the gate working on the last
note especially. Here's a recording with me playing; Beyer M160, M201, and Shure SM57 mics on a 12" bass speaker (phase aligned); the speaker's low pass starts around 4-5k, so there's a lot more high end available ( like a lot of fuzzes, it gets spitty without a cab), Orange head.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7wgvpl83acrn9g/Woodchipper.mp3?dl=0

And here's the YouTube demo:

It sounds like there is a ring modulator in there.

I‘d love to have a BrassMaster-ish pedal! I’m using a Malekko Diabolic myself and love the mentioned examples before. Unfortunately, not much love for us bass players in the Fractal world while guitarists are being spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom