Let’s see your les pauls

I don't normally post any pics of this LP because I don't like to brag about it. I've owned it since the mid 90's. However I thought I share this with my fellow Fractal users. Some of you might recognise this from the MLP forum from a few years back. Yes it is that guitar you think it is! and yes I do own it lol.

View attachment 98125
Ok, history-less me, I'll bite. What guitar is that? Besides your cool lp.

My rescue babies. One from the dump, the ohter from Guitar Center.

iLTZdTM.jpg

Ok, history-less me, I'll bite. What guitar is that? Besides your cool lp.
Ok here's the thing, I don't like to go on about this. I cannot confirm this and I'm not saying this is true but there is a 99.9% chance that this LP used to belong to Marc Bolan. I've owned it since 94". If you go and check out the MLP forum you'll see all the info and signs that it might be his guitar. I think the original thread was under "Possible 58-59 Les Paul".

I should mention that it is a 59" and how I know that is this guitar was documented by a friend of mine "Steve Clarke" who has a book called "Famous Frets". You can find it on Amazon I think! He has quite a few famous guitars in his book where Steve would go to owners house or property and basically take a detailed look at the guitar, take the pickups out, have a look inside etc. Guitars like mine, the Kossoff LP, Bruce Welch's Strat that used to belong to Hank and many others! It's worth checking out.

Anyway one of the pots that Steve took out dated back to November 1959 from the code on the edge of it. There is no serial no anywhere on the guitar and we know that Marc was famous for breaking guitars on stage and there was at least 6 neck replacements when he owned the guitar. Our guess is that a Luthier made a new neck back then and that will be why there is no serial or anything on the guitar.

I'd love Gibson to take a look, just out of interest really. I've emailed them many times with pics etc but that was at the start of the pandemic and I never heard anything back from them.

We've checked the pickup cavities and there's nothing in there either. Pickups are an original Zebra PAF in the neck and a double white in the bridge that we don't think is an original PAF but has the sticker on the back. The Zebra doesn't have any sticker on it at all.

Anyway I hope that gives you guys some more info! As I mentioned I don't like to go on about it, it's a fantastic guitar and I love it! It had a little issue a couple of years back where the bridge posts were sinking too far into the body and I was getting some intonation issues and basically the the guitar wouldn't play at all, but I had that sorted out by a Luthier over here in the UK and I ended up replacing the bridge because is was twisted. Plays great now and sounds better than ever!

Last edited:
This is my current Les Paul. I have had 4 different ones since I was 16 (mid 80s $750 new, mid 90s $1.2k, late 90s $2.5k, 2020 epi - $745). This one is by far my favorite of them and it is not a Gibson. It weighs just over 10 pounds, is a custom with all USA electronics (before I put the BKP holy Divers and BKP/CST & Switchcraft electronics (no drilling required).

These pics are literally just after I soldered in the Holy Divers and electronics, plus new elixirs just put on. Oh and the new speed knobs with chrome top rings.

20220302_115408.jpg20220302_115412.jpg20220302_075012.jpg20220301_162634.jpg

Last edited:
First post here, but this topic is now a special thing for me. I played guitar back in the 80's and it fell by the wayside for nearly 20 years. Fortunately I never sold my 1985 Kramer Voyager (was signed by and given away by KISS back in 1986!) Well fast forward to 2020 and I dusted it off and was like a kid in the candy store with the electronics available now, needless to say, that is why I am here now.
Anyway, fast forward to 2021, I learned my best friend and partner in crime from back in my guitar days was diagnosed with cancer and given little time. I met with him last June because he was liquidating all his guitars which included what turned out to be his favorite: a black 2012 LP classic custom. I didn't want to take it from him, but it was one of the most memorable and bittersweet nights in my life as he was so happy that I was getting his prize possession as I was happy to aquire it too. He survived just 2 more weeks and now I have a great keepsake from him that I will never part with.
Funny thing is I was never a huge LP guy, but the more I play it, the more I love it. I just assembled an EVH Wolfgang that is nice, but I still feel more comfortable with my LP.

Attachments

• 20210614_211507.jpg
    20210614_211507.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
First post here, but this topic is now a special thing for me. I played guitar back in the 80's and it fell by the wayside for nearly 20 years. Fortunately I never sold my 1985 Kramer Voyager (was signed by and given away by KISS back in 1986!) Well fast forward to 2020 and I dusted it off and was like a kid in the candy store with the electronics available now, needless to say, that is why I am here now.
Anyway, fast forward to 2021, I learned my best friend and partner in crime from back in my guitar days was diagnosed with cancer and given little time. I met with him last June because he was liquidating all his guitars which included what turned out to be his favorite: a black 2012 LP classic custom. I didn't want to take it from him, but it was one of the most memorable and bittersweet nights in my life as he was so happy that I was getting his prize possession as I was happy to aquire it too. He survived just 2 more weeks and now I have a great keepsake from him that I will never part with.
Funny thing is I was never a huge LP guy, but the more I play it, the more I love it. I just assembled an EVH Wolfgang that is nice, but I still feel more comfortable with my LP.
Welcome! Bittersweet story for sure and that is a beautiful guitar. Hope you make your best friend proud!

Well, here is my nice pair..

a 2012 Les Paul Standard in quilted "Desert Burst", and a 2003 Les Paul Standard DC in "Black Pepper"

I wont bother mentioning I waited 40 years for a Les Paul Standard... but this 2012 in Desert Burst was worth it.

20220322_144943.jpg

Last edited:
2011 LP Custom. I had a beautiful heritage cherry standard but never jelled with it. I knew within 30 seconds of playing it that this LP custom was a keeper. I sold the sunburst to offset the cost. Someday I might look for another sunburst but I've got several other guitars on the GAS list that take precedence. This LP is definitely one of my favorites.

IMG_5768.jpg

Up front,
2 / 2008 Les Paul Special Double cut Faded in Cherry and TV Yellow. 60's Slim taper.
Back row, starting <----
2006 Les Paul Standard Faded in Honey Burst finish. 60's slim taper.
2014 Les Paul Trad Pro III I think? It's either a 2 or 3, in Vintage Burst. 60's Slim Taper. Completely rewired removing all the push pull and boost nonsense.
2000 Les Paul Standard (my number 1) in Burgundy wine finish. 59 profile.
2003 Les Paul Standard (no longer owned) in Lightburst finish. 50's Profile.
2003 Les Paul Classic in Cinnamon burst. 60's slim taper.
All of the standards have Suhr Aldrich pickups, tusq nuts, Tonepros locking bridge and tailpiece, as well have been rewired with CTS 550K low tolerance pots.

IMG_5638_zpswhzvrjgw.jpg

And just because the photo above doesn't do it justice. Here is a beauty shot of the 2006 Standard faded.
2006 Standard Faded 3.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom