Let’s see those Super Strats!

Here are a couple of favorites: a pair of Ibanez 540 SQM's from 1997. They're solid, comfortable, and very light. And there's something about those Wizard necks that just feels right.

20191104_024240.jpg

Ibanez's Lo Pro Edge is a killer bridge. The one on the right has been in its case for a year, and it's still in tune.

20191104_024248.jpg

The red one is a work in progress. I cobbled parts form a Double Edge into the Lo Pro Edge to make an ersatz Lo Pro Double Edge. It gots piezo! :)

20191104_024610.jpg

here's one of my warmoth builds. 7/8 size, chambered, with roasted maple neck and ebony fingerboard. dimarzio pickups and piezo system with a gotoh trem. jumbo stainless frets and locking tuners. gibson scale length. it's done literally hundreds of gigs and is lightweight and totally rock solid.

DSCN1812.jpg

This is actually the guitar I've owned the longest. Bought it new in 1989 and still have it.

ibanez.jpg

My Warmoth: Roasted flame maple neck with the Wizard profile, roasted swamp ash body with flame maple top and white binding, Fishman Fluence Classic humbuckers with a three-way mini toggle for the three voices, EverTune bridge... It is a very versatile instrument that fulfills all my personal wants as a guitar player.
IMG_20190711_135535.jpg

I always thought it was a Strat with at least one humbucker.
As a superstrat fondler for many years, I'd say a humbucker in the bridge and something else (floyd, different switching, fancy maple top etc) would definitely classify a strat as a superstrat. Just a standard vintage spec strat with a humbucker in the bridge is touch and go IMHO.

Not sure I would call 24 frets or pointy contours necessary for a guitar being a superstrat. Part of me almost want to say that a superstrat can't have more than 22 frets and not stray to far off from the strat shape. 24 frets and pointy is a shredder to me, not a superstrat. It's all pretty subjective though.
I've always thought of something in the vein of Eddie's Frankenstrat as the original super strat.

I think it's all close enough for Rock n Roll though!
I guess this counts then? Though I don't consider it a superstrat, really. More just...weird.

How do you like that pickup set? I’ve came close to buying that same set.
It’s different. I’ll say that. Not a “clucky” Strat sound. Lot more mids than any Strat I usually gravitate towards. The sustainer system is cool. The whole guitar is excellent and Fender Mexico did a good job with the setup.

Back
Top Bottom