Let’s see those Super Strats!

Mine is customized HSH. 1998 American Standard I've had since it was new.

All three pickups are split coiled and I have a push pull that lets me run them all at the same time if I want. Single or double coil.

Duncan Jazz in the neck.
DiMarzio Chopper in the middle.
Duncan Invader in the bridge (way over the top output... completely unnecessary lol).

Attachments

• aaaIMG_1463.jpg
    aaaIMG_1463.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • aaaIMG_1464.jpg
    aaaIMG_1464.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • stratpaper1.jpg
    stratpaper1.jpg
    898.6 KB · Views: 15
HuHTG0s.jpg

aBTSd0Y.jpg

c4PHFJ4.jpg

UGx6wTQ.jpg

wMTtqSZ.jpg

Here's one of my numerous Ibanez guitars: A 1987 S540Pro that I built entirely from vintage parts I bought on eBay. I did this one about 12-13 years ago.

The body was originally the same finish as the guitar behind it on the stand but had dings and chips... But it was purchased with the intent to strip and refinish.

It was my first attempt and I spent a long time (over a month, several nights a week) with chemical stripper removing the finish. I later learned about using a heat gun. My second stripped guitar took less than an hour!

After stripping and sanding I applied some 6-8 coats of hand-rubbed varnish.

A careful eye will notice the one tuning peg in the picture is chrome and the other hardware is black. Couldn't find any black Ibanez tuners at the time. They've been swapped out since then.
D2D64FCC-BDFE-4562-AF81-3C9FB2180C9C.jpeg

Here's mine .... it's a Studio Las Nubes guitar built by Dave Dyer & Scott Chuhaloff in California ....

Roger's SLN-Tyler Super Strat.jpg

It had the Floyd Rose when I bought it in 2012, but I added the D-Tuna as soon as I got it ! It has a Roasted Maple neck with a compound radius finger board 9.5" to 12" .... I had Phil Jacoby re-fret it w/ 6100 Stainless frets .... The 21st & 22nd frets are scalloped, and you can't see in the photo ..., but the Heel Crest where the neck meets the body has been cut down ( both done by Rick Mariner @ Haywire Guitars ). It has the "Studio Elite" wiring harness from James Tyler Guitars ( Series/Split/Parallel switching ) w/a "Secret" ( Hot PAF ) and 2 Seymour Duncan stacked singles and a blower switch ..., finally it includes the Tyler mid-boost w/ the push button true bypass ....

It's been my "Frankenstein" since I bought it .... Basically any hair-brained idea that I get ..., I pretty much try .... Next up might be a sustainer/sustaniac ? Not sure about that yet though ?

I added a 2nd pic to show the cut down heel crest ....

Attachments

• 121-300x267.jpg
    121-300x267.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Oh, cool. Nice to have options!

Now days it's pretty much set it and forget it ..., but you're right it is nice to have options !

The bridge is usually set to Parallel ( just to get a different flavor ), because the blower defaults to Series .... The middle I leave Split and I actually prefer the neck in Parallel too ....

When I originally ordered it from Tyler he recommended the Super for the bridge ( his equivalent of Suhr's Aldrich - hot humbucker ) ..., but it was overpowering the other pickups, so we swapped it out for the Secret .... Much better balance and w/ the Axe I can always up the Input Trim if I want to simulate a hotter pickup !

ss.jpg
some of mine..from left to right,,
2015 Fender Reclaimed Redwood Strat w upgrade to Fluence SSH pups
MIJ Strat of forgotten origin..
1988 Casio PG-380, a truly truly super Strat built in the Ibanez factory by the same craftspersons who likely made many of @unix-guy 's Sabres and all the early Jems...Onboard synth, a great Floyd , and...REAL MIDI OUT! one of my best players......

Now days it's pretty much set it and forget it ..., but you're right it is nice to have options !

The bridge is usually set to Parallel ( just to get a different flavor ), because the blower defaults to Series .... The middle I leave Split and I actually prefer the neck in Parallel too ....

When I originally ordered it from Tyler he recommended the Super for the bridge ( his equivalent of Suhr's Aldrich - hot humbucker ) ..., but it was overpowering the other pickups, so we swapped it out for the Secret .... Much better balance and w/ the Axe I can always up the Input Trim if I want to simulate a hotter pickup !
I definitely prefer parallel over split mode. It's got a great character.

Here's one of my numerous Ibanez guitars: A 1987 S540Pro that I built entirely from vintage parts I bought on eBay. I did this one about 12-13 years ago.

The body was originally the same finish as the guitar behind it on the stand but had dings and chips... But it was purchased with the intent to strip and refinish.

It was my first attempt and I spent a long time (over a month, several nights a week) with chemical stripper removing the finish. I later learned about using a heat gun. My second stripped guitar took less than an hour!

After stripping and sanding I applied some 6-8 coats of hand-rubbed varnish.

A careful eye will notice the one tuning peg in the picture is chrome and the other hardware is black. Couldn't find any black Ibanez tuners at the time. They've been swapped out since then.
View attachment 59726
Here's a pic of the back which was signed by many of the artists at the 2015 G4 Experience:
0956894C-81F8-4DD5-AC79-4E02197F9405.jpeg
Here's another of my Ibanez project builds: a 1987 R540Pro with a Wizard neck (factory neck would be an Ultra).

Stripped by me, painted by my son. Also signed at G4:230133E3-E602-4F19-B3B3-55E084D6CAEF.jpeg2ADD37A5-0836-463B-874A-96C94069ECE8.jpeg

Is a strat with a humbucker a super strat? I thought it took some making-of-the-ends-pointy and 24 frets to make super?

Back
Top Bottom