Let’s see those Les Pauls!

mX2SpNd.jpg

I've never owned a real Les Paul... My first "real" guitar was a Memphis Les Paul copy loaded with DiMarzio pickups that I bought from a classmate for $100 back in '86. The pickups were worth more than I paid and probably more than the guitar!

I've wanted to like Les Pauls because they can be gorgeous, like yours! But I've never played one I really liked and they are too damn heavy...

Great example, though!

I've never owned a real Les Paul... My first "real" guitar was a Memphis Les Paul copy loaded with DiMarzio pickups that I bought from a classmate for $100 back in '86. The pickups were worth more than I paid and probably more than the guitar!

I've wanted to like Les Pauls because they can be gorgeous, like yours! But I've never played one I really liked and they are too damn heavy...

Great example, though!
Yep, I guess Les Pauls are one those love em or hate em things. When I play a Les Paul, it just feels like home.

I need to get some better pictures of it but here's my Les Paul Studio with my Strat. Always wanted a "real" Les Paul but this one is my favorite of any from the Studio line I've seen. Love the finish (or lack thereof, heh).

It came with BurstBuckers but the neck pickup kept shorting out so I had GC put a Seymour Duncan '59 in it. Still shorts out. Switch was even replaced at one point but it still does it. The good news is, that original neck pickup is probably fine. :tonguewink:

Attachments

• aaaIMG_1463.jpg
    aaaIMG_1463.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • aaaIMG_1464.jpg
    aaaIMG_1464.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • aaaIMG_1478.jpg
    aaaIMG_1478.jpg
    871.5 KB · Views: 54

Great example, though!

My Studio probably weighs slightly less than my Strat, just FYI. If you can find one you like they're a great option. Mine plays great and sounds pretty damn good. It isn't perfect but I got it second hand and I've been pretty happy with it.

The factory setup was trash by the way. The guy I got it from never really touched it or had it setup. Gibson tends to leave the nut slots cut real high with the thinking the stores will adjust it before putting them on the shelf. I'd guess the vast majority of those stores don't bother and it's unfortunate because it leaves a horrible first impression. Once you fix that it's a completely different guitar.

My Studio probably weighs slightly less than my Strat, just FYI. If you can find one you like they're a great option. Mine plays great and sounds pretty damn good. It isn't perfect but I got it second hand and I've been pretty happy with it.

The factory setup was trash by the way. The guy I got it from never really touched it or had it setup. Gibson tends to leave the nut slots cut real high with the thinking the stores will adjust it before putting them on the shelf. I'd guess the vast majority of those stores don't bother and it's unfortunate because it leaves a horrible first impression. Once you fix that it's a completely different guitar.
Actually, now that you mention that, I recall a friend of a friend let me play his LP Studio and I liked it. The weight was not bad and it sounded good!

Okay, these aren't "real" Les Pauls. But in many ways, they're what every Les Paul wants to be.

20191024_235650.jpg

These are block-logo-era Austin AU786's. The necks feel perfect to my hands, and the fretwork is uniformly outstanding. I bought them all used, and none of them is off level by more than .0025", which is exceptional for a ten-to-fifteen-year-old guitar. They also have the most stable necks of any guitar I own. The truss rods rarely need seasonal adjustments, and a typical year where I live sees temperatures swing between -15 °F and 100 °F. The one on the left sees more gig time than any other guitar I own. The one on the right I keep strung with 11's for practice.

The neck joints are as well-executed as any Gibson, and tighter than most. And the headstocks are attached with scarf joints, a lesson that Gibson has yet to learn.

20191024_235853.jpg

Fit and finish is uniformly excellent. Joinery is cut and fitted down to a gnat's ass. Killer inlays. Six-layer binding on the front, back and headstock. And check out the ribbon figuring on the sapele in back.

20191025_000046.jpg

The bodies are solid and resonant. And believe it or not. the factory pickups are wonderful! Very PAFfy. Plenty of presence, but not shrill.

20191025_000158.jpg

Best of all is the price. If you're willing to be patient, you can find these for dirt cheap. Austin is a bargain brand with little street cred. But in their block logo heyday, they produced some excellent models.

The cheapest of the four cost me $100 at a local pawn shop. It needed a new volume pot, and that's it. The most expensive cost me $194 plus $10 shipping. That one came with a hardshell case and Pearly Gates pickups. Pearlies go for $150 a set on the used market, so I essentially bought the guitar and case for $50. :cool:

Last edited:
Oh, HELL yeah......bad ass! Details?
Real or relic?

it’s a 2000 LP Classic that I bought new from Mars Music in Orlando when they went out of business. Has been with me all these years as we have moved around the world. Modifications are all mine with some damage legit and some added for the mojo. Cracking started in Colorado one winter and it inspired me. Apologies to those who dislike relics. :/

The guitar has wolftone pickups and RS wiring and the bigsby is installed with the vibramate kit so easily removable. Clearly was going for the Lanois/Young kinda groove but I don’t plan on changing to a firebird pup.

Okay, these aren't "real" Les Pauls. But in many ways, they're what every Les Paul wants to be.

View attachment 59392

These are block-logo-era Austin AU768's. The necks feel perfect to my hands, and the fretwork is uniformly outstanding. I bought them all used, and none of them is off level by more than .0025", which is exceptional for a ten-to-fifteen-year-old guitar. They also have the most stable necks of any guitar I own. The truss rods rarely need seasonal adjustments, and a typical year where I live sees temperatures swing between -15 °F and 100 °F. The one on the left sees more gig time than any other guitar I own. The one on the right I keep strung with 11's for practice.

The neck joints are as well-executed as any Gibson, and tighter than most. And the headstocks are attached with scarf joints, a lesson that Gibson has yet to learn.

View attachment 59394

Fit and finish is uniformly excellent. Joinery is cut and fitted down to a gnat's ass. Killer inlays. Six-layer binding on the front, back and headstock. And check out the ribbon figuring on the sapele in back.

View attachment 59393

The bodies are solid and resonant. And believe it or not. the factory pickups are wonderful! Very PAFfy. Plenty of presence, but not shrill.

View attachment 59395

Best of all is the price. If you're willing to be patient, you can find these for dirt cheap. Austin is a bargain brand with little street cred. But in their block logo heyday, they produced some excellent models.

The cheapest of the four cost me $100 at a local pawn shop. It needed a new volume pot, and that's it. The most expensive cost me $194 plus $10 shipping. That one came with a hardshell case and Pearly Gates pickups. Pearlies go for $150 a set on the used market, so I essentially bought the guitar and case for $50. :cool:

Yep Rex, it’s just like you said in the nitro/poly thread....use what you love! Those are some damn fine.........Austins!

If you love them as much as I love my Les Pauls, then I know they found a great home! :)

it’s a 2000 LP Classic that I bought new from Mars Music in Orlando when they went out of business. Has been with me all these years as we have moved around the world. Modifications are all mine with some damage legit and some added for the mojo. Cracking started in Colorado one winter and it inspired me. Apologies to those who dislike relics. :/

The guitar has wolftone pickups and RS wiring and the bigsby is installed with the vibramate kit so easily removable. Clearly was going for the Lanois/Young kinda groove but I don’t plan on changing to a firebird pup.
That is a damn cool LP for sure......love the relicing! Never seen knobs like that before, but not surprised...I don’t get out much.;)

Back
Top Bottom