Let’s see those Les Pauls!

Haven't had this one out in awhile so I was jamming on it this weekend, such a killer player.

IMG-7744.jpg

IMG-7745.jpg

Better pic than I can take, besides the bling woods it's got a interesting 25.5-24.75 scale which I really like (dont play detuned stuff, tuned B-E). Didn't want a extended scale 7 so this hit the spot, got it on sale too. Thinking about another...s-l1600 (2).jpg

Doesn't this make playing chords up the neck pretty much impossible? I've never played one and I'm curious about it. Gorgeous guitar, though. No question there.

Doesn't this make playing chords up the neck pretty much impossible? I've never played one and I'm curious about it. Gorgeous guitar, though. No question there.
Nope. You can even chord with staggered frets.

1574853658423.png

I mean, now do you reach the low E string with your pinky when playing up the neck on a multiscale guitar? Seems to me this would be pretty awkward and would require Paul Gilbert style freakishly long pinky. Shit, I'm pretty sure my middle finger is shorter than Paul's pinky.

I mean, now do you reach the low E string with your pinky when playing up the neck on a multiscale guitar? Seems to me this would be pretty awkward and would require Paul Gilbert style freakishly long pinky. Shit, I'm pretty sure my middle finger is shorter than Paul's pinky.
it's got a interesting 25.5-24.75
That means the low strings use a 25.5" scale length (the same as a Strat) and the high strings use a 24.75" scale length (same as a Les Paul). Do you have any issues trying to play a Strat?

Fan-fret is surprisingly very natural, you don't even really think about it in most cases. But there are some cases chording up the neck when it feels unnatural to me. I notice it when stacking fingers adjacent on the same fret up the neck. When you’d usually do a 23, it goes against the fret angle, so it ends up more comfortable as a 32.

Hmm. I should check it out then. I think that I'd run into issues simply because if frets are at an angle wrt the bottom of the fretboard the pinky now needs to be as long as the long as the long side of the triangle (hypotenuse) rather than just the height of the fretboard. The more dramatic the fanout, the worse the effect. And this gets worse if there's even a modest a stretch. Although I suppose it should be more comfortable and natural towards the nut (because the slant aligns better with the natural finger lengths), so there's a tradeoff to consider.

Actually, upon thinking about this some more, never mind: I was just thinking about it in terms of the "perpendicular fret" fretboard. This is fundamentally a different beast, and fingers need not be any longer if you consider what's involved in fretting a chord or an arpeggio. Thanks for the explanation, @unix-guy!

Back
Top Bottom