Let’s see those Les Pauls!

Both are such beautiful guitars! Congratulations on owning such specimens!

What year is this one? Looks like the real deal there.

Thanks man. Yes it looks like the real deal and feels and sounds, but its a 2010 1955 reissue completely refinished and aged and converted to HB.

All plastics and metal parts have been replaced to more accurate ones and aged, inlays have been replaced for period correct vintage ones, etc.

I had 2, 1955 reissued from a run Gibson called "1955 Year of Innovation" unfortunately i had to sell one, kept the goldtop as it was the better one.

This was the other ´55:
14038677827_fa823e4458_b.jpg

14221956621_9a8f4a9506_b.jpg

I feel like I've played 400 Les Paul's, and the only thing I can claim is never buy one online. Of all those I've played, I really only bonded with 2 of them...some combination of 'feel' and 'tone'.

I’ve been pining for one of the 60th anniversary R9’s, but the one I got to play had no mojo - big disappointment given the shocking price. Then I played a 57 reissue that was killer - it would sustain forever and certain notes would feed back even at low volumes.

A couple years ago I walked into GC to help a friend and his son buy a beginner's electric. The son picked up a used beater Les Paul Studio that they wanted $550 for. I demo'd it for them, and it had feel, sustain, held tuning, and played great. The dad only wanted to spend up to $400, but I told him he should stop looking at beginner Epi's / Fenders and but that one. They passed on it, so I bought it.

I don't know what the variation is that makes one great and the next one crappy, but since it exists, I have to play before buying.

I’ve been pining for one of the 60th anniversary R9’s, but the one I got to play had no mojo - big disappointment given the shocking price. Then I played a 57 reissue that was killer - it would sustain forever and certain notes would feed back even at low volumes.

A couple years ago I walked into GC to help a friend and his son buy a beginner's electric. The son picked up a used beater Les Paul Studio that they wanted $550 for. I demo'd it for them, and it had feel, sustain, held tuning, and played great. The dad only wanted to spend up to $400, but I told him he should stop looking at beginner Epi's / Fenders and but that one. They passed on it, so I bought it.

I don't know what the variation is that makes one great and the next one crappy, but since it exists, I have to play before buying.
Yeah, it does suck that they are so hit and miss. When you find that one that speaks to you though, man they are amazing!

Reactions: JD_
There are some absolutely beautiful Les Paul's on here! Ive always been a LP fan and have owned a lot of them over the years. Some good and some not so good ones.
Anyway, on the subject of a not so good one heres a sneeky peek of one of mine that's a work in progress. Im oldskool when it comes to technology and (ahem..) I dont own a mobile phone and the battery in my camera was flat just before, so this picture is all I can post today. I'll add more pics when I can. But this isnt one of the good guitars. lol Im tempted to sand it down and spray it black.P1010056.JPG

I feel like I got really lucky with my Les Paul studio now you guys are talking about how inconsistent they can be. I got mine on eBay a couple years back, 2006 model I think, whichever year was the first year of chambered studios.

727-F6096-0205-45-B9-BC07-2-EDBF589-A401.jpg

Quite light and loud acoustically. It has the 490r/498t pickup set, and I know a lot of people don’t seem to like them but I think they sound great. Bridge pickup is punchy and clear, leads are amazing on the neck pickup.

I feel like I got really lucky with my Les Paul studio now you guys are talking about how inconsistent they can be. I got mine on eBay a couple years back, 2006 model I think, whichever year was the first year of chambered studios.

727-F6096-0205-45-B9-BC07-2-EDBF589-A401.jpg

Quite light and loud acoustically. It has the 490r/498t pickup set, and I know a lot of people don’t seem to like them but I think they sound great. Bridge pickup is punchy and clear, leads are amazing on the neck pickup.
Well yeah, but they made it upside down ;)

Not a Les Paul but this is what the wife got me for my 57th. Plays real nice and sustains forever.

View attachment 59943
That part of your comment used to be regarded as a negative thing among guitarists. Sadly, nowadays, it's kind of a positive.

That's not a knock on other manufacturers for building a better guitar, just that Gibson is really no longer the "standard" (pun intended) that it used to be.

Yup. I was going to get a LP but all the horror stories about QC were just too much to ignore.
I think most of the QC issues you hear about are with the regular production guitars. I have an embarrassing number of recent reissues and they've all been excellent. The factory guitars have been a little more hit and miss, with poorly cut nuts and minor cosmetic issues being somewhat common. Hopefully they're turning things around now that Henry's gone.

I think most of the QC issues you hear about are with the regular production guitars. I have an embarrassing number of recent reissues and they've all been excellent. The factory guitars have been a little more hit and miss, with poorly cut nuts and minor cosmetic issues being somewhat common. Hopefully they're turning things around now that Henry's gone.
Henry was a disaster. I will say that the QC on this Collings is incredible. Guitar is flawless.

For custom shop/historic/VOS guitars, it depends on the dealer. Guitar Center/Musician's Friend/Sam Ash will just take whatever comes in and sell it. The better boutique dealers will reject stuff and send stuff back (so the stuff ends up at the big box stores).

For custom shop/historic/VOS guitars, it depends on the dealer. Guitar Center/Musician's Friend/Sam Ash will just take whatever comes in and sell it. The better boutique dealers will reject stuff and send stuff back (so the stuff ends up at the big box stores).

Bingo!

Plus, if you happen to live close to one of those boutique shops, you can go play them and pick the best of the best!:cool:

Back
Top Bottom