Let’s see those Les Pauls!

2006 Classic Premium Plus (Red)
2001 Classic Premium Plus (Gold)

i think Billy Howerdel from A Perfect Circle and I are the only people that prefer Classics :)

Hey look, somebody waded through all the Gibson hate and got the thread back on track! ;) Nice Les Pauls Greg!

Hey look, somebody waded through all the Gibson hate and got the thread back on track! ;) Nice Les Pauls Greg!

Thx man. Unfortunately I‘ve had some pretty crappy Gibson’s in the last 10 years or so as well...a lousy Flying V I got as part of payment some production work I did and an Explorer I could never really jibe with.

Thx man. Unfortunately I‘ve had some pretty crappy Gibson’s in the last 10 years or so as well...a lousy Flying V I got as part of payment some production work I did and an Explorer I could never really jibe with.
H ha no worries man.....we've all had our share of bad Gibsons. But I also have a couple of em I love! ;)

1979 Les Paul K.M.

2013-06-27 20.09.39.jpg

2013-06-27 20.09.45.jpg
Original owner. My Dad and brother bought it for me (brand new) 1980 at Wonderland Music in Dearborn, Michigan. I was 15 years old and, after seeing how serious I was about guitar over the last 3 years, they wanted to get me a good guitar to support my dreams.

It's had several different bridge pickups in it over the years starting with a swap for a Seymour Duncan "The Mag". Disconnected the neck pickup because, well you know...... Edward!

Next was an EMG 81 as I was going through my Jake E Lee inspired phase - neck pup still not connected.

Finally installed a set of Seymour Duncan "59's" and even connected the neck pickup!

The original bridge pickup made it's way to a friends super-strat around 1982 and then ended up in another friends guitar. I thought it was gone forever but got it back sometime in the late 90's. I still have the original set.

The frets were very flat from the factory. It played like butter - so damn easy. Eventually, it was inevitable that new frets were in order as they could no longer be dressed.
20130627_200848.jpg

I sent it to Phil Jacoby (http://www.philtone.com/about.html) in 2013 for an overhaul. He refretted it with stainless frets & a bone nut & Plek'd it.
My bridge saddles were pretty shot.

20130627_200959.jpg
So we replaced the bridge with a TonePros AVR2 bridge, Callaham Conversion Posts and swapped out the original zinc chrome coated tailpiece with a Kluson lightweight aluminum tailpiece.

Can't confirm this but I've read the following:

1) This was the last model Les Paul collaborated with Gibson on the design.
2) Les Paul played everyone of the K.M.'s that came off the line.

Here's some pics of the finished product.

vivrette.jeffLP 001.JPG

vivrette.jeffLP 005.JPG

2013-10-15 16.10.21.jpg

Last edited:
1979 Les Paul K.M.

View attachment 59623

View attachment 59624
Original owner. My Dad and brother bought it for me (brand new) 1980 at Wonderland Music in Dearborn, Michigan. I was 15 years old and, after seeing how serious I was about guitar over the last 3 years, they wanted to get me a good guitar to support my dreams.

It's had several different bridge pickups in it over the years starting with a swap for a Seymour Duncan "The Mag". Disconnected the neck pickup because, well you know...... Edward!

Next was an EMG 81 as I was going through my Jake E Lee inspired phase - neck pup still not connected.

Finally installed a set of Seymour Duncan "59's" and even connected the neck pickup!

The original bridge pickup made it's way to a friends super-strat around 1982 and then ended up in another friends guitar. I thought it was gone forever but got it back sometime in the late 90's. I still have the original set.

The frets were very flat from the factory. It played like butter - so damn easy. Eventually, it was inevitable that new frets were in order as they could no longer be dressed.
View attachment 59618

I sent it to Phil Jacoby (http://www.philtone.com/about.html) in 2013 for an overhaul. He refretted it with stainless frets & a bone nut & Plek'd it.

View attachment 59619
So we replaced the bridge with a TonePros AVR2 bridge, Callaham Conversion Posts and swapped out the original zinc chrome coated tailpiece with a Kluson lightweight aluminum tailpiece.

View attachment 59620

View attachment 59621

View attachment 59622

The first “59 Reissue”.......that’s awesome!

1979 Les Paul K.M.

View attachment 59623

View attachment 59624

View attachment 59618

View attachment 59619

Can't confirm this but I've read the following:

1) This was the last model Les Paul collaborated with Gibson on the design.
2) Les Paul played everyone of the K.M.'s that came off the line.

View attachment 59620

View attachment 59621

View attachment 59622

Is that Wine Red? I have GAS for a wine red LP...

Growing up in Grand Rapids, MI ..., my "guitar" mentor had one of these .... I'd heard the same thing that Les played them ALL before they were shipped out !

Anyway, how do you like the feel of stainless on your L.P. I've been jonesing for one and plan on sending it out to Philtone just like you did ! He did a Re-Fret / Plek ( and even scalloped the 21st & 22nd frets ) on a Roasted Maple neck that I have on my super-Strat.

AWESOME workmanship ! I would recommend him to everyone !

Already have one.
Jealous.... I really want a 594, preferably the double cutaway model, and have been talking myself out of the purchase almost daily! The pickup sound reminds me of my 72 SG, which I love.

Last edited:
I was never a Les Paul fan in my younger years but I now have a much greater appreciation for them. Here are a few of my somewhat recent LP additions:

2013 R9

View attachment 59639

2014 Custom Cobraburst

View attachment 59640

2011 Standard

View attachment 59641
Awesome! How come whenever I shop for LPs I can never find one with a nice top? The flame or quilt is always inconsistent and the bookmatching is lousy.

This seems to be happening with all guitars lately but even more so with Gibsons. Must be a shortage of good wood.

Awesome! How come whenever I shop for LPs I can never find one with a nice top? The flame or quilt is always inconsistent and the bookmatching is lousy.

This seems to be happening with all guitars lately but even more so with Gibsons. Must be a shortage of good wood.

Funny thing is I bought all 3 used online. I found the 2011 Standard on Guitar Center's used section of their site. I actually thought it was transparent black based on the one crappy pic and minimal description. Imagine my surprise when I ripped open the box, popped the case, and saw this PURPLE Les Paul staring back at me. I've grown to love it though. Added Suhr Aldrich pickups and it's turned into my #1.

Back
Top Bottom