Let’s see those Les Pauls!

I've never owned a real Les Paul... My first "real" guitar was a Memphis Les Paul copy loaded with DiMarzio pickups that I bought from a classmate for $100 back in '86. The pickups were worth more than I paid and probably more than the guitar!

I've wanted to like Les Pauls because they can be gorgeous, like yours! But I've never played one I really liked and they are too damn heavy...

Great example, though!
Wow...my first was a Memphis Les Paul copy as well. Never met another guitar player that was even familiar with that brand.

Niiiice Toop ! Love the Custom!

The custom is a 1987 which was originally Alpine White but it's turning into a beautiful creamy yellow...the pic. doesn't do it justice. I did install 500k CTS, audio taper pots in it and a set of 1980 T-Tops...the guitar sounds absolutely amazing coming through both my Axe-Fx II and AX8, into the the AC4C1 or AC30CC2. Of course it sounds great using the amp. sims on the Axe-Fx II as well. I also installed locking tuners. I kept all the original hardware though.

The Goldtop is a 2010 Traditional. Again, same mods, in terms of pots and tuners, although I had to do a bit of toothpick work to fill the unused holes on the back of the headstock. I posted a thread about that mod., a while back. The pick-ups are Seth Lovers and again, the guitar sounds spectacular. The neck is thicker on the Goldtop and that took a bit of getting used to.

Finally setting up a playing area, albeit in an ICF surrounded basement on a concrete floor, which does have Styrofoam under it, so at least it's warm and dry! Off to the right of the pic. is my AX8 and my Luxman tuner and CD player, with a Sansui turntable and PSB speakers. 'Kids' today who grew up listening to MP3's, have NO idea what they are missing compared to listening to an original vinyl album! :)

Last edited:
I didn't like the Burstbucker 3 in the bridge and it didn't really have good sustain or that "Les Paul" tone to me. So, I decided to give it a workover. I changed out both pickups to a Classic 57 in the neck and a Classic 57 Plus in the bridge with nickel covers. I replaced the bridge, bridge posts, tailpiece and studs with Faber products. Used the Nashville to ABR steel conversion posts, the ABR bridge with Nashville spacing, the aluminum tailpiece with the locking steel studs. Also, replaces all the electronics with Martin Six String Customs pots, and switches with real Vitamin Q caps (.022 bridge/.015 neck) with vintage wiring. I also changed the chrome Grover locking tuners to nickel Kluson's for that of a 57 and used Allparts nickel bushings to fit my headstock holes. All the plastics were changed to the Gibson Historic stuff and I added the pointers and changed the knobs to the reflectors. Not exactly a real 57, but I am pleased with the looks of it now and the tone is a huge imporovement. It is much more versitle now and I have a huge range of adjustment (no coil taps now) with the new wiring and pots.

Hey man that’s super nice! I’ve got Motor City Hot Heads in mine......love em!
Haha, thanks! It’s a sweet guitar. All I had to do is change all the wiring, pickups, file the nut slots, file the fret ends, knock some gloss off the back of the neck, set it up properly. Easy peasy. 🥺😉

Back
Top Bottom