Let’s see those Les Pauls!

IMO it's not just the pickups. It's the whole guitar. Swamp Ash body, maple/ebony neck, no tone pot and an L500XL pickup results in treble hell. At least in the bridge position. I once owned a classic N4 in the 90s but sold it because of that. I later found a mahogany version (mahogany body & neck). I like this guitar much better. By far not as bright, but I still changed the neck pickup for a less hot one.

The crazy thing is, Nuno has this incredibly bright guitar and says "you know what this needs, a ProCo Rat going into the front of the Amp!!!"

Hard to argue though. He probably cranks his amps to the point that the added treble cuts through the fatness.

I don't believe he uses the rat pedal any more. las I knew he used the Boss GT-5 in a rig run down I seen of him

The crazy thing is, Nuno has this incredibly bright guitar and says "you know what this needs, a ProCo Rat going into the front of the Amp!!!"

Hard to argue though. He probably cranks his amps to the point that the added treble cuts through the fatness.

I just need to spend some time with it. I noodle around on it unplugged enough. Besides, I love it all the same. I can see ever getting rid of it.

Two of the current collection: A G&L Doheny V12, and a modified Tweedy SG.
IMG_3216.jpeg
Taken in bad light, but man, do I love these guitars.
Here's another V12, modified with a Z-coil in between. Was an experiment on my part, and it sounds good! Used a Freeway switch, and has 22 possible sounds.
IMG_3158.jpeg

More info on the V12s? Never saw one before, but love the Jazzmaster-ish vibe they give off. How do those pickups sound?
They're a somewhat lower output humbucker with a pretty unique timbre- they, like all of the G&L MFD pickups, have a really wide frequency range, and they pair well with the treble and bass cut knobs. I think the thing that jumped out at me first about them was how articulate they are- you hear absolutely everything through them. Lots of string separation, and plenty of treble on tap, but that's by design with MFD pickups- G&Ls with MFDs aren't really meant to be run with all the knobs on 10. The lower switches between the tone knobs can set each pickup into series, split, or parallel, and each setting on each pickup really does sound good. They are really versatile guitars- I love them! These two are both custom shop models- I got lucky when I sold off a bunch of gear in the spring, and was able to pick both these up. Here's a video of a V12 in action-

They're a somewhat lower output humbucker with a pretty unique timbre- they, like all of the G&L MFD pickups, have a really wide frequency range, and they pair well with the treble and bass cut knobs. I think the thing that jumped out at me first about them was how articulate they are- you hear absolutely everything through them. Lots of string separation, and plenty of treble on tap, but that's by design with MFD pickups- G&Ls with MFDs aren't really meant to be run with all the knobs on 10. The lower switches between the tone knobs can set each pickup into series, split, or parallel, and each setting on each pickup really does sound good. They are really versatile guitars- I love them! These two are both custom shop models- I got lucky when I sold off a bunch of gear in the spring, and was able to pick both these up. Here's a video of a V12 in action-

Ooh, nice. Low-output 'buckers are great. Can it get that slightly nasal/clucky Jazzmaster tone if you play with the bass and treble cuts?

I have s/p switches in about every 'bucker-equipped guitar I have, and use the parallel mode a lot to get them down into the single-coil output range much of the time. My two PRS guitars' pickups sound fantastic that way, or with just the neck in parallel to get a bit of the Tele pickup imbalance when mixed. The DiMarzio Virtual P-90 and P-90 sized Super Distortion also sound great in parallel as well as series. Maybe when my Ricky 360/12 sells, I'll scoop up a blue one.

Ooh, nice. Low-output 'buckers are great. Can it get that slightly nasal/clucky Jazzmaster tone if you play with the bass and treble cuts?

I have s/p switches in about every 'bucker-equipped guitar I have, and use the parallel mode a lot to get them down into the single-coil output range much of the time. My two PRS guitars' pickups sound fantastic that way, or with just the neck in parallel to get a bit of the Tele pickup imbalance when mixed. The DiMarzio Virtual P-90 and P-90 sized Super Distortion also sound great in parallel as well as series. Maybe when my Ricky 360/12 sells, I'll scoop up a blue one.
I've never played a real Jazzmaster, so I'm not sure I could say how similar they are, but I don't think the standard Doheny (which is single coil) or the V12 was really supposed to sound just like a Jazzmaster- they're kind of their own thing, particularly the V12. If it helps at all, here's another clip of the same player going through some of the cleaner, funkier sounds from the V12.

I've never played a real Jazzmaster, so I'm not sure I could say how similar they are, but I don't think the standard Doheny (which is single coil) or the V12 was really supposed to sound just like a Jazzmaster- they're kind of their own thing, particularly the V12. If it helps at all, here's another clip of the same player going through some of the cleaner, funkier sounds from the V12.

The tone of the Jazzmaster is very distinct. Listen at 0:04 and again at 1:15 to the rhythm guitar:

The Silver Sky is a perfect Stratocaster.

So I see this post and think well that’s a bold statement. But in the years I’ve been here I know your not one given to hyperbole, so I decide to finally find one and give it a shot.

You were right.

Got over any lingering aesthetics issue the instant I played it...and my Home studio became just a little less roomy.

Thanks for the tip!

So I see this post and think well that’s a bold statement. But in the years I’ve been here I know your not one given to hyperbole, so I decide to finally find one and give it a shot.

You were right.

Got over any lingering aesthetics issue the instant I played it...and my Home studio became just a little less roomy.

Thanks for the tip!
I'm so happy you tried one and fell in love too! :D

These Strandberg guitars knock me out. If you write more about your experience with it, let us know – give us a link.

I'm not gonna lie, it's a trip. It's 5 lbs, by far the lightest guitar I own, and resonates more than any of my other models.

The EndurNeck is definitely taking some getting used to, but man... it plays like a dream, and sounds incredible. The Fluence moderns can be on the bright side, I might do the HF tilt jumper mod.

But it's got 9 distinct sounds between the two voices, the coil splitting, and the three position selector. And even unplugged, you canhear and feel the whole thing resonate with the strings. And it's just suuuper comfy.

I’ll echo those comments on the Strandberg, mine doesn’t go a day without finding its way into my hands...a lot.
I play all my guitars reasonably frequently, but the strandberg gets played everyday...it’s just too easy.

Been on a Suhr kick lately, picked this 08 at the local GC on Saturday. I am also going to be changing all of the hardware and pick guard to black (ordered the pick guard today from Suhr super easy to deal with) Ill take better pictures when it is all complete.
IMG-1937.jpg

IMG-1935.jpg

IMG-1936.jpg

I should also have another Modern arriving hopefully this Wed.

Make sure they don't have any dead frets.

Been on a Suhr kick lately, picked this 08 at the local GC on Saturday. I am also going to be changing all of the hardware and pick guard to black (ordered the pick guard today from Suhr super easy to deal with) Ill take better pictures when it is all complete.
IMG-1937.jpg

IMG-1935.jpg

IMG-1936.jpg

I should also have another Modern arriving hopefully this Wed.

Back
Top Bottom