Let’s calm down Chuggers

Just wanted to say I know there has been confusion the new firmware since it’s patiently been waited on. Ok, that patient word may be a stretch.

When I was playing with Cygnus, it made me realize as a young teen with a modler box that I can’t think of the name of, and they all sounded similar through my $100 Marshall amp.

Years later I’d be the guy going and trying several amps and knowing I couldn’t get more than 1. Settled for the digitech RP 500 ( which I still have love for that thing)

Then, Fractal came out and from the vids I heard, I could t believe what I’m getting myself I nto. I can have now a Mesa boogie, a Fender Tweed, and a Marshall JCM800, all in one unit.

Fastofroward to the fact they’re now giving us constant update’s on EVERY model. This is similar to buying a car and they just say, every few months bring it in and we will give you the new upgrades on the car.

Long Story short, what the FAS team and Cliff did, is out of this world considerate. Most companies would see $$$ in that thought process and charge for those updates.

Yes there is hiccups with some beta issues, but if you’ve been around since the 2 like me, they work these kinks out, then little bands like Metallica go world around rocking with this very same equipment.

So, let’s just thank the team and be excited that we literally have top of the line production equipment that’s constantly growing to be more.

Thanks for my vent FAS and long live FRACTAL

Last edited:
I bought the first iteration of the Axe-FX in either late 2007 or early 2008 (Firmware 3 or 4). The Axe was mentioned on a third-party Line6 Forum. I have the original invoice but can't find where I have it because I just moved. This was before Ultra came out and the original was not called Standard.

Anyay, after over at least 100 FREE Firmware updatesa I haven't counted how many are in my Axe folder), does any one who has owned an Axe (any version) feel that are earlier Amp Model sounds better to their ears than pre-Cygnus models?

I'm not saying that any model was better (subjectively) in the past, just curious on other's experience.

When I got the Axe II, after driving to NH to pick it up and jump the wait list, I A/B'd it with my original. Some downloaded presets sounded better to me on the original but that was only because I was used the way that patch sounded.

My only complaints over the years is that the amazing updates and constant perfectionism of Cliff and Co., usually bork the many third-party patches I loved. Someone uploaded a great sounding Pink Floyd "Dogs" patch with a good simulation of the Yamaha RA-200 (Cliff, model that and Maestro PS1-a already), that the new firmware killed. At that point, I just update and luckily Austin, 2112, M@tt, and others update their patches to the new firmware. I deeply appreciate that extremely time consuming effort.

AB's Axe8 patches significantly such that the Axe8 sounded as good if not better than my AxeII at the time. His patches are game changers auto buys. I appreciate the free revisions. In the past, I've bought many packs that the Seller never updated, so basically, they are now off-kilter.

So, I just stick to AB's Leon's, and a few other generous forum member's patches. Sorry if I left anyone out. We have a great Fractal Family.

This needs to resonate a bit more with everyone. I feel like sometimes ( myself included ) we get so caught up in what the "next" thing is, that we forget to enjoy what we have now. It's been said enough in the forum but we should be playing more, and letting firmware upgrades be pleasant surprises instead of hitting F5, refreshing the forum like crazy. Enjoy your evening everyone, happy playing, and thanks to the FAS team for all the hard work they put in.

The extent to which digital amp solutions in general and Fractal Audio in particular has spoiled us and reset our expectations somewhere halfway to Alpha Centauri is just nuts!

Sometimes it’s hard to remember to just play the guitar and enjoy.

As a bassist, I could easily be happy plugging into my GK 1001RB-II with Tech 21 DP-3X & maybe a chorus pedal in front. But with the FM3 I can have so many good sounds at the tap of a button. It really is game changer. I don't buy effects pedals anymore. So it saves me money (at least that's what I told my wife:cool:) I haven't even been diving that deep (yet). Add the updates, all the guitar amps/cabs & the ability to use as my recording interface. I don't really see any way anyone could be unhappy with it. Realistically, after this last beta is finished, I don't see a need to update again. Unless Cliff & the boys decide to add a GK amp emulation or x-over block.:p So I agree with the OP, people need to calm down & just be happy sometimes.

The extent to which digital amp solutions in general and Fractal Audio in particular has spoiled us and reset our expectations somewhere halfway to Alpha Centauri is just nuts!

Sometimes it’s hard to remember to just play the guitar and enjoy.
Add to that the always endless search for better sounding IRs…
My practise sessions often look like this:
Sitting down, dialing in tone, refining tone, scrapping tone, dialing in again, using 100 different IRs, refining tone, being content with tone - spent two hours on just tone adjustments …

Add to that the always endless search for better sounding IRs…
My practise sessions often look like this:
Sitting down, dialing in tone, refining tone, scrapping tone, dialing in again, using 100 different IRs, refining tone, being content with tone - spent two hours on just tone adjustments …
I've been making my way through the new factory presets. Very. Slowly.

Back
Top Bottom