Les Paul with bolt on neck, Yay or Ney

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
Greetings people.
Since I am located in the Far East and big lover of Japanese made guitars, I am seeing a lot of older Japanese Les Paul kind of guitars wiht bolt on necks. Are there any down sides or issuse with this, rather than the classic Gibson kind of made Les Paul.

I wouldnt think it would be any issues apart from the rage of the Gibson purists. Whats your take on this?

Very tempted on this bolt on neck Gold Top style from Greco... old 80s for 250bux
greco.jpg

Upside is you can tweak the angle of the neck as you desire. Downside is there may be some tonal change but this may be negligible to most people. I think it's cool.

I had a Sekova like that. It was a decent guitar. Play it and see how it goes, I guess....

Indeed, I wish I could. Under current travel restrictions I am in China and the guitar in Japan, cant give it a spin. Might buy it anyway for the heck of it. Decent price and looking good. And Japanese stores are usually very honest in terms to deal with and disclose any problems

Upside is you can tweak the angle of the neck as you desire. Downside is there may be some tonal change but this may be negligible to most people. I think it's cool.

For sure. And unscrew the neck, stuff it in the luggage when traveling. Looking flippin awesome and great price. Tempted, tempted indeed.

I have a '77 Ibanez Deluxe 59'er bolt on that still plays and sounds great. It's been years since it's seen regular use but I don't think I've never had to adjust the neck. I don't think I'd take it apart and put it in my luggage but I'd certainly gig with it tonight, if called in to action.

Pretty cool that they embossed the pickups, like the 1972 Gibsons. I have a 72 SG, and those Greco pickups made me do a double-take! A friend had a Ibanez bolt-on Les Paul and it played and sounded great. Go for it.

Pretty cool that they embossed the pickups, like the 1972 Gibsons. I have a 72 SG, and those Greco pickups made me do a double-take! A friend had a Ibanez bolt-on Les Paul and it played and sounded great. Go for it.
The Sekova I had was loaded with T-tops. Not sure if they were transplants from a Gibson or if they copied the pickup bobbin molds.

The Sekova I had was loaded with T-tops. Not sure if they were transplants from a Gibson or if they copied the pickup bobbin molds.
The T-Tops were awesome, versatile pickups. I love them in the SG. If those Grecos sound like that, they alone would make it worth buying the guitar!

Back
Top Bottom