Les Paul Estate Auction

NY Guitarist

Power User
Les Paul Estate Auction

Some serious history here.

http://www.juliensauctions.com/aucti...aul/index.html

From the web site:

"The proceeds of the auction will benefit the Les Paul Foundation established by Les Paul who was encouraged at a young age by his mother to follow his instincts regardless of how unusual or different his approach. Paul felt that establishing a foundation, which could provide that same encouragement to so many others was the best way to perpetuate the areas most important to him in his lifetime. The mission of the Les Paul Foundation is to honor and remember the life, spirit, and legacy of Les Paul by supporting music education, engineering and innovation as well as medical research. The Les Paul Foundation is an approved IRS 501(c)3 organization.

The Les Paul Estate Auction will be a moment to remember in the history of Rock N’ Roll. Be inspired by Paul’s innovations and see an unmatched collection of the most innovative electric guitars assembled in one place."

"1927 Gibson L-5 Sunburst Cremona serial number 87230 (Est. $10,000 - $15,000) Hole drilled through the original pickguard, back re-finished, no original case. This is one of the two L-5s purchased by Les Paul, then going by the name Rhubarb Red, at Gibson in Kalamazoo Michigan with his friend and band mate Sunny Joe Wolverton in 1933. Paul discusses the trip and purchasing this guitar extensively in his autobiography. He later gave this guitar to a friend Dave Moran requested the guitar be returned to Paul upon his death."

OMFG: I would sell my (and potentially several other people's) kidneys to buy that.

Pawn Stars just bought the wife's SG for $90,000 at 10pm eastern time.

"# 1952 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop (Est. $14,000 - $16,000) No serial number, Trapeze tailpiece, tuners have been changed to Grover’s, pat. Pending with original case. This is one of the very first Les Paul guitars produced. The back of the headstock is hand signed, “Les Paul.” The guitar is pictured on page 238 of Paul’s autobiography Les Paul In His Own Words. "

I think they missed a zero on that estimate. A pre-production Les paul prototype? Jaysus, that's worth a fortune! You'll get guys like Keith Richard bidding for it.

"# 1952 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop (Est. $14,000 - $16,000) No serial number, Trapeze tailpiece, tuners have been changed to Grover’s, pat. Pending with original case. This is one of the very first Les Paul guitars produced. The back of the headstock is hand signed, “Les Paul.” The guitar is pictured on page 238 of Paul’s autobiography Les Paul In His Own Words. "

I think they missed a zero on that estimate. A pre-production Les paul prototype? Jaysus, that's worth a fortune! You'll get guys like Keith Richard bidding for it.

I wondered the same thing. These items will be in big demand. And these aren't things just signed by Les Paul, but were his personal possessions, including equipment he toured with.

Last edited:
Incredible stuff up for sale there, wow. This item in particular made me drool:

1951 Fender Nocaster serial number 1751(Est. $40,000 - $60,000). Butterscotch with black pickguard, neck date “5-10-51 T.G.”, no body date, with original thermometer case. Guitar has replaced volume and one tone pot but originals are present. This guitar was personally gifted to Les Paul by Leo Fender who signed the back of the headstock “Leo Fender.” The guitar is uncharacteristically light weighing only 7.4 pounds.

Est. $40K -> $60K??? I bet this goes for at least $500K...

Guys like Larry Ellison will also be bidding for this stuff - in essence, mere mortals like us need not even turn up.

(For those who don't know, Larry Ellison is a guitar-playing wannabe who also happens to have several billion dollars as a result of owning Oracle).

Or even two zero's!!! I'll play Kreskin here and make a prediction that this Les Paul may become the most expensive one ever sold given it's history, ownership, and significance...I can imagine the feeding frenzy over this one among the uber-rich who read Guitar Afficionado heh...but man what a sweeeet LP!

Thanks Manning... off work and Larry still comes up! Guess it's just the typical Larry-A-Thon... oh well, Oracle technologies pay my bills and allow me to get cool toys like Axe-Fx... just not Les Paul estate type cool toys :)

Thanks Manning... off work and Larry still comes up! Guess it's just the typical Larry-A-Thon... oh well, Oracle technologies pay my bills and allow me to get cool toys like Axe-Fx... just not Les Paul estate type cool toys :)

Hey, Larry helped pay for most of my toys as well. When I was a full-time musician I couldn't afford anything decent - I used to stress over buying strings.

Hmmm, just spoke to a friend who is in the auction trade... he said it is fairly common to put "estimates" on items which are woefully low, so as to create unnecessary hope in the mortal world. I'm not sure I see the logic in this, but whatever.

Anyway, he gave some example... at an auction a few years back, Christie's put an estimate for Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Lenny" strat at "$15,000-$20,000". It sold for $623,000.

I'm with the crowd that says they missed TWO zeroes on this... One of the very first Les Pauls ever? Hand signed by the man himself? Played and kept by the man himself? Established rock stars and dot com bazillionaires will driving over each other's Bugatti Veyrons to get to this one!!! ;)

I'm with the crowd that says they missed TWO zeroes on this... One of the very first Les Pauls ever? Hand signed by the man himself? Played and kept by the man himself? Established rock stars and dot com bazillionaires will driving over each other's Bugatti Veyrons to get to this one!!! ;)

I think you're right. If Mary Ford's SG went for $110K then this may well fetch near a million.

This made me go and find out the highest amount ever paid for a guitar. The winner is $2.7 million paid for an (otherwise standard) US made Strat that was signed by numerous guitarists (Richards, Clapton, May, Page, Gilmour, Iommi, Knopfler, Blackmore, Townshend, Angus & Malcolm Young, Paul McCartney... and um, Bryan Adams) for a Tsunami-aid charity in 2006.

Ignoring that sort of charity stunt, it looks like the highest confirmed price is $959K for Clapton's "Blackie" in 2004.

The highest unconfirmed price is for Hendrix's 1968 Woodstock Strat, sold to Microsoft's Paul Allen for an alleged $2 million in 1998.

All that cool stuff. What doesn't belong? How bout some Boss pedals for 3 to 5 grand?!? I don't care if Les had sex with them, they ain't worth that kind of cash. :)

Back
Top Bottom