Lend me your ears!

Amine

Hello! I've been trying to replicate this lead guitar tone for a while, and I've finally hit a wall where it's not quite there and I'm not sure what steps to take from here. I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to guitar tones and have some trouble comparing the two especially since one is in a finished mix, and the other is not.

I have attached a sample of my guitar tone and my signal chain, a video of the tone I'm trying to replicate, and finally a picture of the setup the guitarist with the great tone is using. I'd love to get some third party opinions and pointers on where to go from here.

My current tone & signal chain
http://puu.sh/jzNBi/35778fc74f.mp3

cb94cea213.jpg

Tone I'm trying to replicate + picture of equipment used
[video]https://youtu.be/l5MyUr-Bo3Y?t=175[/video] (2:55)

20141118163225.jpg

(Note: The Kemper is not used in non-live applications)
The guitarist seems to use: "Custom Audio Aplifiers 3+SE, VHT Valvulator GP3, VHT Classic, Blackstar Series One 412B Cabinet, Crews 212SP Cabinet", and a selection of microphones ranging from Shure SM57s, and more according to his blog.

Any advice, criticism and pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Very close, my guess here is a Scheps plugin on the track, try a 57 mic emulation with a " Transformer " preamp in the cab block.
That wil get you closer

Very close, my guess here is a Scheps plugin on the track, try a 57 mic emulation with a " Transformer " preamp in the cab block.
That wil get you closer

I'm not exactly getting what you're saying here. I think there may be a typo in the sentence, but I think I am getting the gist of it. I added a SM57 mic on the cab block, but I'm not entirely sure what the "Transformer" part is supposed to mean. Where can I find that? Thank you.

there should be a Preamp tab/page in the Cab block. he's referring to the Transformer type of preamp.

No. His screen shots show Ultra Res. I didn't look closely before and he's definitely missing the a Preamp tab because he's on an older firmware.

Update your Axe Edit version.

Ah, silly me. How could I not have thought about that? I seem to have gotten the "Preamp" page to appear now, but I'm not having any luck finding transformer settings. The preamp mode and type seem to be un-editable. This is what it looks like for me, right now.

0abc93619e.png

Did you refresh definitions in the Settings screen?

Thank you very much. That fixed it.

Now, my last question.. Now that I have "High Quality" in the preamp mode and "Transformer" in the preamp type, will this make any difference if I leave the drive/saturation/bass/mid/treble at 0, or do I need to do some tweaking?

I have attached a sample of my guitar tone and my signal chain, a video of the tone I'm trying to replicate, and finally a picture of the setup the guitarist with the great tone is using. I'd love to get some third party opinions and pointers on where to go from here.

In addition to Chris' point on the preamp, you might also find benefit in running the Cab block as "Stereo UltraRes" with the same Cab, but the second cab set at .300 ms DELAY parameter. Might be worth a shot for a more "amp in the room" tone.

Back
Top Bottom