Legato lesson?

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
Looking to improve my legato playing - I know theres a ton of videos out there. Just trying to narrow it down and see if anyone has any favorites they might recommend :cool:

Another +1 on Alan. Simply an amazing guitarist/musician. I start my students with a major scale, 3 notes per string, ascending for the hammer-ons and descending for the pull-offs. You can start there. Just 1 pick stroke per string.

Old Richie Kotzen (Shrapnel Records days) lessons helped me immensely when I was knee deep in that...also Alex Skolnick (Testament) ..IF you would like a metal flavor...then again, you can adapt anything to your own style.

May be worth checking out!!

Thanks everyone - all these players have influenced me in one way or another. Aside from Holdsworth ( whose playing really scares me btw) , Kotzen ( with fingers ?!?!) and Skolnick have always stuck out as having amazing legato technique. In fact I was listening to Testament right before I typed my original message !
Well - time to get practicing - thank again all :cool:

Thanks everyone - all these players have influenced me in one way or another. Aside from Holdsworth ( whose playing really scares me btw) , Kotzen ( with fingers ?!?!) and Skolnick have always stuck out as having amazing legato technique. In fact I was listening to Testament right before I typed my original message !
Well - time to get practicing - thank again all :cool:

Actually, that's why I mentioned Kotzen during his young Shrapnel days because that was way before he went pick-less...

Always remember, even if you can't (or can) play some of the stuff these guys have to offer, you will ALWAYS come away with something you can use in YOUR arsenal...

Alan Holdsworth was great. We played a gig with him at the Troubador in Las Vegas many years ago. I sat right across from him in the dressing room while he was warming up and I couldn't figure out literally anything he was doing. Amazing and unique player. He was a really nice guy also.

Satriani plays a lot of nice legato runs.
Paul Gilbert teaches some legato riffs in some of his instructional videos.
Shawn Lane has some great instructional videos also.

Marshall Harrison does a regular live feed on YT that is always full of insane Lane/Holdsworth/Govan style legato stuff (and his own stuff for good measure). As mentioned, Tom Quayle and Deryl Gabel are awesome, as is Martin Miller.

Context is important too; to me there's the rock/metal school of legato (which is really hammer on and pull offs with defined rhythmic accents) and the fusion school (which goes for the super smooth horn style "true" legato sound). Both styles are awesome and well worth investigating.

Back
Top Bottom