Legacy Firmware Solution

I already said thanks in the main Q6 thread, but it can't be said enough.

The support of the core Axe-FX and AX8 products is so far beyond anything I've ever seen for any product of any kind whatsoever that I'm dazzled and amazed. Consider my jaw dropped. Permanently. Best gear purchases--evah! :D

Let's all chip in and buy Cliff the best piece of guitar gear available.
Ooops! Too bad, he already owns it.

This is the first company I've dealt with that actually cares about ME.

Thank you Cliff, seriously.

Like so many others here, I greatly appreciate your efforts here Cliff. As a long-time Fractal user, I am so thankful that you continue to support us old timers. As we say in Texas, y'all rock.

HUGE thank you Cliff- this is above and beyond customer service.. nice silver lining to counter the last couple of weeks of bad news. Cheers amigo..

The "Force Modeling Version" option was added so you wouldn't have to do that. Moot point now though.

I need no option. If you say the latest firmware is your best work, that's more than enough for me. In Cliff I trust! I've been 100% satisfied with my unit for years now. I usually can't tell any difference between firmware updates anymore anyway. Thanks for all you do Cliff!

To be fair none of us outside of the developers know how much space the legacy modelling code took up, it could have been 50%, or 20%, who knows. If it was 50% or so, then I think we're good for a while. Given how complex each modelling revision must be, I'd say it took up a fair chunk of space.

Looking at the raw SYSEX it's 3.7 vs 2.8 MB for XL+ vs MKII. Not scientific I know.

But you could compare the size of Mk1/MkII 5.03 and 6.0 to calculate the space savings somewhat. Your calculations wouldn't be a 1 to 1 equivalent to the space saved by deleting the legacy version option, but it would be close.

May I ask if that means that we are able to update endlessy? If I understand correct, the old firmware will get removed by updating to a new firmware? If not, how long will this keep the older units updatable?
There is necessarily a limit to any finite space. The XL+ is not *endlessly* upgradeable either. What you probably mean is: "Does this guarantee the Mki/II will be able to upgrade as long as the XL/XL+/AX8?" and the only way they could answer in the affirmative to that is if they knew the 'end size' of the EOL FW for the XL series. Given that those units have a 4X size advantage and it is unreasonable to ask for any advance notice on replacement hardware/EOL for the XL series, this strikes me as a question you cannot expect a definite response to other than "no/probably not" which we knew already, because, physics.

What IS clear from the chain of events in recent history as well as FAS's entire MO is that they will continue to provide value to all their customers as long as they can (and then some).

As for comparing download file sizes, I am not even sure if that is a meaningful exercise. Some of the statements FAS has made regarding relative 'space' for things implies that not all of the space is partitioned evenly (i.e. boot, code, data/amps/IRs ) therefore it is not clear how much of any given size difference between FWS, etc, reflect a change in the critical path area... and again, it is probably unreasonable to ask for deep information regarding the hardware architecture or guarantees with regard to its use/development.

The world is an uncertain place. This uncertainty is a "wonderful and horrible at the same" time sort of thing.

Last edited:
There is necessarily a limit to any finite space. The XL+ is not *endlessly* upgradeable either. What you probably mean is: "Does this guarantee the Mki/II will be able to upgrade as long as the XL/XL+/AX8?" and the only way they could answer in the affirmative to that is if they knew the 'end size' of the EOL FW for the XL series. Given that those units have a 4X size advantage and it is unreasonable to ask for any advance notice on replacement hardware/EOL for the XL series, this strikes me as a question you cannot expect a definite response to other than "no/probably not" which we knew already, because, physics.

What IS clear from the chain of events in recent history as well as FAS's entire MO is that they will continue to provide value to all their customers as long as they can (and then some).

As for comparing download file sizes, I am not even sure if that is a reasonable exercise. Some of the statements FAS has made regarding relative 'space' for things implies that not all of the space is partitioned evenly (i.e. boot, code, data/amps/IRs ) therefore it is not clear how much of any given size difference between FWS, etc, reflect a change in the critical path area... and again, it is probably unreasonable to ask for deep information regarding the hardware architecture or guarantees with regard to its use/development.

The world is an uncertain place. This uncertainty is a wonderful and horrible at the same time sort of thing.

Yes, you're right. Endlessly is not the correct word. I did mean if it's now the same as with the XL because we have one FW installed and not 5 or something as on the XL.

This is AXFXcellent now I don't have to worry about which modeling version my amp is on and I can concentrate on Playing.
Perfect solution I think

Even I don't own a Mark II anymore (changed it for an AX8 months ago) I have to say FANTASTIC what you do for your customers Cliff and Team.

Hats off!

Ive been a happy AF2 user and forum reader for 2,5 years, but today I registered to say that this is something outstanding!
I wish someday I'll develop a fraction of this pursue for perfection! Thank you so much for great example of such attitude mr.Chase, you and FAS team are truly inspiring in every aspect!

Sometimes you just gotta say un-fucking believable. Cliff...you operate on a higher level of existence than the vast majority of us puny humans. Please, continue to blow my mind sir.

Back
Top Bottom