Legacy "Character" control - how to replicate and dynamic/shelving EQ question

Tiger1016

Inspired
I know the Character control from the Quantum days is long gone, but I read that there is a way to replicate it in the III. However, there does not seem to be any documentation on this as far as I can find, so I want to confirm and perhaps help other out with the same question.

Question #1
The old Character control had an option of being set as “Dynamic” and the controls were Freq, Q, and Char Amt.
In the Input EQ page within the amp block, would the equivalent of this be Dynamic would now be the Type = “Peaking” and Char Amt is now the “Gain”?

Question #2
But is a Peaking Input EQ truly the same as what the old Character control did, and do the Peaking EQ controls in the PEQ block also do the same thing as the options we have in the amp blocks Input EQ section?
The old description for Character made it seem like there was more going on.

CHARACTER, CHARACTER FREQ – These two parameters control a powerful inverse homomorphic filter which adjusts tone dynamically in a very musical way. CHARACTE FREQUENCY sets the center frequency of the filter while CHARACTER sets how pronounced the effect is. To darken the tone when playing harder, one might set the frequency to 10000 Hz and the amount to a negative value. A positive setting would have the reverse effect of brightening the amp when pushed. CHARACTER defaults to zero when amp type is changed.

Question #3
I used to setup the Character control to help push the mids when I would dig in harder on some of my heavy rhythm patches.

I am now coming across some instances where I also want to experiment with not only boosting the mids but also pulling back on the bass some when I am playing harder. I have not experimented with the PEQ yet, but my understanding is I could do both at the same time with it.

I have not come across documentation yet that helps me understand the difference between Peaking and Shelving in the PEQ block. My basic question for now is can Peaking and Shelving EQ controls be setup to effectively do the same thing? For example, if Peaking and Shelving were set up using the same frequency and Q, but peaking had a gain of -4db and Shelving was +4db, would they be doing the exact same thing?

Try attach the envelope controller to those PEQ bands - this will introduce the dynamic element that a fixed PEQ boost/cut doesn't have. You'll need to play with the envelope modifier to get the desired dynamic range.

The old Character control had an option of being set as “Dynamic” and the controls were Freq, Q, and Char Amt.
In the Input EQ page within the amp block, would the equivalent of this be Dynamic would now be the Type = “Peaking” and Char Amt is now the “Gain”?
I used the Character parameter in most presets in the AX8 and as bummed when I saw it was removed in Ares. But the Input EQ - Peaking is giving me the same results. Whether it's exactly the same as the Character parameter really hasn't been that important to me since it's doing the same thing to my ears.

My basic question for now is can Peaking and Shelving EQ controls be setup to effectively do the same thing? For example, if Peaking and Shelving were set up using the same frequency and Q, but peaking had a gain of -4db and Shelving was +4db, would they be doing the exact same thing?
Not really. The only way they can be similar is to use a lower and upper frequency together. Using the PEQ block and using Frequencies 2 and 4 set to shelving, setting the gains to +4 can yield a similar result as having Frequency 3 set to Peaking and gain at -4. The curve is similar but the noticeable difference is the low and high shelves are 4dB louder.

With Shelving, the amount of gain +/- is going to be the 'height' or 'depth' of the shelf at the end of the frequency range. Frequencies 1 and 2 control the low shelf, 4 and 5 the high shelf. Frequency 3 does not have a Shelving option. Basically, the Q determines if it's a 'step' or 'ramp' from the frequency to the end of the shelf. The Peaking is a bump or a dip, the Q determines the focus of the gain- from a spike to a 'mound' or broad 'valley'.

Back
Top Bottom