Left my Axe-Fx III on a little too long, oops.....

Narrator: "After reviewing forum contributors responses, @rnjscooter swiftly changed the thread title to:
Left my Axe-Fx III on a little too long, F%#$ YES!....
The end"

****-yeah.gif
Its called living life on the edge when your over 50.

I just leave mine on...maybe not smart but I do the same with many computers...is it better/worse to leave on vs turn on/off all the time???

On older equipment, stuff with tubes or class A (biased on all the time) transistors, there was a huge thermal delta between off (cold) and fully warmed up. It took the equipment considerable time to reach thermal equilibrium once powered on, and since the equipment was all analog, the thermal state impacted the performance. For that reason professional studios kept equipment running 24/7. The large temp swings were also believed to cause component failures due to thermal shock, so keeping it warm all the time was believed to result in fewer problems.

Modern digital equipment (like the Fractal products, your computer, etc), have very little analog circuitry and thus behave the same warm vs cold. They also produce considerably less heat. Yes, the CPU on your computer might be fairly toasty, but it is quite small, and the small amount of heat it produces (when properly regulated) has little effect on its performance. If your fan or cooling system fails, well then that is another story. Bottom line, no down side to shutting it off when not in use - it takes almost no time to warm up and the thermal shock is minimal. On the flip side, it consumes almost nothing compared to vintage tube amps and class A analog consoles, so leaving it on isn't a huge deal either.

Back
Top Bottom