Led Zeppelin isolated tracks

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
If you think about, the reason people love analog media over digital is because of the imperfections, the way it creates subtle distortions.

And also, good music, even played imperfectly, is still good music. Crap or average music perfectly aligned on a grid is still crap or average music.

I love supro sound. And lo-fi vintage guitar amp & vintage recording. But also love modern amps & recording tricks and hi-fi standard. The best is to mix both world...

I'll go even one step further, write good music and whatever you end up using, lo-fi vintage stuff, hi-fi modern stuff, it won't matter much. I see some artists go the extra mile to use vintage stuff, didn't the Foo Fighters make a big deal on wanting to record on analog tape? As if that will somehow make their music become as good as the greats of the past. Just write good music. That's all you need. And l33t marketing skills to sell your product to the masses, because record companies sure as hell aren't going to do it for you anymore.

Just came across this:

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/hear-isolated-guitar-and-bass-tracks-led-zeppelins-ramble

While listening to those stems I thought how incredible it is that what sounds like pretty amateurish tracks by today's standards make such a great song when mixed back together.
Maybe it's those imperfections that make 70s' music so great, that "humanity" is what's missing in most of today's songs.
Today's music would sound pretty much the same if you had to pay for materials on each take. These days everything is digital and one track can have parts dubbed in, dropped in and done over and over until it's "perfect". I remember Joe Walsh talking about this very thing, music today is too perfect, over produced. Still some good music out there but a lot of the "mojo" is missing due to the lack of "mistakes" and gelling as a band during a recording session.

Parts are recorded individually, a lot of times emailed from different locations. It's almost as though the Milli Vanilli concept was ahead of its time with the use of tracks live these days. A lot of bands would get exposed live without tracks because they can't reproduce what's been assembled on a computer.

Over produced, perfectly aligned to a grid autotuned music seems to do fine these days. DJ's are treated as rockstars for playing their playlists with over produced, perfectly aligned to a grid autotuned music. Methinks that is not so much the problem, although for a good rock performance put to a record it doesn't help, I think its the excuse. If we blame modern recording methods that somehow absolves us from writing the music that the people want to hear. For a variety of reasons rock has just fallen out of favor with the masses and we have become what jazz became after rock emerged in the 50's, a niche music for a niche market. But that still doesn't stop a good song from being recognized and liked by the masses. I loath EDM, or pop, or rap, but I can still recognize a good song in those genres, so I refuse to believe that a mass public that no longer is into rock as they used to be won't recognize a good rock song either.

So quit chasing vintage guitar tones, quit making music that only other guitarists like, quit making videos that only appeals to other guitarists, learn to make good music again. Incorporate EDM, rap or pop into your music if you want too, anything but this inward backwards looking. Stop chasing that illusive guitar tone in your head and try to hear the songs that are in your head instead. And work on those l33t marketing skills of course, because the record companies sure as hell aren't going to promote you.

Everyone is making a good point but we're not saying we should go back to reel to reel?

I do love Zepplin's studio albums but do you think that if Zepplin had todays technologies it wouldn't be as good? I wonder. At least we wouldn't have that stupid drum bass pedal squeaking thue the whole album.

Don't forget nostalgia is mighty powerful. Some of that old stuff "imprinted" on us and no matter what it still sounds great to us. I also believe the autotuned / grid snapping kills the soul of the songs, but it also has to be a good song to begin with. Somewhere along the line people lost their uniqueness, and everything is starting to sound the same.

Back
Top Bottom